The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

How does your league handle illegal/altered/doctored bats?

Just trying to get a feel for how different orgs around the US handles this situation.

During the pre-game bat check, if you find an illegal bat in one team's dugout, what does your crew do? How about an altered bat? Or one that's been to the bat doctors?

Do they just have to put them back in the bag? Take them to their cars? Are they confiscated until the end of the night?

What kinds of written policies do you have regarding illegal/altered/doctored bats?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

absent of any explicit league or tournament rule, how would you handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Just trying to get a feel for how different orgs around the US handles this situation.

During the pre-game bat check, if you find an illegal bat in one team's dugout, what does your crew do? How about an altered bat? Or one that's been to the bat doctors?

Do they just have to put them back in the bag? Take them to their cars? Are they confiscated until the end of the night?

What kinds of written policies do you have regarding illegal/altered/doctored bats?
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Is it a new record to have a thread hijacked on the second post?
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Is it a new record to have a thread hijacked on the second post?
I've learned to ignore his little ramblings. I don't ask questions here to have them immediately turned around on me.

If I ask a question, I want YOUR answers. Not my own. Idjit.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I found his replies worth re-figuring out how the "ignore" feature works.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
I found his replies worth re-figuring out how the "ignore" feature works.
I think he plays the piano.

Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Ah... yes. The reason I went to figure out how ignore worked the first time.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

So do any of you care to offer your procedures that your local leagues want you to follow regarding bats that don't pass muster?

Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

how would you handle it?

Quote:
So do any of you care to offer your procedures that your local leagues want you to follow regarding bats that don't pass muster?
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As far as I know, NCAA are the only ones who routinely confiscate bats, but there are organizations that allow the UIC or TD to do so. I do not have any instructions for games to do anything but prohibit use.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Diplomatically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
how would you handle it?
Diplomatically.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I don't really work a lot of league play anymore, so I can't comment on that aspect.

In championship tournament play, if an altered, illegal, or otherwise non-usable bat (dented, cracked, rattles, etc) is found, it is confiscated and tagged by the UIC of the tournament. The team or player is issued a ticket with a number that corresponds to the tag. When that team is eliminated from the tournament, they can present the ticket to claim their bat.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

One of our local leagues has a policy that if an illegal/altered bat is found during the pre-game equipment check, the bat goes to the field supervisor for him/her to hold onto until the end of the game.

If, during the course of the game, a team decides to protest another team's bat after the bat check, they have to pay $50, but the bat is still allowed to be used in the game. At the end of the game, the bat is taken by the field supervisor, who then brings it to the league director for examination.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

even players loath other players that bring doctored bat to games. if I identify a FoSho doctored bat in the pre-game, I tell the bat owner, I am taking the bat for inspection, or he can take the bat home, and himself with it. if he has a home run derby bat and brought it out into the dugout by mistake, onus is on the player. I give the culprit the option, a face saving way out, or risk confiscation for inspection/examination.

"altered" bats, such as tape, knob cuffs, bat warming, etc. are correctable, and I let them correct it on the spot, or tell them to keep it in the dugout till it's corrected. utrip bats, I ask them politely to keep them in their equipment bags, because someone can pick it up and use it accidentally. I'd never "take" a players bat unless I am sure it's doctored, or else run the risk over-officiating.

I'd follow local league procedures, but my local leagues don't address this, that is why I asked what common sense you would apply when no local rule is stated. diplomatic means different things to different people, umpire included.

Quote:
One of our local leagues has a policy that if an illegal/altered bat is found during the pre-game equipment check, the bat goes to the field supervisor for him/her to hold onto until the end of the game.

If, during the course of the game, a team decides to protest another team's bat after the bat check, they have to pay $50, but the bat is still allowed to be used in the game. At the end of the game, the bat is taken by the field supervisor, who then brings it to the league director for examination.