The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   A great day! (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/57966-great-day.html)

Andy Sun Apr 25, 2010 07:41pm

A great day!

A first for me.

I got to umpire a game yesterday with my 14 yo daughter!

She has played now for a few years and told me earlier this year that she wants to try umpiring. Our church has a recreational/instructional league for kids that I help out with from time to time, so this is a perfect opportunity to get her started.

Just kind of a cool feeling to have your daughter as your partner!

HugoTafurst Sun Apr 25, 2010 07:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 674919)
A first for me.

I got to umpire a game yesterday with my 14 yo daughter!

She has played now for a few years and told me earlier this year that she wants to try umpiring. Our church has a recreational/instructional league for kids that I help out with from time to time, so this is a perfect opportunity to get her started.

Just kind of a cool feeling to have your daughter as your partner!

Lucky guy - enjoy the times

Stu Clary Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:27pm

Very cool!

U of M Sam Mon Apr 26, 2010 09:37am

Enjoy it Andy.

I had umpired some LL games with my son a few years back - he decided to not continue umpiring after he was 16 years old.
However, I have umpired many LL softball games with my daughter during the past 3 years and this year she registered with MHSAA. She is scheduled to umpire some high school JV level double headers and I am actually working a high school JV DH with her in a couple weeks. Sweet !!!

We will continue working LL softball once the high school season is completed.

Great times that I truely enjoy.

Altor Mon Apr 26, 2010 01:13pm

From the other side...and another sport (hope y'all don't mind).

I received a contract this weekend to officiate at our State track meet in June. My father will be a referee.

I had trouble sleeping last night and we are 6 weeks away.

Steve McNeil Thu Apr 29, 2010 08:30am

I'm fixing to start my 21st season umpiring with my son. We do 3rd/4th grade girls softball. Started when he was 13-14. Took a bit of work on position, etc, but he's turned into a real good umpire. And these turkey coaches are learning it is not the world series. It's rec ball. Chill....

NCASAUmp Thu Apr 29, 2010 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve McNeil (Post 675186)
I'm fixing to start my 21st season umpiring with my son. We do 3rd/4th grade girls softball. Started when he was 13-14. Took a bit of work on position, etc, but he's turned into a real good umpire. And these turkey coaches are learning it is not the world series. It's rec ball. Chill....

That's awesome, Steve. That's exactly how I started: umpiring with my father, and I've stuck with it after all these years.

And I've noticed that this is your first post here. Welcome to the board! You're in the right place!

Steve McNeil Thu Apr 29, 2010 09:09am

Thanks... I've been scanning this board for quite a while, picking up useful info. Thought it time to register and put my 2 cents in where appropriate.

argodad Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve McNeil (Post 675190)
Thanks... I've been scanning this board for quite a while, picking up useful info. Thought it time to register and put my 2 cents in where appropriate.

Welcome, Steve.

shipwreck Thu Apr 29, 2010 01:40pm

Steve, thanks for hopping on board. This is a great place to learn the nuances of the game. Dave

NCASAUmp Thu Apr 29, 2010 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 675240)
Steve, thanks for hopping on board. This is a great place to learn the nuances of the game. Dave

We also dispense great beer reviews. :)

Get it? "Dispense?"

Andy Thu Apr 29, 2010 02:16pm

Steve - let me add my welcome.

It's a cool feeling :cool: to umpire with your kid! I hope I can get 20+ years out of it like you have!

CecilOne Fri Apr 30, 2010 07:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 675242)
We also dispense great beer reviews. :)

Get it? "Dispense?"

That much of a reach is bad enough, but explaining it just for Mike - aaaggghhhh ! :eek:

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 30, 2010 07:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 675288)
That much of a reach is bad enough, but explaining it just for Mike - aaaggghhhh ! :eek:

We're umpires. Sometimes, we're a little slow on the uptake. ;)

Umpteenth Fri Apr 30, 2010 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 675291)
We're umpires. Sometimes, we're a little slow on the uptake. ;)

But, never too slow on the intake!!