The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Great day, great speakers

Had the opportunity to go to a clinic today designed specifically for intramural referees, and since I'm a supervisor here, I decided that it couldn't hurt to go. The classroom and on-court instruction was very basic, and while I wouldn't say I learned much new stuff, I did get some good and interesting thoughts about some of my mechanics. Don't know if I'll adopt them all yet (they were mostly smaller personal choice type things) but certainly provided some good food for thought.

But overwhelmingly, the best part of the day were our two guest speakers. The first was NCAA-W official Joe Cunningham. Lots of good advice on how to move up, and how to make sure you make the best of moving up. "Better too late than too soon" was his kind of mantra.

The other was Debbie Williamson, secretary-rules editor and co-editor of the NCAA-M and NCAA-W Rules Book. Another great presentation on how to be a better referee, and boy did she grill us with rules questions. High school rules questions which, she admits, she is not as good with as NCAA questions. Thank goodness that it wasn't a NCAA camp.

Oh well, just thought I would take the time to plug these two, as I really enjoyed hearing both of them, and if you ever get a chance to hear or work with either of them, I'd certainly take it up.