The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Well.......

What is fun is working a three man (sort of) with the wife and daughter! Daughter gave it up, so now we get to do the three man with the 16 year old son! He is in his second year, and is really doing well.

Georgia ASA last year had an umpiring clinic aimed at 14-18 year old kids. It was a good way to open a door for the future, and really was worth the effort for all.
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Steve McNeil Send a message via Yahoo to Steve McNeil
Smile 21st season/and a question

Started our 21st season yesterday with 5 games. Unfortunately #3 son was on call with work (he's graduated from college and is working full time as well as umpiring with me). Only two wierd events. THis is modified kids pitch. Girl pitches until 4 balls then dad comes in wth the number of strikes left. No walking.. gotta hit. SO with 2 outs bases loaded, batter hits one up the middle. Rounds the bases and passes the runner from first between 3rd & home.. sorry 3rd out of the inning. First 2 runs score.. I explain it to the coaches & parents. NO problems... last game, with 2 strikes, girls swings at an inside pitch that hits her hand (not the bat). I call strike 3. Coach says the hand is part of the bat. I say really? Ask her to pick up a bat. She does. I tell her to hold it out level. She does. I tell her to drop the bat. She does. WHere's the hand... did it go with the bat or is it still on your arm?
She made a beeline for the dugout... laughing as she went. Told me after the game that was one of the best explanations she'd seen...
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 09:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
A first for me.

I got to umpire a game yesterday with my 14 yo daughter!

She has played now for a few years and told me earlier this year that she wants to try umpiring. Our church has a recreational/instructional league for kids that I help out with from time to time, so this is a perfect opportunity to get her started.

Just kind of a cool feeling to have your daughter as your partner!

Andy:

I am joining this party late, but I feel your pride. The OhioHSAA allows high school students to become registered officials while in high school. Class 3's if they are freshmen thru juniors and can only officiate jr. H.S. games, and Class 2 if they are seniors and can officiate high school jr. varisty and below.

Mark, Jr. (MTD, Jr.) our oldest son is 20 and in his second year of college took the basketball officiating and baseball umpiring classes during his senior year. It is great to be able to officiate high school basketball games and umpire high school baseball games with him. While he is not an OhioHSAA registered fastpitch softball umpire he is an ASA and USSSA registered fastpitch umpire for summer softball.

It is great umpiring with him because you know who is going to work the plate and it ain't me, . I hope that you take my advice in that regard. Enjoy it while you can because before you know it everybody will want to officiate with the young Andrea, and not the old Andy. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio