The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Out of the mouths of freshman coaches

Worked a solo freshman game last night. One of the teams shows up with 18 players, 13 of them in red jerseys, 5 in blue. Explain to coach that they must all be like uniforms and her school needs to get some more jerseys, she says they wont spend the money. She then hands me her lineup card and some of her subs have 2 numbers, one being in perenthecies. I ask about this, she explains that those are the players in blue uniforms and if they come into the game they are just going to switch jerseys with a red player. LOL.

Typical complaints from both coaches about runners leaving early etc etc etc. Finally a player hits a line drive into left field, probably 40' past 3rd base. Ball tails a little but easily lands 10' inside the line in fair territory then spins into foul. Batter ends up with a triple out of it, here comes coach. "That was a foul ball!". No coach, it was fair. "No one touched that ball until it was foul" Coach, it landed in fair territory beyond 3rd base it is fair. "I played college softball, I think I know the rules of the game."
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

You better let me know which team(s) this was so that I can avoid them...or not!

Will you send me a report on the team with the Jersey issue? Generally, at the Freshman level, it's not as big a deal, but I want it for reference.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Andy, already sent.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ball tails a little but easily lands 10' inside the line in fair territory then spins into foul. Batter ends up with a triple out of it, here comes coach. "That was a foul ball!". No coach, it was fair. "No one touched that ball until it was foul" Coach, it landed in fair territory beyond 3rd base it is fair. "I played college softball, I think I know the rules of the game."
Must have been there on an athletic scholarship.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 03:41pm.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I once had a coach question why I wasn't enforcing the LBR. he said "my catcher is having to look the runners back. you should call the runners out". I did my best to give a face saving reply with all his girls around.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2010, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Who yesterday thought a batted ball was fair because the fielder's feet were.
Should have told him you remember that pitch, it was called illegal
Old Fri Apr 02, 2010, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

You should point the coach to this 2010 editorial change from the NFHS site.

2-20-1f
Clarified that a batted ball is fair if it first falls or is first touched on or over fair territory beyond first, second, or third base
Old Fri Apr 02, 2010, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Another one from yesterday. Runners on 2 & 3, no outs, batter pops up to F5, both runners going on the hit. Runner from 3 crosses plate and turns toward dugout, runner from 2 rounds 3rd and is half way home. Ball gets caught and chaos ensues. Ball thrown to catcher, thrown back to F5, thrown back to catcher, runner that crossed home now decides to head back to 3rd, runner from 2nd is standing on 3rd, ball thrown back to F5 who steps on bag, but doesnt tag runner standing there. Runner standing on 3rd now decides to run back to 2nd. In the mean time the coach is looking at me yelling, "what do we do? what do we do?" Now F5 tries for the triple play by throwing to F4 at 2nd, except she throws it into right center. Runner never retouches 2nd and scores. Now I have both coaches yelling, what do we do?
Old Fri Apr 02, 2010, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Another one from yesterday. Runners on 2 & 3, no outs, batter pops up to F5, both runners going on the hit. Runner from 3 crosses plate and turns toward dugout, runner from 2 rounds 3rd and is half way home. Ball gets caught and chaos ensues. Ball thrown to catcher, thrown back to F5, thrown back to catcher, runner that crossed home now decides to head back to 3rd, runner from 2nd is standing on 3rd, ball thrown back to F5 who steps on bag, but doesnt tag runner standing there. Runner standing on 3rd now decides to run back to 2nd. In the mean time the coach is looking at me yelling, "what do we do? what do we do?" Now F5 tries for the triple play by throwing to F4 at 2nd, except she throws it into right center. Runner never retouches 2nd and scores. Now I have both coaches yelling, what do we do?
If F5 tagged the runner standing on 3rd, I'd still require an actual verbal appeal before I'd believe he wanted the runner for leaving early at second.

As for what you do, unless someone calls time, you let B4 bat. If the coach calls time, you deal with what he brings to you. If an infielder tells you that R2 left early you call her out on appeal and go to the next inning.
________
MatureOfKind live

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:17pm.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Both coaches kept asking me what to do. Just kept my mouth shut, called for next batter and said play ball. After the game I explained to them what they needed to do.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Both coaches kept asking me what to do. Just kept my mouth shut, called for next batter and said play ball. After the game I explained to them what they needed to do.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, pack up the gear and go home

Think that would have worked if you told them that during the play

Really don't understand why they would expect the umpire to tell them especially the coach who played college ball and knew the rules
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Who yesterday thought a batted ball was fair because the fielder's feet were.

Hello, all. It's good to know I have this board of many very knowledgeable officials, who love the best game on earth and give of their time to help improve fellow umpires, which in turn, improves the quality of games for fans, players, and coaches alike.

I'm still hoping a coach will ask me where the fielders feet were in the situation you quoted above, Cecil. I forget who; but someone on this board when asked "where were her feet, blue?" said: ..."In her shoes, coach, but what matters is where the ball was when touched... not where the fielders feet were". Nothing like fun at the ole' ball park. Al
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Possibly related to the VARSiTY coach that told me leaping is ok because he has a photo of Jennie Finch ...
C'mon, it's the same coach that wrote the hands are part of the bat and tie goes to the runner rules
Old Sun Apr 04, 2010, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

"I played college softball, I think I know the rules of the game."

"Coach, I know guys who played Major League Baseball and don't know the rules of that game."

Last edited by greymule; Tue Apr 06, 2010 at 05:55pm.