The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

SEC Championships

Here's one for Ed.

Announcer makes the comment that she heard an unbelievable statistic the other day. The Philadelphia Phillies will be attempting to make it to their 3rd straight World Series this year and no team has done that since the Cardinals in the '40s, pre-WWII. Huh?

It was actually the Cardinals in 42, 43 & 44, right in the middle of the war
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Ouch!!

Plate umpire takes a ball off the batter's elbow to the stomach and goes down. Patti Lyons left the game in the top of the 5th and was replaced by Scott Brians.

I guess it will be the umpire's fault for whomever loses the game.
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

As predicted, LSU is coming back Just tied the game up with a 4-run (so far) 5th inning.

Announcer (Smith, I think) talking about how the pitcher couldn't throw fro the 15+ minutes they were waiting for a replacement umpire.

I know if this happened in ASA, I'm letting the pitcher throw as much as she elects to during th delay.

Anything in NCAA which would prohibit that?
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Did it look like Patti got hit in the ribs or the groin? Was he even wearing a chest protector? It looked like it hit him high in the chest and then the groin, but it didn't look like a hard hit. Must have hit him right on a rib or something?
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

belt buckle maybe?

Pat was 'knocked out' on a foul tip a year or so ago too.

(that being said, I love his zone behind the plate)
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUchem View Post
Did it look like Patti got hit in the ribs or the groin? Was he even wearing a chest protector? It looked like it hit him high in the chest and then the groin, but it didn't look like a hard hit. Must have hit him right on a rib or something?
He may have been wearing one, but not a full one. At first, I thought maybe it caught him in the groin just above the cup, but I think it caught him just below the rib cage.

This year, I dug out my old ribbed Rawlings UGP CP I bought about 40 years ago. Very comfortable and provides great protection from the collar bone to the belt buckle.
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
The hit down the left field line by Alabama for what should have been a double. The 3BU had good postion but called her out when she was safe easily. The girl slid in head first, hands touched second, body then came into the base and then the tag was made. Looked like an easy one to get right. Dave
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

People complaining about umpires, someone better check that bottle on the scorekeeper's desk.

Batter swings at a pitch in the dirt long before the catcher has an opportunity and they ruled it a passed ball.

I have no idea how anyone would expect the catcher to cleanly field a ball in the dirt with a bat in your line of vision.
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
belt buckle maybe?

Pat was 'knocked out' on a foul tip a year or so ago too.

(that being said, I love his zone behind the plate)
Here we go again. That was NOT a foul tip. Dave
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Here we go again. That was NOT a foul tip. Dave
(hanging head in shame)
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The hit down the left field line by Alabama for what should have been a double. The 3BU had good postion but called her out when she was safe easily. The girl slid in head first, hands touched second, body then came into the base and then the tag was made. Looked like an easy one to get right. Dave
We saw a different play. No doubt it was close, but I saw the runner with an abnormal wide turn and approach angle try to reach the base with a hand to the fielder's left foot blocking the base (legally). But I thought the tag was there before the body got to the base. Left hand may have gotten in, but the umpire didn't have TV and replays.

I was actually paying more attention to the point she didn't seem to finish her overhand.
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
We saw a different play. No doubt it was close, but I saw the runner with an abnormal wide turn and approach angle try to reach the base with a hand to the fielder's left foot blocking the base (legally). But I thought the tag was there before the body got to the base. Left hand may have gotten in, but the umpire didn't have TV and replays.

I was actually paying more attention to the point she didn't seem to finish her overhand.
Maybe she was out since she didn't get upset. Left hand looked to be into bag before the tag, which would have been closest to the umpire, but I have DVR slow motion which umpire didn't. Dave
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe she was out since she didn't get upset. Left hand looked to be into bag before the tag, which would have been closest to the umpire, but I have DVR slow motion which umpire didn't. Dave
Me neither, so I'll take your word for it.
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Shipwreck is probably right. After about the, I dunno, 8th replay from multiple angles, it looked like she miiiiiiight have gotten that hand in a split second before the actual tag, even though the ball beat her by a mile.

But again, real-time? Dead-to-nuts out.
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Announcer makes the comment that she heard an unbelievable statistic the other day. The Philadelphia Phillies will be attempting to make it to their 3rd straight World Series this year and no team has done that since the Cardinals in the '40s, pre-WWII. Huh?

It was actually the Cardinals in 42, 43 & 44, right in the middle of the war
That's news to the 1972-73-74 Oakland A's. MAKE the World Series? Ha! The mid 70s A's scoff at just making it to the World Series. Captain Sal, Joe Rudi, Catfish, Campy, Rollie and frieds won three in a row.