The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Even if you have umpires, it is never enough.

If an organization stops accepting umpires, the only thing that comes to my mind is greed. And in a few years, who is going to umpire those games? I find it hard to believe someone thinks people are going to hang around and stand in line waiting to be accepted by an organization.
This is why I thought it was a strange move. In my association I'm one of the younger guys. The veteran umpires are not going to be around forever, so I think you might as well get as many new umpires as you can every year. You need to improve the chances of some of them sticking around.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Even if you have umpires, it is never enough.

If an organization stops accepting umpires, the only thing that comes to my mind is greed. And in a few years, who is going to umpire those games? I find it hard to believe someone thinks people are going to hang around and stand in line waiting to be accepted by an organization.
But at the same time, you want to respect your veteran staff by making sure they're satisfied with their assignments. If you've got 100 umpires and only have 10 fields per night, 5 nights a week with 2-umpire crews, you're only talking 1 night per week, and you can expect some very unhappy vets.

You don't want to turn away good help, but you also don't want to pi$$ off your core crew. After all, the average umpire's career is only 3 years long. Stick with the guys who have stuck it out with you for longer and continue to do excellent work.

I've been very loyal to my assignor, almost to a fault. I will only call for him, period, despite having gotten offers to call elsewhere for more money. He, in return, has been very good about making sure my calendar is full with good assignments.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Umpires, young and old(er).............

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
This is why I thought it was a strange move. In my association I'm one of the younger guys. The veteran umpires are not going to be around forever, so I think you might as well get as many new umpires as you can every year. You need to improve the chances of some of them sticking around.
Well said, Seth. Umpiring is not for everybody. To be a successful ump, you've got to have the right mindset, training and desire. I've been with my current association for 3 years now. Having been in the military, I've had to join a new association every time I went to a new duty station. I was fortunate enough to do both a Men's (FP) Class "B" State tourament ('87) and a Men's (FP) Class "B" National tournament ('88) when I was in New Mexico. But, that was when I was "younger." Now that I'm "older," I know at some point in the near future, I'll hang it up so, I'm looking for the next generation of umpires. We did have one - a 16-year old girl who played FP for many years. She was a "natural." Her first year was great and she was a "jewel" of an umpire. Unfortunately, she was killed in an auto accident last October. Our association is remembering her with a patch that has her initials on it that we'll be wearing when we take the field this year (and for years to come).
It would best serve EVERY association to recruit, recruit, recruit.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, that is truly sad to hear.

To update this, we had our first meeting last week and there were several brand new officials joining. Just as well since I heard a couple longtime vets talk about this year or next year being their last.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sooner or later.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Steve, that is truly sad to hear.

To update this, we had our first meeting last week and there were several brand new officials joining. Just as well since I heard a couple longtime vets talk about this year or next year being their last.
Sooner or later, every umpire retires (or quits). You lose the desire, or you physically can't do it anymore. I know I'm on the "downside" of my umpiring career, but I'm not ready to give it up just yet. I think I still have a few years left in me.