The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
thanks for the responses. KJ, good point with your question. I think the reason I didn't toss him on the postage stamp line was that I was partially shocked to be hearing what was being said. we've never had anything close to that, arguments-wise.

the league still hasn't ruled on his appeal. (he appealed the automatic 1-game suspension that, if upheld, will keep him out of the first playoff game next week.)
Don't be shocked...just ALWAYS expect the worse from these rats. Like the large number of experienced veteran umpires on this forum, I never go looking for trouble on the field, but I always expect it to (and am never surprised when it does) rear it's ugly head. When it does I deal with it. Doesn't mean it always results in an EJ....but you need to let them no what kind if sh** you're not going to tolerate.
Over time (you've only been at this 5 years), they'll learn that you're not the kind of umpire to pull that kind of BS on. BTW...that last statement is only true if you are the kind of ump who works hard every game by looking and carrying yourself in a confident professional manner. That you hustle, display crisp mechanics and good positioning on every call. That you show you have a firm grasp of the rules and a through understanding of their intent and application in game situations. That you display couarge, confidence and conviction in your calls and decisions.
Good luck in your development as an umpire...sounds like you're already on the right track. Your question in your OP was a good one, and something that all young umpires have to learn how to handle.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

sooner is alway better than later...nips everything....
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorazul View Post
sooner is alway better than later...nips everything....
Sí, estoy de acuerdo, Mr. Blue.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.