The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetheump View Post
grey - One thing you have to remember is the word "fan" is short for "fanatic." Fans (and some coaches) go bonkers because they do not understand the rules (most times, they don't READ the rules, let alone understand them). Also remember, no matter what we call, we are going to *iss off 50 percent of the people 100 percent of the time." So....just go out there and give it your best.
Cute little pep talk there, Stevie. But based on Greymule's posting history, I dare say he has enough experience that he doesn't need that. I would hazard a guess that he shared his anecdote as a way of reinforcing for us lesser experienced officials on how to handle such cases. So. . .just go out there and give it your best.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

"Fans (and some coaches) go bonkers because they do not understand the rules."

Yes, I'm accustomed to this. Listing all the rules I've been accused of not knowing would be the longest post on this website. But three recent cases in girls' ASA FP are typical: (1) When I upheld a dead ball appeal on a missed base, some "fans" were outraged—even though the miss was obvious—because I had upheld the appeal improperly: the "experts" knew that the defense had to return the ball to the pitcher, who then had to "call time" and throw to the base to appeal the baserunner's error; (2) I called a foul ball when F5 reached over the 3B line into foul territory to glove a chopper, but the fans could see clearly that "both [F5's] feet were obviously in fair territory"; and (3) A runner beat the throw to 1B but touched the white base. Play continued, and a run scored while the BR returned to 1B. After play ended, with the BR standing on 1B, the defensive coach appealed that the BR "touched the white base."

Maybe things are getting better, though. It's been years since I've been lectured by a knowledgeable fan that "the fielder has to hold the ball for three seconds. It's right in the rule book!"
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
But three recent cases in girls' ASA FP are typical: (1) When I upheld a dead ball appeal on a missed base, some "fans" were outraged—even though the miss was obvious—because I had upheld the appeal improperly: the "experts" knew that the defense had to return the ball to the pitcher, who then had to "call time" and throw to the base to appeal the baserunner's error; (2) I called a foul ball when F5 reached over the 3B line into foul territory to glove a chopper, but the fans could see clearly that "both [F5's] feet were obviously in fair territory"; and (3) A runner beat the throw to 1B but touched the white base. Play continued, and a run scored while the BR returned to 1B. After play ended, with the BR standing on 1B, the defensive coach appealed that the BR "touched the white base."

Maybe things are getting better, though. It's been years since I've been lectured by a knowledgeable fan that 4) "the fielder has to hold the ball for three seconds. It's right in the rule book!"
More proof that
1) They never get their heads out of LL
2) They watch too much football and baseball TV doesn't help
3) Most only learn half a rule

4)With today's schools, they can't count to three.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
More proof that
1) They never get their heads out of LL
2) They watch too much football and baseball TV doesn't help
3) Most only learn half a rule

4)With today's schools, they can't count to three.
Well said, Cecil. I had a coach who told me a couple years ago that the (ASA SP) "strike zone" was from "the batter's FRONT shoulder to the BACK knee." Try visualizing that. I told him it was from the "BACK shoulder to the FRONT knee." He was certain HE was right. So, after the game, I broke out the rule book, looked up its' definition and let HIM read it. He was dumbfounded.

Last edited by Stevetheump; Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 07:55pm.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetheump View Post
Well said, Cecil. I had a coach who told me a couple years ago that the (ASA SP) "strike zone" was from "the batter's FRONT shoulder to the BACK knee." Try visualizing that. I told him it was from the "BACK shoulder to the FRONT knee." He was certain HE was right. So, after the game, I broke out the rule book, looked up its' definition and let HIM read it. He was dumbfounded.
I may be mistaken, but that may be the old U-Trip rule. I haven't called U-Trip in well over a decade, but I seem to remember doing a double-take when reading their definition of the strike zone in the book.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I may be mistaken, but that may be the old U-Trip rule. I haven't called U-Trip in well over a decade, but I seem to remember doing a double-take when reading their definition of the strike zone in the book.
Please clarify in posts like this that you are referring to slow pitch rules.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope...the old USSSA Slo-Pitch rule read "front knee to back shoulder." I was actually calling both USSSA and SP in those days.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Slo-Pitch .
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Please clarify in posts like this that you are referring to slow pitch rules.
Quoting a guy talking about SP rules wasn't obvious enough?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I see you got my humor, or lack thereof!

Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quoting a guy talking about SP rules wasn't obvious enough?
As long as everyone reads the quote and reads it carefully enough to see the little "SP", ok.

Just being sure no one thinks we USSSA Fast Pitch umpires are that confused, because USSSA Fast Pitch organizationally is quite different than U-trip SP.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As long as everyone reads the quote and reads it carefully enough to see the little "SP", ok.

Just being sure no one thinks we USSSA Fast Pitch umpires are that confused, because USSSA Fast Pitch organizationally is quite different than U-trip SP.

I can remember a time when they were one and the same. My first USSSA UIC for this area was strictly a SP guy! (So was most of the state organization at that time!)

Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Way to represent Utrip fastpitch in our area Cecil.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Way to represent Utrip fastpitch in our area Cecil.
And notice I use USSSA and not the slang and often derogatory u-trip.
See you on the 2nd.