The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Big East 1st Base Ump (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58117-big-east-1st-base-ump.html)

EdJW Fri May 14, 2010 02:14pm

Big East 1st Base Ump

Calling illegal pitches big time. In the DePaul/Syracuse game. Has he already gone way beyond reasonable NCAA standards and taken the game away from the Cuse?

IRISHMAFIA Fri May 14, 2010 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJW (Post 676909)
Calling illegal pitches big time. In the DePaul/Syracuse game. Has he already gone way beyond reasonable NCAA standards and taken the game away from the Cuse?

Bull****! If John K called an IP, it was an IP.

BTW, how can JK taken a game away from SU when they won the game?

Just couldn't resist taking a shot at an umpire even though that crew is a very good and have more championship (NCAA, ASA & ISF) than you could possibly imagine.

EdJW Sat May 15, 2010 06:06pm

Another bad ump at first base

This bogus ump called 11 illegal pitches and obviously didn't see the catch that triggered the game ending double play. After standing there looking for help for 20 seconds she decided to call the out on the catch. How embarrassing for a crew that somebody seems to like. This crew should spend the rest of their senior years in T-ball.

okla21fan Sat May 15, 2010 06:33pm

I watched the finals. While the center field camera angle is worthless. If the blues called 11 IPs, I think they could have called 30 more. (from that CF cam angle) I just could not tell that much a difference between what was considered legal and illegal, but the Syracuse pitcher was catching air alot. imo

IRISHMAFIA Sat May 15, 2010 06:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJW (Post 677006)
This bogus ump called 11 illegal pitches and obviously didn't see the catch that triggered the game ending double play. After standing there looking for help for 20 seconds she decided to call the out on the catch. How embarrassing for a crew that somebody seems to like. This crew should spend the rest of their senior years in T-ball.

The 1B umpire was a male. And a very accomplished umpire.

And you think they got the assignment because someone liked them?

Just how long are you going to insist on displaying your ignorance and disdain for the game of softball?

PSUchem Sat May 15, 2010 07:26pm

Agree, the 'Cuse pitcher was leaping every. single. time. She's lucky the U1 didn't call 6 IP's in a row at the beginning of the game until the pitcher was removed.

And another thing... I don't do NCAA, but isn't the mechanic that the PU call the catch? How on earth would the U1 call the catch from BEHIND F3? EdJW, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

EdJW Sun May 16, 2010 09:18am

IM, the umpire's name is Linda

But I'll take your word for it. Linda is a guy, if you say so. Too bad for him to have to go through life named Linda.

Regarding the assertion that HP umpire should have called the second out. What took him so long? Trying to take the game away from Syracuse, just like he tried yesterday at first base?

Regarding lots of air under the Cuse pitcher, LOL. She pitchers with a very short leap and drag. With her pivot foot down. No Cat Osterman!

Didn't the NCAA tell the umpires to back off following the early season disaster with all the bogus illegal pitch calls?

HugoTafurst Sun May 16, 2010 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJW (Post 677058)
(Snip)

Didn't the NCAA tell the umpires to back off following the early season disaster with all the bogus illegal pitch calls?

The directive issued originally to think in terms of "if not legal, it must be illegal".

Late a memo went out empasising that illegal pitches are illegal and should always be called, but in determining illegal pitches think in terms of, "if not illegal, the pitch is legal"
A subtle way of looking at it, but I think I understood the emphasis.
I didn't see the Friday or Saturday Big E games being referred to, but from what I am hearing here and heard on the phone this morning, they were no brainers..

IRISHMAFIA Sun May 16, 2010 11:07am

Standard non-response

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJW (Post 677058)
But I'll take your word for it. Linda is a guy, if you say so. Too bad for him to have to go through life named Linda.

Mr. Strawman,

The game of initial reference was the dePaul/Syracuse game on Friday. Linda was on 3B and you were complaining about the 1B umpire who was John K.

Nice try that runs your regular path of false data because you would rather make an *** of yourself than actually demonstrate any sense.

Quote:

Regarding the assertion that HP umpire should have called the second out. What took him so long? Trying to take the game away from Syracuse, just like he tried yesterday at first base?
Now we are back to a male? And you demand consistency from an umpire? :rolleyes:

Yeah, you are right. Rush Limbaugh made a pact with all the umpires assigned the Big East tournament as retaliation for losing his position at ESPN due to comments made concerning SU alum Donovan McNabb. Yeah, that must be it, a conspiracty against SU. Don't worry, Ed, your suffering will be short-lived.

Quote:

Regarding lots of air under the Cuse pitcher, LOL. She pitchers with a very short leap and drag. With her pivot foot down. No Cat Osterman!
Yeah, that's why 'Cuse out IPs their opponent by a 4-1 margin. And you say a very short "leap". That IS an illegal pitch. What part of "leap" don't you understand.

Quote:

And you just keep on proving the point.

How can they be bogus? You just stated, quite clearly, that the pitcher leaps. Don't you ever tire of being wrong?

EdJW Sun May 16, 2010 01:43pm

Leap and drap is legal

Just in case you've forgotten the rules, leap and drag is legal.

Regarding Linda, are you now saying she's not a guy. If you followed the tread, you would have realized the continuation to the final game.

Regarding your damnation of Syracuse pitching, the season stats for the Cuse pitcher are 13 IPs in 184.1 innings. All these innings called by NCAA umpires. It's not reasonable to believe that all of these umpires got it wrong all season long. It's the umpires at the BE tournament who are way out of line.

okla21fan Sun May 16, 2010 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdJW (Post 677082)

not in the rule set of the game(s) you are referring too in the OP. :eek:

IRISHMAFIA Sun May 16, 2010 02:23pm

Quote:

Ahhh.....no, it is not.

From NCAA 2010-2011 Softball Rules:

1.73 Leap (Pitcher)
An illegal act in which the pitcher becomes airborne on her initial movement and push from the pitcher’s plate.
No leaping is allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the
initial drive from the pitcher’s plate. The pivot foot must slide/drag on
the ground.

Quote:

Regarding Linda, are you now saying she's not a guy. If you followed the tread, you would have realized the continuation to the final game.
Yeah, right. You keep telling yourself that. Tony wants you to thank you for making AJ look pretty smart for a NJ boy.

Quote:

Regarding your damnation of Syracuse pitching, the season stats for the Cuse pitcher are 13 IPs in 184.1 innings. All these innings called by NCAA umpires. It's not reasonable to believe that all of these umpires got it wrong all season long. It's the umpires at the BE tournament who are way out of line.
Yet the same umpires only called 3 IPs all season long. Hmmmmm.....but it is the umpire conspiracy, not the Orangemen. Of course, just where do you think these umpire come from? Answer: Big East

BTW, I wouldn't doubt these umpires will have a longer post-season than the Orangemen.

Well, at least you are consistent.

HugoTafurst Sun May 16, 2010 02:32pm

Quote:

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Are we both using the NCAA definition?

Something that in 2008 (the only version I have that I can cut and paste) was along the lines of:
"An illegal act in which the pitcher becomes airborne on her initial movement
and push from the pitcher’s plate."
"10.4.4.1 No leaping is allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on
the initial drive from the pitcher’s plate. The rear foot must slide/drag
on the ground."

edited to add) 10 minutes behind Irish - one of these days I'll catch up.

Tex Sun May 16, 2010 02:36pm

She had 13 illegal pitches in the championship game with Louisville.

The Univ. of Flordia pitcher generally receives about 7 per game.

With this increased emphasis from the college level of calling illegal pitches, I hope that the calling illegal pitches will now filter down to the high school level.

I just saw the Ohio state high school championship games of I and II. Both the loosing pitchers had many illegal pitches and none were called.

We all need to increase our awareness concerning IP.

EdJW Sun May 16, 2010 02:37pm

Leap and drag is legal by 10.4.4

Leap and drag is the term long used to describe a moving forward from the pitcher's plate while dragging the pivot foot. I'm surprised you don't know this. But, perhaps you do know this and are just playing word games.

BTW, another BE coach has gone on record that the umpires were outrageous with the blatant IP calls.

Also, please provide the NCAA link showing that these umps called just 3 IPs the entire season.