The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
I should have cited my information source....the box score for the each game... sloppy posting on my part.
I do not concern myself with what announcers say. Most of the time they are wrong, or at the least, not 100% accurate in what they are saying.
If I'm incorrect, then the official NCAA box score for the game is incorrect also. Go to the Big East Conference website and check the box scores for both games yourself.
Being as how the conference tracks IP's for each Big East pitcher throughout the season, and also compiles stats on IP's by team, and being as how the source of their information is the official NCCA box score for the game, I guess that makes me, and the statistical staffs of both the NCAA and the Big East also "definitely incorrect."
I guess the NCCA and the Big East would like to hear from you so they can correct their error and change the IP count for the game to 9 and update their stats.....I mean after all you were watching the game and counting.
Geeze, sorry KJ, I didn't mean to offend. Like Steve said, the IP's in the box scores exist only to explain things like advancement of runners. Yes, I was watching the game (twice, in fact, as it was replayed again that night). I also do not usually trust the announcers, but saw the extended arm of the umpire for many of the IP's, and I'm pretty sure by now the announcers understand what that means. I also followed the live blog on the 'Cuse website during the replay and found it to be an accurate representation of the game (minus the ridiculous opinions, of course). I counted 9. If there were only 2 or 3 like the box score suggests, do you think there would be such an uproar?

As much as I think EdJW is full of baloney, I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Trolling, trolling, trolling,
(sung to the tune of Rawhide)
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
The IP situation in NCAA has been a big topic this year. I have been in many discussions about this the last two years. The problem, as far as the umpires are concerned, is one of consistency.....too many umpires will not make the illegal call and a FEW fail to give the benefit of the doubt to the pitcher. If, and that is a huge "IF", all umpires could call it the same way we would not hear announcers give us a bad rap and people like Ed would stop ranting about things they know nothing about. However, all umpires are never going to call it alike.

It is my opinion that the rule should be changed. Back the pitcher up two to four feet and allow her to do most anything with an under hand motion. We certainly don't need any more lines on the field and getting rid of these illigal calls would be good for the game and certainly be good for the people who try their best to call the game the way the coaches write the rules.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUchem View Post
Geeze, sorry KJ, I didn't mean to offend. Like Steve said, the IP's in the box scores exist only to explain things like advancement of runners. Yes, I was watching the game (twice, in fact, as it was replayed again that night). I also do not usually trust the announcers, but saw the extended arm of the umpire for many of the IP's, and I'm pretty sure by now the announcers understand what that means. I also followed the live blog on the 'Cuse website during the replay and found it to be an accurate representation of the game (minus the ridiculous opinions, of course). I counted 9. If there were only 2 or 3 like the box score suggests, do you think there would be such an uproar?

As much as I think EdJW is full of baloney, I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.
PSU....no problem. I clearly see (& understand) your view on the OP. You are of course right in your comment about the likelihood of an uproar over 2/3 IP's. And we're certainly on the same page regarding EdJW's comments.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop300ln View Post
when pushing off the rubber, most umps will not inject themselves in the game as long as the toe of the pitcher is down. if this call is totally enforced 90 percent of all college pitchers are going to be called illegal and the game is going to be about umps not players.
hog wash. push and drag at the same time. it used to be done by all pitchers at one time (well almost all). easy to tell. what player had a leather patch over the inside part of shoe of his push foot the pitcher.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

At what point is the NCAA or some organization going to spend 1000 bucks on a good camera, go out and shoot pitchers, send it to someone officail, get an answer, post it on some official board so all umps can see what an illegal pitch is from said pitcher. Then all should call it when there memory sees the illegal pitch.

I know it is not professional sports but it is time that we improve on accuracy of calling ips. The camera, imo, is a helpful tool.

The nba provides video breakdowns to all of its officials so they can see and get it into their memory reflex what is illegal (read violation). Hell the public can go online and see what they get.

Video, video and more video.

there should be a plethora of video on pitchers. time to use technology to our advantage. Dave, what is the hold up?

of course, this does not apply to all umps.

you guys can figure out to move this hijack to a new thread, if you do not mind.

ron

Last edited by ronald; Mon May 24, 2010 at 03:36pm. Reason: hijaked
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay View Post
The IP situation in NCAA has been a big topic this year. I have been in many discussions about this the last two years. The problem, as far as the umpires are concerned, is one of consistency.....too many umpires will not make the illegal call and a FEW fail to give the benefit of the doubt to the pitcher. If, and that is a huge "IF", all umpires could call it the same way we would not hear announcers give us a bad rap and people like Ed would stop ranting about things they know nothing about. However, all umpires are never going to call it alike.

It is my opinion that the rule should be changed. Back the pitcher up two to four feet and allow her to do most anything with an under hand motion. We certainly don't need any more lines on the field and getting rid of these illigal calls would be good for the game and certainly be good for the people who try their best to call the game the way the coaches write the rules.
Bluejay,

Are you using consistency to mean accuracy?.. Gotta have accuracy first and then be consistent in being accurate. aka no my strike zones,call the strike zone in the book. same goes for IP.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
Are you using consistency to mean accuracy?.. Gotta have accuracy first and then be consistent in being accurate. aka no my strike zones,call the strike zone in the book. same goes for IP.

No. I mean that some will call the I P and some won't...and some don't know legal from iilegal. I am not talking about the TOP officials in NCAA, ASA, Fed. or any others but not all games get the top umpires.

All I am saying is that the pitching rule, as now written, will never be called exactly the same by all officials..... for various reasons. Over the broad spectrum of umpires do you think all will ever call the I P the same or, as you suggest, the same strike zone? That would be great but I don't see it happening.