The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

ASA National Umpire School- Columbus, Ohio

Just thought I'd check and see if anyone here is going to be at the ASA NUS next weekend in Columbus. It's always nice to be able to put a face with a name for folks from the forum.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Just thought I'd check and see if anyone here is going to be at the ASA NUS next weekend in Columbus. It's always nice to be able to put a face with a name for folks from the forum.
OK, if not Ohio, who's going to Florida next weekend?
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

I noticed that they're holding two schools that same weekend, which is kind of unusual.

I wonder which location will get the "A-list" national staffers? Can't see too many opting for cold and dreary Ohio over warm and sunny Florida!
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I noticed that they're holding two schools that same weekend, which is kind of unusual.

I wonder which location will get the "A-list" national staffers? Can't see too many opting for cold and dreary Ohio over warm and sunny Florida!
Interesting point. As an aside, the head of training, Jim Craig, is scheduled to a clinic in Atlanta on Saturday, so he wouldn't be at either.

Just a guess, but I would expect you might see Julie Johnson, Jerry Fick, Bernie Profato, maybe Mike DeLeo in Columbus; perhaps Larry Montgomery, Max Wilkes, Dick Gayler, maybe Gene Harrison or Walt Sparks in Florida. That would be the geographical probables, anyway, and some strong clinicians in each group.

Hopefully, some one from each site will let us know next week, just for the information.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Two guys from here going...........

Quote:
Bret - I know of two umpires in my association that are going. As for me, I'll attend LOCAL clinics/schools even tournanments, but I refuse to leave my handicapped wife's side for an overnight/weekend ANYTHING.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Interesting point. As an aside, the head of training, Jim Craig, is scheduled to a clinic in Atlanta on Saturday, so he wouldn't be at either.

Just a guess, but I would expect you might see Julie Johnson, Jerry Fick, Bernie Profato, maybe Mike DeLeo in Columbus; perhaps Larry Montgomery, Max Wilkes, Dick Gayler, maybe Gene Harrison or Walt Sparks in Florida. That would be the geographical probables, anyway, and some strong clinicians in each group.

Hopefully, some one from each site will let us know next week, just for the information.
FYI

As an attendee in FL, I received notice that
"Instructors coming from the ASA are: Larry Montgomery, Gene Harrison and Max Wilkes."
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetheump View Post
Bret - I know of two umpires in my association that are going. As for me, I'll attend LOCAL clinics/schools even tournanments, but I refuse to leave my handicapped wife's side for an overnight/weekend ANYTHING.
I'm sorry to hear that, Steve. Out of honest curiosity, would it be possible to bring her along on one of these trips to a National School? If the location's right, she could still enjoy herself while you get some good training and meet some good umpires!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
FYI

"Instructors coming from the ASA are: Larry Montgomery, Gene Harrison and Max Wilkes."
Oh you'll have a great time with Larry! He's a great instructor, and he'll keep you on your toes! He was at the Cary, NC, clinic in 2008, and I'll go to any of his schools any day of the week.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
FYI

Pretty fair guess work on my part. All three were in the group of five I suggested as most likely.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Pretty fair guess work on my part. All three were in the group of five I suggested as most likely.

So what's your FL LOTTO pick for Wed. ?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

National school.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, Steve. Out of honest curiosity, would it be possible to bring her along on one of these trips to a National School? If the location's right, she could still enjoy herself while you get some good training and meet some good umpires!
I guess we could do that, NC, but trips really take a lot out of her (and me). As it is now, we usually take one trip a year (up to see my folks in NH). Even that takes a toll on the both of us (I'm the driver). It sure ain't gettin' any easier.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

The first day of the Columbus NUS is in the books...

Good guesses on the instructors, Steve. Of course, Jerry Fick is pretty much a "gimme", what with him being located in Cincinnati and heavily involved in all things ASA in Ohio.

We only had two national staff members, the second being Julie Johnson. I had never met Julie before. She struck me as a very competent and entusiastic instructor.

The student/teacher ratio is about 25-to-1. This class is much smaller than the last one I attended in 2008. We had 150 umpires at that one!
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

So what about the second day Bretman?

Also I think almost all National schools are smaller than that one in 2008 was!! I was there too, a bunch of people for sure!!
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Second day...more of the same, with a focus on plate work. Wide spread heel-toe stances, Good Pelvic Alignment, coming set, tracking the ball, timing and all that fun stuff!

I did get a final head count on attendance. We had 60, so the student/instructor ratio was actually 30-1.

I don't want to come off as sounding arrogant, or try to sound like a know-it-all, but I can honestly say that I don't think anything was presented over these two days that I haven't heard before. Having just attended a NUS two years ago, and making a conscious effort to keep up with all the training offered at the local level, personally this clinic was more of a good review than any sort of eye-opening learning experience.

(I could probably also attribute a lot of that to being active on forums like this one, where a wealth of good information is available for any umpire that wants to mine it.)

At least I got to do something "umpire-related" in the dead of winter, had a chance to see some of my buddies from the summer and had some face time with "higher-ups" in the local and state ASA chain of command. Throw in a spiffy souvenier shirt, a suitable for framing graduation certificate and a free ASA umpire flipping coin and it was a weekend well spent!
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Clinics & camps.............

Quote:
Second day...more of the same, with a focus on plate work. Wide spread heel-toe stances, Good Pelvic Alignment, coming set, tracking the ball, timing and all that fun stuff!

I did get a final head count on attendance. We had 60, so the student/instructor ratio was actually 30-1.

I don't want to come off as sounding arrogant, or try to sound like a know-it-all, but I can honestly say that I don't think anything was presented over these two days that I haven't heard before. Having just attended a NUS two years ago, and making a conscious effort to keep up with all the training offered at the local level, personally this clinic was more of a good review than any sort of eye-opening learning experience.

(I could probably also attribute a lot of that to being active on forums like this one, where a wealth of good information is available for any umpire that wants to mine it.)

At least I got to do something "umpire-related" in the dead of winter, had a chance to see some of my buddies from the summer and had some face time with "higher-ups" in the local and state ASA chain of command. Throw in a spiffy souvenier shirt, a suitable for framing graduation certificate and a free ASA umpire flipping coin and it was a weekend well spent!
Bret - A good weekend overall for you. Our association clinic isn't until the latter part of March (we usually have it in January), so I still have a about another 6 weeks to wait.
I try to learn something at EVERY clinic. I think if you keep an open mind, you WILL learn something. Those who think they know it all, don't.