The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Saw a great game tonight -- well, not the greatest, because I think one team was having a bad night--shots weren't falling and so on. But two very good teams playing very, very well. It was an "arch-rivalry" with lots of screaming fans. I sat right behind the table and just soaked in the whole thing.

The refs did a fantastic job -- although it was not what I would have expected, since one in particular was just plain funny-looking. He was over-weight, pigeon-toed, his pants were too short, and he had a bizarre haircut. He ran like the mailman trying to get away from a dog. His mechanics were quite original, and he made faces at the players when he called fouls on them. Yet, he and his partner together kept complete control of a very tight and hard fought battle, with one coach in particular being very vocal the whole game.

So what did he have that made him so good to get assigned to this game and to come across so well? I thought about it all the way home. The only things I can figure are that he just oozed confidence, he was ALWAYS in position, and he had very good judgment. From my angle, I couldn't always see the foul, but I could tell that he could see it. The coach didn't always agree, and the foul numbers were quite uneven in the first half, but he was calling the game in front of him -- one team really was fouling more. Most of all, HE knew he was right, regardless of what everyone else in the gym thought. And somehow his knowledge was convincing.

I guess I know what I need to work on next...

[Edited by rainmaker on Dec 15th, 2001 at 03:41 AM]
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

My only question is what are you doing at a basketball game on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 11:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
My only question is what are you doing at a basketball game on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?
I think it is highly un-appropriate to comment on such a fine official in this manner!
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

believability. this is a good subject. when an official has beleivability he may not get as many plays correct, but noone knows because he sells the calls well. on the reverse side an official could get 95% of the plays right but have poor mechanics or low confidence taking the call to the table and coaches will eat you up. coaches will sense this weakness and will question everything you call all night, right or wrong. this is what a lot of rookies go through starting out in highschool. i had trouble with this because the coaches did not know me and i still have trouble every time i work games in a new league. when you get into a new league the growth process kinda starts over untill you build a good reputation for yourself.
i hope other guys have more to add on this subject!
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I think it is highly un-appropriate to comment on such a fine official in this manner!

Mick is a good friend of mine. It's not unusual for us to joke back and forth. I don't believe he would take offense.

As I read it, Juulie was very complimentary of the officials' skills and judgment. Why would my remark be inappropriate?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 15th, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 05:22pm
In Memoriam

Mick is a good friend of mine. It's not unusual for us to joke back and forth. I don't believe he would take offense.

As I read it, Juulie was very complimentary of the officials' skills and judgment. Why would my remark be inappropriate?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 15th, 2001 at 03:29 PM] [/B][/QUOTE]Haven't you read any of my posts lately about Mick?The poor man has (self-admittedly on McGriffs)right-handed balls.This has caused him to feel very "down"(his words).I'm just worried about how this terrible affliction is affecting him!