The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 20, 2009, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Non-Approved Bats in Local League Play

We are an ASA umpires association which officiates many non-ASA local leagues and tournaments. A question has come up about non-approved bats.
If a local league allows non ASA approved bats can our umpires permit them to be used in those leagues games which we officiate? If so do we risk losing ASA insurance?
Old Fri Nov 20, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I wouldn't take the chance. Somebody gets blasted in the face with one of those rocket launcher bats, and I think you'll be very lonely at the defense table.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig View Post
We are an ASA umpires association which officiates many non-ASA local leagues and tournaments. A question has come up about non-approved bats.
If a local league allows non ASA approved bats can our umpires permit them to be used in those leagues games which we officiate? If so do we risk losing ASA insurance?
My commissioner and I asked John Spiotta (Bollinger) the exact same question. The response was that the insurance is still intact. He compared it to driving in what someone may consider an unsafe manner, your insurance is still in effect.

Obviously, they would rather you didn't allow the use of non-approved equipment, but they will cover you as long as all other requirements of the policy are met.

Remember, your liability is $5mm with a $8mm aggregate which means that it is possible that you may become uninsurable if you are caught up in something like this more than once.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2009, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

You could let them play with hand grenades and you are covered... as long it was asa sanctioned.

thats how it was put to me by the agent.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig View Post
... non-ASA local leagues and tournaments....allows non ASA approved bats can our umpires permit them to be used in those leagues games which we officiate? If so do we risk losing ASA insurance?
Your ASA insurance will only cover you when you "umpire games, leagues, and tournaments involving ASA registered teams and the event has been authorized by an ASA Commissioner and/or his/her designee or authorized by ASA."

ASA Umpire Insurance
Old Fri Nov 20, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

What if a league is registered w/ ASA but allows non-approved bats as part of their by-laws? As I've been told several times, the official rules are for championship play. Local leagues can adopt additional rules [e.g. maximum of 6 runs can be scored in a half inning] or drop rules they don't want [e.g. I work 2 modified leagues where the players don't wear helmets and if HBP, it's a ball on the batter].

I'm not advocating that leagues allow non-approved bats and/or balls, but is it really their decision?

Thanx.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2009, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
What if a league is registered w/ ASA but allows non-approved bats as part of their by-laws? As I've been told several times, the official rules are for championship play. Local leagues can adopt additional rules [e.g. maximum of 6 runs can be scored in a half inning] or drop rules they don't want [e.g. I work 2 modified leagues where the players don't wear helmets and if HBP, it's a ball on the batter].

I'm not advocating that leagues allow non-approved bats and/or balls, but is it really their decision?

Thanx.
Look a couple of post "up" to see the conversation Mike & his commissioner had with Bollingers.
I work a men's league where we ask both mangers if all of their bats are legal. We do not inspect equipment and only check the legality of a bat if the opposing team points out a bat and wants it checked.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Here's the deal, people. If both teams are ASA registered, if all umpires are ASA registered, and if you are assigned by an ASA association, assignor, or officer; you are covered, even if local rules allow hand grenades, flame throwers, and rocket launchers. Ignorance and stupidity do not waive coverage.

At some point, you and the leagues need to realize that when you do these really stupid things, damages will increase the costs to everyone, since the insurance comnpanies are not in business to lose money. Work within the system to minimize the stupidity, so your registration fees stop rising!!
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I work a men's league where we ask both mangers if all of their bats are legal. We do not inspect equipment and only check the legality of a bat if the opposing team points out a bat and wants it checked.
Steve, I hope you and your fellow umpires realize that asking that question of the managers does not protect you from a lawsuit or liability, don't you?
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Look a couple of post "up" to see the conversation Mike & his commissioner had with Bollingers.
I did. That situation was ASA umpires working non-ASA games. My take is that you shouldn't even be wearing ASA logo gear to such games.

My question was geared more to ASA-registered teams/leagues, scheduled via an assignor. Because it's non-championship play, I think the leagues can over-ride or eliminate rules via their bylaws.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Steve, I hope you and your fellow umpires realize that asking that question of the managers does not protect you from a lawsuit or liability, don't you?
Mike,
That's the league's standpoint that we not inspect & just ask. While all of the teams and the league are registered with ASA, it's also an ISC league - and those folks have their own way of doing things. We wear ISC uniforms for those games.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike,
That's the league's standpoint that we not inspect & just ask. While all of the teams and the league are registered with ASA, it's also an ISC league - and those folks have their own way of doing things. We wear ISC uniforms for those games.
I understand. But everyone needs to understand that just because the manager makes some sort of statement that you are in the clear.

The manager doesn't have the right to speak for the players and none of them have the authority to waive any rights their insurance company may choose to exercise.

The only reason I mention this is because there are people who believe that umpires simply need to ask the coach if everyone is properly equiped and they are covered (as they do in HS).
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

I back myself up with the insurance I get through NASO.