The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

There will be at least two pieces of legislation introduced next month at the ASA's National Convention to change the code regarding the number of game umpires.

One piece will just change ALL SP games to two-umpire games. The other will change ALL games to two-umpire games. The latter would also increase the pay for those umpires to $25 per umpire.

I offered that this would not be effective in some levels of the game. Imagine a base umpire covering third on a steal play in SP.

I understand that getting umpires can be a problem as many locals just don't want to work NC games when a local tournament or league is paying that much more. This probably irritates those of you who believe just getting to work a NC is enough, but it is just they way it is in some places.

Another point is that too many umpires show up and have no idea how to work a 3-umpire system. As far as I'm concerned, that shame should fall on the shoulders of the UIC which nominated the umpire and the umpire themself for not preparing to perform at the highest level of softball.

This will also cut back on the availability of NC slots at levels some umpires still aspire to attain.

I understand what and why this is being suggested, I just don't care for it and think it will hurt the games in which the players expect better umpiring than that which they see locally.

JMHO,
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Mike.........

I have been paid as little as $14 per game at State Championships.............

This past summer, I got $20, which I thought was wonderful..............

I agree that bumping the pay for State/Regional/National should be brought up...........I think the Minimum pay in Tx is $13.........and there are many DC's who are willing to pay just that knowing that they will have umpires willing to call for that............

I also think that Host umpires should be held to the same qualifications as outside upmires..............My district did not get any post season tournaments this year........and I traveled 450+ miles (one way) to call the two States I did............only to find some Host Umpires who had 1-2 yrs. experience with NO STATE or NATIONAL schools under their belt................

I understand that District's want to save mileage and hotel room expenses...........BUT.......why should an umpire bust his butt attending schools when they see other umpires NOT attending any and still getting assignments?

Texas has been holding its meetings this weekend...........maybe I will have some tid-bits to report after our DC and DUIC returns..............

Joel
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Joel,

Remember, for NT & NC, the umpire is also getting housing, transportation and, quite often, being fed and treated to some decent perks.

The problem is when there is a flux in teams and they need to draw from local umpires to fill the tournament.

In some of those areas, local umpires have 2-3 NC under their belt in their first 5 years if they are a half-decent umpire. Meanwhile, a little state like DE presently gets a NC billit every other year, maybe. We are lucky enough to have some veteran umpires who can get an "at large" bid based on their experience and our commissioner goes out and gets a couple host exchange slots each year. If it wasn't for that, there would be nothing for our umpires to work toward.

Old Mon Oct 14, 2002, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Red face

I got on my soapbox on the other board (McGriff's) so here I'll just say that Metro Atlanta have several qualifications that we have to meet to call any tournament:
1. Attend the Metro UIC's rule clinic 2-3 hours
2. And attend the Regional Clinic (which will have 1 or
2 clinicians from the National staff) 1 full day OR
attend the 2 day school with National staff folks,
classroom and on the field.
3. For a Regional or National, your UIC puts you into
nomination, and it must be a majority vote in your
favor and with the Metro UIC's approval.
4. MUST know and be evaluated on 3 man mechanics.

What do other areas do to weed out the undesirables?
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995