The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 23, 2002, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well, we survived that National weekend in Aurburndale FL.
There were 121 teams that showed up and 32 umpires.
I worked 17 games including the final losers bracket game to decide who was in the final game. Most games were worked 2 man with some 3 man and the final were 4 man.
There was a lot of really good games and some snoozers also.
I had one that was a classic from our books,
Runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Batter hit a slicing shot to right center that looks like it will burn the RC. R2 gets a jump and is halfway to 3rd when we have a catch. (2nd out) R2 runs back toward 2nd but didn't take up. R3 crossed home and R2 was almost home when F1 starts screaming that R2 left early. I was inside watching the throw come in from the outfield when this started. When the catch came, F4 turns to thow and sees his pitcher going nuts. F4 then starts pointing and making gestures that the runner left early. This is when I find out that the 2nd baseman and the shortstop are both deaf! I have an appeal, we have the third out!!
I checked with my partner and we properly allow the run by R3 to score as he had crossed prior to the appeal.
The offensive team went into their howler monkey routine that no appeal had been made. They wanted it done by dead ball, throw from the mound etc. We said "no" of course and the defensive team did their imitation of howler monkeys because we let the run by R3 stand. Neither team wanted to protest a mis-application of the rules and we went on to finish the game.
We had a lot of other things happen and good partners in other games worked well together to do a good job.
We didn't get much sleep but we had a good time.
Now I intend to sleep for the rest of the week.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2002, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Scott sounds like they should of sent a few more teams into the West or sent some of our umpires your way to have even things out a little. Glad things went well though

Have a good one

Don