The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 15, 2010, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Batter swings at a pitch in the dirt long before the catcher has an opportunity and they ruled it a passed ball.

I have no idea how anyone would expect the catcher to cleanly field a ball in the dirt with a bat in your line of vision.
That's why they get the big bucks. Any coach at that level would expect it.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
People complaining about umpires, someone better check that bottle on the scorekeeper's desk.

Batter swings at a pitch in the dirt long before the catcher has an opportunity and they ruled it a passed ball.

I have no idea how anyone would expect the catcher to cleanly field a ball in the dirt with a bat in your line of vision.
Was that the actual scorer's ruling or the TV announcer's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Quote:
NCAA 14.27 Wild Pitch
A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is so high, wide or low that the catcher cannot handle the ball with ordinary effort and at least one runner advances. Any pitch in the dirt is wild. Only one wild pitch is recorded regardless of the number of runners who advance or the number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled by the catcher because it was wild, when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored as both a wild pitch and a strikeout. No wild pitch is charged if a runner stealing on the pitch advances only one base. A wild pitch is not an error.
What the coach expects doesn't matter to the official scorer, the scoring rule does.

If they had four umps there why didn't they just work a four-person crew? Obviously if any of the umps were hurt or injured they could then go to a three-person crew.

Is this solely for the sake of consistency with the regular season?
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

The NCAA softball doesn't use 4 I would assume, because they do not have it in the SUIP manual. All aspects of umpiring is covered in the manual and they do not prescribe to 4 man mechanics.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Yet those who really do get paid the big bucks would whine and cry until it was changed to a WP especially if PB/WP were included in the contract involving any performance bonus.

Quote:
=Marvin] Was that the actual scorer's ruling or the TV announcer's?
That is what was posted on the scoring line at the top of the screen and the box score has multiple WP & PB for LSU, so I can't really be sure of what the final ruling was on that particular instance. AND I'M NOT searching through a play-by-play log looking for it.

Meanwhile, this is the All-tournament team:

All-Tournament Team

Megan Bush, SS, Florida
Corrie Brooks, 3B, Florida
Kelly Grieve, CF, Tennessee
Ivy Renfroe, P, Tennessee
Cody Trahan, P, LSU
Jessica Mouse, 3B, LSU
Kirsten Shortridge, CF, LSU
Jennifer Fenton, CF, Alabama
Whitney Larsen, SS, Alabama
Kayla Braud, 2B, Alabama
Kelsi Dunne, P, Alabama

So, am I the only one who believes there is little emphasis placed on any other defensive position other than pitcher?
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
The NCAA softball doesn't use 4 I would assume, because they do not have it in the SUIP manual. All aspects of umpiring is covered in the manual and they do not prescribe to 4 man mechanics.
I've heard the same from ASA, yet we have used them regularly at NCs. Bbut with a 60' infield, someone would have to go out on every ball or you may think you are on the football field at Boise St.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
Even if one of them is name Linda!