The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
R1 on 3b, walked BR rounds 1b towards 2b, F1 raises throwing arm (so R1 is free to step off 3b).
As F1 turns to address R1, BR calls "hey, hey" to F1 to bring her attention back to the rundown between 1b & 2b. Not once, but every time F1 looked back at R1. Of course, one P.O.'d DC. Do you have interference on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Interference can only be called when something has been done by the offense to actively hinder a play. I just don't see that here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
where it is obvious to the blind man two blocks away that the fielder was hindered or distracted.
Skahtboi & Steve... how does the situation NOT fall into what you described? Skahtboi says something done by the offense to hinder a play. The R (offense) did something (yelled) to hinder (prevent the throw to 2b) the play.

Steve, the fielder (pitcher) was distracted.

A little story... the first travel game my DD (10) played in... she's nervous enough. We're up against a "dedicated" travel team (we're basically rec all stars). My DD is pitching. R at 3rd base takes a lead off, ball is returned to F1 and R claps AT my DD. Obviously she (R) was trying to get F1s attention. To try to calm down my daughter I simply yell "good for her, she knows how to clap.". DD smiled and went on. After the 1/2 inning, the runner's mother came over to me and criticized me for making fun of her daughter. When I asked her why her daughter clapped... "that's what she was taught to do."

Before it comes up, I don't remember if F1 was back in the circle or not, I wasn't worried about interference or LBR or anything like that. I just felt like telling you the story.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
Skahtboi & Steve... how does the situation NOT fall into what you described? Skahtboi says something done by the offense to hinder a play. The R (offense) did something (yelled) to hinder (prevent the throw to 2b) the play.

Steve, the fielder (pitcher) was distracted.

A little story... the first travel game my DD (10) played in... she's nervous enough. We're up against a "dedicated" travel team (we're basically rec all stars). My DD is pitching. R at 3rd base takes a lead off, ball is returned to F1 and R claps AT my DD. Obviously she (R) was trying to get F1s attention. To try to calm down my daughter I simply yell "good for her, she knows how to clap.". DD smiled and went on. After the 1/2 inning, the runner's mother came over to me and criticized me for making fun of her daughter. When I asked her why her daughter clapped... "that's what she was taught to do."

Before it comes up, I don't remember if F1 was back in the circle or not, I wasn't worried about interference or LBR or anything like that. I just felt like telling you the story.

Sam...let me begin by pointing out that there was no play that occurred here. Without some type of play occurring, you can't have interference no matter what happens.

Next, verbal interference must be something that actively hinders the player from making the play, and must deviate from the normal course of the game. The chanting that goes on in the dugouts, coaches giving directives, players communicating with each other or with their coaches, even the little hand clapping thing you mention, and that we all see year after year in the 12U categories do not meet this qualification. Nor does the situation in the post we are discussing. These are normal, routine parts of the game.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Sam...let me begin by pointing out that there was no play that occurred here. Without some type of play occurring, you can't have interference no matter what happens.
That makes sense.

Quote:
Next, verbal interference must be something that actively hinders the player from making the play, and must deviate from the normal course of the game. The chanting that goes on in the dugouts, coaches giving directives, players communicating with each other or with their coaches, even the little hand clapping thing you mention, and that we all see year after year in the 12U categories do not meet this qualification. Nor does the situation in the post we are discussing. These are normal, routine parts of the game.
No problem with any of that.

Thanks
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks
You're certainly welcome.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

without trying to find out who said it, i wish to add to the point of the defensive player knowing the situation the thought that said player should be looking out the side of his/her eye and know that the runner on third is on the bag as she is about to field the ball (catcher has got to be aware of what runnner is doing on 3b just before fielding ball). if player does that and i think it is acceptable to expect this out of a player, then the yelling of going would be or should be ignored by the catcher. hence, no interfernce on this play.

food for thought.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Interference?

Quote:
This is posted on another message board with a discussion of whether this tactic is illegal, unethical, or "smart" playing. I want to get the opinion of umpires if this happened in your game.

The poster later "clarified" the runner is yelling at the 3rd base coach, not at the opposing team. Does that make a difference? Does the age make a difference?

Thoughts?
First of all, why would the RUNNER be yelling that at the 3rd base coach? It makes no sense.
Second, interference is "ANY ACT by an offensive player....." It does NOT have to be just "physical" contact.
Third, if I judged his yelling as the runner's attempt to "impede, hinder or confuse" the defensive player, I'm going to call it. No doubt the manager will pitch a fit, but, I doubt that team would repeat that tactic.

Last edited by Stevetheump; Sun Jan 17, 2010 at 07:41pm.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Unique verbalization, SC Ump...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
If the above play was my call, I have nothing.

However, to the item quoted here, the proper mechanic is to verbalize, "Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!"
LOL. I'll keep that one in mind.