The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Interference? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/55947-interference.html)

SamG Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:23pm

Interference?

This is posted on another message board with a discussion of whether this tactic is illegal, unethical, or "smart" playing. I want to get the opinion of umpires if this happened in your game.

Quote:

One of the other posts reminded me of a play we used ALOT, to try and distract the catcher about to throw down to 1st

Runner on third. Batter lays down a bunt. Catcher goes after ball. Runner on 3rd has not moved off the bag. An instant before the catcher touches the ball, 3BR yells 'RUNNER" or "GOING" as he/she sprints for 2 steps and stops.

MOST of the time the catcher will at least hesitate making the throw to first, giving the batter/runner another second to make it there safely.

If the catcher turns toward third, you have to dive back but your batter/runner will be safe.

At BEST, the catcher hesitates, makes a hurried throw to first (or third) and 3br score, Batter / runner may or may not make it to 2nd.

Dont recall anyone talking about this. Does anyone else do this or were we the only ones?
The poster later "clarified" the runner is yelling at the 3rd base coach, not at the opposing team. Does that make a difference? Does the age make a difference?

Thoughts?

SC Ump Wed Dec 16, 2009 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 643020)
The poster later "clarified" the runner is yelling at the 3rd base coach...

If the above play was my call, I have nothing.

However, to the item quoted here, the proper mechanic is to verbalize, "Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!"

Skahtboi Wed Dec 16, 2009 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by samg (Post 643020)
this is posted on another message board with a discussion of whether this tactic is illegal, unethical, or "smart" playing. I want to get the opinion of umpires if this happened in your game.

The poster later "clarified" the runner is yelling at the 3rd base coach, not at the opposing team. Does that make a difference? Does the age make a difference?

Thoughts?

dmc.

CecilOne Wed Dec 16, 2009 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 643020)
This is posted on another message board with a discussion of whether this tactic is illegal, unethical, or "smart" playing. I want to get the opinion of umpires if this happened in your game.

Thoughts?

OK, any distraction or a fielder not thinking is INT. :eek: :p

SamG Wed Dec 16, 2009 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 643111)
OK, any distraction or a fielder not thinking is INT. :eek: :p

No, I was just reading in the other discussion, not participating and some were arguing it could be called interference. While I don't think it qualifies as that, I think it is "bush" league... especially in the younger age group. My .02

Tex Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32pm

Nothing other then DMC.

SamG Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:36am

dmc?:confused:

Skahtboi Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 643406)
dmc?:confused:

"Dumb move, catcher"

SamG Thu Dec 17, 2009 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 643464)
"Dumb move, catcher"

ah, thanks.

Skahtboi Thu Dec 17, 2009 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 643476)
ah, thanks.

You're welcome.

Andy Thu Dec 17, 2009 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 643173)
No, I was just reading in the other discussion, not participating and some were arguing it could be called interference. While I don't think it qualifies as that, I think it is "bush" league... especially in the younger age group. My .02

My thought exactly as I read the OP....bush league, but not illegal.

Andy Thu Dec 17, 2009 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 643173)

My thought exactly as I read the OP....bush league, but not illegal.

CecilOne Thu Dec 17, 2009 04:20pm

Some people give 2 cents, others give 2 posts. :) ;)

Az.Ump Thu Dec 17, 2009 07:52pm

Andy has big fingers. :)

Paul

robbie Mon Dec 21, 2009 07:21pm

Text book interference.

"Interference is the act of an offensive player or team member, who impedes or confuses a defensive player while attempting to esecute a play. If judged so by the umpire, vocal interference may be called."

Similar to offense yelling "I got it" on a fly ball. Dead ball, out, runners return.