The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

D3K ball off chest protector lands fair

Just trying to make sure I have the correct ASA rule for this situation. Saw it in a college game this weekend. I believe GT vs Oregon (1st game).

D3K ball off F2 chest protector and lands fair up the 1st base line top of box. B/R kicks the ball. No interference called.

In ASA I believe this is covered under 8-7-L: A runner is out... when a runner intentionally kicks a fair ball that an infielder missed. Because the blues rule no intent they did not call interference.

Am I correct or is there another rule that covers this play? Or, should this have been ruled interference?
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Just trying to make sure I have the correct ASA rule for this situation. Saw it in a college game this weekend. I believe GT vs Oregon (1st game).

D3K ball off F2 chest protector and lands fair up the 1st base line top of box. B/R kicks the ball. No interference called.

In ASA I believe this is covered under 8-7-L: A runner is out... when a runner intentionally kicks a fair ball that an infielder missed. Because the blues rule no intent they did not call interference.

Am I correct or is there another rule that covers this play? Or, should this have been ruled interference?
Not sure about D3K interference as we have this discussion a bit here and no one has made an explanation that has crystallized it for me. But this is not a "fair" ball any more than it would have been a foul ball if touched in foul territory.
________
Krissy

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:21pm.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Not sure about D3K interference as we have this discussion a bit here and no one has made an explanation that has crystallized it for me. But this is not a "fair" ball any more than it would have been a foul ball if touched in foul territory.
Uh ... what?

It's not fair or foul unless it's HIT. This ball wasn't hit.

OP - no interference unless you judge intent.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

12.2.3 The batter-runner may not interfere with the catcher’s attempt to field a third strike.
Note: If both players’ actions are appropriate to the situation and contact
could not be avoided, it is inadvertent contact and neither interference nor
obstruction.
A.R. 12.2.3: It is not interference if the batter-runner unintentionally kicks the ball that had deflected off the catcher who attempted to field a dropped third strike.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Uh ... what?

It's not fair or foul unless it's HIT. This ball wasn't hit.
Yeah, we just said the same thing.
________
SexyVita

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:22pm.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

In both ASA and NFHS this is an out.

Remember we don't measure intent anymore.
ASA (8-2-F) and NFHS (8-2-6) "Batter-Runner is out if she interfers with a dropped third strike".

Last edited by Tex; Mon May 24, 2010 at 04:16pm.
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Tex. Actually I finally found it and was coming to report. Big Slick what rule set are you referencing?
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks Tex. Actually I finally found it and was coming to report. Big Slick what rule set are you referencing?
NCAA, if I may be permitted.

Paul
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Read the OP again guys... he's asking about the ASA rule. (Nevermind that this would not have been the ruleset in place for the game he's talking about! )

OP - you ask about the ASA rule... are you aware that NCAA does not use ASA rules?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Read the OP again guys... he's asking about the ASA rule. (Nevermind that this would not have been the ruleset in place for the game he's talking about! )

OP - you ask about the ASA rule... are you aware that NCAA does not use ASA rules?
NCAA doesn't use ASA rules? No really As a "student of the game" I like to watch NCAA games. When I see a call/ no call I always think about it under ASA rule because that is what I umpire.

Yes ASA, and ASA rule ASA (8-2-F-6) States a B/R is out if she interferes with a D3K.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

guys,

early in the year, Irishmafia, posted a link to asa's rules and clarification plays. it deals with this issue. re-read, re-think and followup. it not a no brainer.