The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Dislodged Base clarification

(ASA Rule Set)
Rule 8-3-C states: "When a runner dislodges a base from its proper position, that runner and trailing runner(s) in the same series of plays are not compelled to follow a base out of position."

The wording indicates that a trailing runner would be safe if they were standing in the vicinity of where the base originally was positioned, and were subsequently tagged.

My question is: Would the trail runner still be safe if they are standing on the dislodged base which was 8 feet behind second base, and are tagged?

Wasn't sure if the "not compelled" component of the rule covered both the area around the base (sans the base) AND the current position of the dislodged base.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
(ASA Rule Set)
Rule 8-3-C states: "When a runner dislodges a base from its proper position, that runner and trailing runner(s) in the same series of plays are not compelled to follow a base out of position."

The wording indicates that a trailing runner would be safe if they were standing in the vicinity of where the base originally was positioned, and were subsequently tagged.

My question is: Would the trail runner still be safe if they are standing on the dislodged base which was 8 feet behind second base, and are tagged?

Wasn't sure if the "not compelled" component of the rule covered both the area around the base (sans the base) AND the current position of the dislodged base.
If the base is dislodged, it becomes a judgment call by the umpire as to whether or not a tagged runner is standing where they should be. I've always viewed it as giving the runner the option of choosing either the correct location of the base or the location of the dislodged base. They are not compelled to follow the dislodged base, but they still have that option and should not be faulted if they do go to the dislodged base.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense.
Wasn't sure if I was over-reading or under-reading the relevance of
"not compelled"
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I see it as a lot like the lines on a field, marking the location and bounds even if not visible, so the spot is safe not the base itself. The exception is a trailing runner going to a dislodged base because it can be seen and then staying with it because leaving it to move to the spot would mean exposure to tag.