The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Batter walks and overruns 1st base

There are two situations that I would like to hear your thoughts on. Lately, both seem to be interpretted calls. Please let me know if I have missed a rule.

The batter walks and overruns first base

1. The catcher throws to 1st base. 1B tags the batter-runner who jogged up the line after touching 1B

2. The catcher returns the ball to the pitcher before the batter-runner touches 1st base. The Batter runner overruns the base, (making a sharp left turn), and then immediately returns to 1st base. She made no effort or feint to go to 2B.

My interpretation:
Out on 1. She forfeits her exemption after touching 1B on a walk.
Safe on 2. No effort, no feint, no stop

Thank you
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

You missed the first one. On a walk, the batter becomes a batter-runner, and is entitled to all of the same rights as one who becomes a batter-runner by hitting the ball. The only difference is that the one who walks cannot be put out on the way to first base.

That means she can overrun first base, just like everyone else. This is true in ASA, NFHS, and NCAA. It may not be true in Little League; I seem to recall a different interpretation from when I did LL baseball about 20 years ago (or, it may have been a myth I was told to be a rule then).
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

On the 2nd, you seem to think it's important that there was no feint or effort to go to 2nd. It's not. She can do that... in fact she can simply go to 2nd if she wants. What she can't do, with the ball in the circle is A) stop and/or reverse direction more than one time, or B) stop for longer than "immediate", which most umpires take as about 1-2 seconds in this case.

On the 1st, she did nothing wrong. Safe, as AUS said.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Since # 2 appears to be the look back rule. I have some questions.

If you call the runner out, is it an immediate dead ball? Common sense tells me yes, because the pitcher could attempt a play after the runner violates the rule.

If a batter walks and a runner is on third, isn't she also required to make an immediate return once the walked batter touches 1st? If both violate, is it two outs?

Is a fake throw considered a play by the pitcher? What about the feet? Does she have to be on the rubber or just in the circle?

What sanctions have this rule?

I call a lot in our local youth fastpitch league (ASA rules). This is one of the most misunderstood rules and those younger runners love to dance off the base.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D

If you call the runner out, is it an immediate dead ball?
Yes.
Quote:
If a batter walks and a runner is on third, isn't she also required to make an immediate return once the walked batter touches 1st?
Yes.
Quote:
If both violate, is it two outs?
No. You call out the first one who violates.
Quote:
Is a fake throw considered a play by the pitcher?
Yes.
Quote:
What about the feet? Does she have to be on the rubber or just in the circle?
In the circle (completely).
Quote:
All fastpitch that I know of.
Quote:
I call a lot in our local youth fastpitch league (ASA rules). This is one of the most misunderstood rules and those younger runners love to dance off the base.
Don't let them. They need to decide which way to move "immediately"... One-one thousand, two-one th... DEAD BALL - OUT.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you call the runner out, is it an immediate dead ball? Common sense tells me yes, because the pitcher could attempt a play after the runner violates the rule.

If a batter walks and a runner is on third, isn't she also required to make an immediate return once the walked batter touches 1st? If both violate, is it two outs?

Is a fake throw considered a play by the pitcher? What about the feet? Does she have to be on the rubber or just in the circle?

A)Yes on a dead ball for the LBR. Ball is dead
B)Yes the runner on 3rd must go back to 3rd or head home after the B/R gets to 1st base.
C)Yes when the pitcher raises her arm then she's making a play on the runner and a fake throw is making a play
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Yikes.

Slow pitch is such an easy game.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan55
Slow pitch is such an easy game.
to play.

Some of what was above is not true in NFHS - there are rules about attempting 2nd after overrunning 1st and the ever-popular runnning lane violation on a throw to 1st for every BR.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

What about the feet? Does she have to be on the rubber or just in the circle?

Originally Posted by Dakota
In the circle (completely).

Both ASA and NFHS say the feet must be in or within the circle. Both feet completely in the circle is in the circle. One foot in and the other on the line is considered in the circle. Both feet on the line is considered in the circle. Anything else is not in the circle.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Sure, the lines are in the circle.