The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Test: bait and switch

When the ASA 2010 Umpire Exam was posted on the web site, I printed it out and started looking up references for the answers.

I paid my local dues and got my package including the 2010 rule book, test answer sheet, and Umpire Exam in a booklet form.

I received my scored test back and had 2 questions marked wrong that astounded me. So I called my Regional UIC who scored the test and asked him about the answers. I had the correct answers but the sequence of the answers changed from the web version to the packet version. I never bothered to check that every answer sequence was the same from web to packet.

In the Alternative Fast Pitch Multiple Choice Questions, this is the web version:

36. (FP Only) With one out and R1 and 3B, R2 on 2B, B4 hits a ground ball to F6 who is bumped by R2 while
advancing to 3B. R1 has not reached home plate at the time of the collision. The umpire should:
a) Call a “Delayed Dead Ball” and see how the play develops and apply the penalty after viewing the play.
b) Call a “Dead Ball” and rule the B4 out and send R1 and R2 back to 2B and 3B.
c) Call a “Dead Ball,” rule R2 out, put B4 on 1B and return R1 to 3B.
d) Call a “Dead Ball,” rule R2 out , put B4 on 1B and award R1 Home.

The packet version of the test:

36. (FP Only) With one out and R1 and 3B, R2 on 2B, B4 hits a ground ball to F6 who is bumped by R2 while
advancing to 3B. R1 has not reached home plate at the time of the collision. The umpire should:
a) Call a “Delayed Dead Ball” and see how the play develops and apply the penalty after viewing the play.
b) Call a “Dead Ball,” rule R2 out, put B4 on 1B and return R1 to 3B.
c) Call a “Dead Ball” and rule the B4 out and send R1 and R2 back to 2B and 3B
d) Call a “Dead Ball,” rule R2 out , put B4 on 1B and award R1 Home.

The same thing happened on another question.

Web version:

24. Jones listed ninth in the batting order is replaced by a substitute after reaching 1B safely. Later in the game, Jones re-enters as a runner for a teammate listed third in the order at 2B.
a) This is an illegal re-entry and Jones is disqualified and replaced by a legal substitute.
b) This is an illegal re-entry and Jones is called out
c) This is an illegal re-entry and Jones is declared out and disqualified.
d) This is legal.

Packet version:

24. Jones listed ninth in the batting order is replaced by a substitute after reaching 1B safely. Later in the game, Jones re-enters as a runner for a teammate listed third in the order at 2B.
a) This is an illegal re-entry and Jones is declared out and disqualified.
b) This is an illegal re-entry and Jones is called out
c) This is an illegal re-entry and Jones is disqualified and replaced by a legal substitute.
d) This is legal.

Anyone else get caught in this trap? Why would there be different versions of a test?
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like some inadvertant transposition. I wouldn't consider it a conspiracy.

All that aside, I treat the test as a tool for training and education; it is marginally, at best, a factor for evaluating my umpires (unless they get a horrible score!!). Is it that big an issue to you, or more a matter of personal satisfaction (when you know it changed)?

Some of us (at least I do) know Glenn, your state UIC, well enough to vouch for your situation. Is that needed?
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Sounds like some inadvertant transposition. I wouldn't consider it a conspiracy.

All that aside, I treat the test as a tool for training and education; it is marginally, at best, a factor for evaluating my umpires (unless they get a horrible score!!). Is it that big an issue to you, or more a matter of personal satisfaction (when you know it changed)?

Some of us (at least I do) know Glenn, your state UIC, well enough to vouch for your situation. Is that needed?
Steve, I view it a more an issue of quality control than a conspiracy. I don't understand how or why changes would be made to the document once it was posted on a national website. There's even a little "Revised: 12/08" on the back of the document [same on both versions] that would indicate or at least imply that it was under revsion control of some sort.

I believe Glenn is aware of my rules knowledge, and I don't know if anyone at our regional or state levels is really "keeping score". But I won't turn down an offer to speak glowingly of me to him.

Who knows, maybe I got 4 or 5 answers right as a result of choices made on the web version of the test.
Old Sat Mar 27, 2010, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Steve, I view it a more an issue of quality control than a conspiracy. I don't understand how or why changes would be made to the document once it was posted on a national website. There's even a little "Revised: 12/08" on the back of the document [same on both versions] that would indicate or at least imply that it was under revsion control of some sort.

I believe Glenn is aware of my rules knowledge, and I don't know if anyone at our regional or state levels is really "keeping score". But I won't turn down an offer to speak glowingly of me to him.

Who knows, maybe I got 4 or 5 answers right as a result of choices made on the web version of the test.
Don't know what you are talking about, my copy and the web are the same.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Don't know what you are talking about, my copy and the web are the same.
What I'm talking about is the version of the exam I downloaded [and saved] is different than the hard copy exam that was sent to me. If you like, I can send it to you.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I'm talking about is the version of the exam I downloaded [and saved] is different than the hard copy exam that was sent to me. If you like, I can send it to you.
That's to what I'm referring.

Maybe they caught it and made a change because both look the same here.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...There's even a little "Revised: 12/08" on the back of the document [same on both versions] that would indicate or at least imply that it was under revision control of some sort....
OK, so they caught an error and fixed it. Putting a revision indicator on the document and then revising the document without changing the revision indicator is just sloppy.

But, then, so is taking an exam without actually reading the questions before answering!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
OK, so they caught an error and fixed it. Putting a revision indicator on the document and then revising the document without changing the revision indicator is just sloppy.

But, then, so is taking an exam without actually reading the questions before answering!
I don't think that is what Ted did. I believe he took the test based in one format the the answer key was based upon another.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't think that is what Ted did. I believe he took the test based in one format the the answer key was based upon another.
Exactly. Who'd_a_thunk there'd be differences from one to the other. My printed out web version has a reference for every answer and is color-coded for pitching, obstruction, interference, substitutions, equipment, etc.

That probably goes a bit further than the average blue, but I keep my exams for refreshers. Gotta remember about rule changes, though, during the years.

I come to this forum for a sounding board and to get answers or confirmations for things I've seen or discussed locally. I've learned a lot here, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

i do not think they did any bait and switch. I suggest a new title.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Well, perhaps from a lawyer's perspective, bait and switch might be a little too strong. That might involve malicious and intentional actions to deceive a customer.

Guess I'm not a customer, but an "independent contractor". And, the title was meant as tongue in cheek, despite the lack of smiley thingies.

In any case, the quality control aspect of producing and publishing the test was definitely lacking. I did get a response from KR:

"Ted,

I was informed that the test on the web did not match the printed exam. During the development of the test we had several versions and I found out the version on the web was incorrect. I made the change to the web one and informed all the RUIC of the change so to be sure everyone new. Apparently it did not filter down to you. I apologies for the confusion.

Kevin"

I'm over it until next year's test comes out.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, perhaps from a lawyer's perspective, bait and switch might be a little too strong. That might involve malicious and intentional actions to deceive a customer.

Guess I'm not a customer, but an "independent contractor". And, the title was meant as tongue in cheek, despite the lack of smiley thingies.

In any case, the quality control aspect of producing and publishing the test was definitely lacking. I did get a response from KR:

"Ted,

I was informed that the test on the web did not match the printed exam. During the development of the test we had several versions and I found out the version on the web was incorrect. I made the change to the web one and informed all the RUIC of the change so to be sure everyone new. Apparently it did not filter down to you. I apologies for the confusion.

Kevin"
I'm over it until next year's test comes out.
Well, it didn't filter down to me, either and you would think I would need to know of such a change.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

You want to talk about a "bait and switch" on an umpire test...

After a decade of umpiring FED baseball and ASA softball, I finally decided to get certified for FED softball. The week before taking our certification test, we were given a dry-run "practice" test- same questions as on the "real" test, only in different order (they must really want us to pass this thing!).

On the practice test, I missed two particular questions (true/false). So, on the final test I marked the opposite answer- and still had them graded as wrong!

Here I was convinced that a "true/false" question could only have two possible answers. Apparently, there is a third answer that I'm just not grasping!

Oh well, I can live with a 97% instead of a 99% on Part I of the test (I aced Part II) since it was a "pass/fail" test and the final scores don't affect assignments, ratings, etc.