The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

skip delay of game warn. and go right to T?

Is there any situation where you could skip the DOG warning and give a Tech off the bat?

Last year I had a JVgame where the home team was still pressing with a 25pt lead. They make a basket, catch the ball out of the net steps back looks over his left shoulder, his right shoulder them places the ball at his own feet. Since this was done absolutely to gain a huge advantage by giving his team time and actually checking to see the press was set up could have I skipped the warning and given him the T? I gave them the warning and he pulled the press. I also told my partner if they even looked at the ball wrong after they scored I wanted the second DOG that would give them the T. I know I should have called DOG when he caught it but I didn't.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 01:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, there are situations where you'd skip the warning (actually, you'd give the T and warning at the same time), but this generally isn't it. Call the DOG the first time and they'll stop doing it.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

There is only one of which I know.

BOUNDARY-PLANE WARNING – LAST SECOND TACTIC
9.2.11 SITUATION: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1's hands. Team B has not been warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower's efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-47-1; 10-1-10)

Other than under these specific conditions the only way that one could go straight to a technical foul would be if the action was deemed to be unsporting behavior.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 02:46am
We don't rent pigs

While we're on this subject, I have seen officials give the delay warning and/or
technical foul when I did not feel it was necessary. Sometimes the ball comes out of the net at such an angle that a player in position to rebound can either catch it or get hit in the head. Many times a player of the team that has scored will tap the ball toward an opponent. My opinion is that a touch does not mean a call unless it actually does cause a delay. I once saw a guy tap the ball out of bounds, and the ref made a big spectacle: "Delay of game warning on red! Leave the ball alone, #55!" The odd part is that the white team had just scored and it was red's ball. Nobody appeared to notice.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 08:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by klo376
Is there any situation where you could skip the DOG warning and give a Tech off the bat?
Yes, I think in NCAA-W you skip the warning and go with the T. In HS, play it by the book and quite looking for trouble. It sounds like for this game you become too emotional to what's occurring in the game. With that being said, here's something that I think you can do. Give the player a verbal warning to leave the ball along. We're not going to stop for a big DOG warning, since the games determined. Next time anyone on that team touches the ball, TECHNICAL! Coach is definitely going to get up and say, don't we get a warning. You say, yes, I warn 55 the last time up the court.

Remember one thing, you gave the delay and got the desired results. Coach looked up at the score and came to his senses and pulled the press off. Mission accomplished. Good question....
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 09:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
With that being said, here's something that I think you can do. Give the player a verbal warning to leave the ball along. We're not going to stop for a big DOG warning, since the games determined. Next time anyone on that team touches the ball, TECHNICAL! Coach is definitely going to get up and say, don't we get a warning. You say, yes, I warn 55 the last time up the court.
And the coach is also going to be definitely right too. That's because you're making up your very own Old School rules again. You can't issue a DOG technical foul without a team warning being entered in the score book first and the head coach also being informed of such.

How are you going to justify what you're telling people to do if an interpreter/assignor/evaluator then asks you or them why there wasn't a team warning put in the score book first? You can get away with stuff like that in your rec leagues, but I sureasheck wouldn't recommend that anyone else try it in a real game.

If you're going to tell a player not to touch the ball, fine. Don't call a technical foul for repeating that act though unless you've followed the correct procedure first.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Sep 29, 2007 at 09:39am.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 10:45am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You can get away with stuff like that in your rec leagues
Not in my rec league.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 11:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And the coach is also going to be definitely right too. That's because you're making up your very own Old School rules again. You can't issue a DOG technical foul without a team warning being entered in the score book first and the head coach also being informed of such.

How are you going to justify what you're telling people to do if an interpreter/assignor/evaluator then asks you or them why there wasn't a team warning put in the score book first? You can get away with stuff like that in your rec leagues, but I sureasheck wouldn't recommend that anyone else try it in a real game.

If you're going to tell a player not to touch the ball, fine. Don't call a technical foul for repeating that act though unless you've followed the correct procedure first.
I don't think a coach is going to push the envelope that hard when he's up by 25 and the game almost over. I also don't think an assigner is going to be that upset about the technical either because it's a jv game and if he's there watching it. He probably feels the same way as I do, why are they pressing with a 25 point lead and the games about over. However, with that being said, we are both correct. You should have a DOG in the book first if you're going to call a DOG Technical. And i can give you, the coach, or anybody on the f'cking floor a warning, and if you don't heed my warning, TECHNCAL FOUL. I don't have to report it as a DOG technical! How bout unsportmanlike conduct, to name one, oh, and let's not forget, I did warn you first.

So you see, i answered the OP question but I pointed out that the DOG warning he gave did the trick. Now, how you like that? Let the fun begin.......!!!!!
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klo376

Last year I had a JVgame where the home team was still pressing with a 25pt lead. They make a basket, catch the ball out of the net steps back looks over his left shoulder, his right shoulder them places the ball at his own feet. Since this was done absolutely to gain a huge advantage by giving his team time and actually checking to see the press was set up could have I skipped the warning and given him the T? I gave them the warning and he pulled the press. I also told my partner if they even looked at the ball wrong after they scored I wanted the second DOG that would give them the T. I know I should have called DOG when he caught it but I didn't.
Why escalate to a T, when the DOG warning works? Good game management says dont make it worse than it is....

That being said if the kid does something unsportsmanlike (like throws the ball into the 20th row) it is not delay of game-and I would whack him for USC conduct....
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 02:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
Why escalate to a T, when the DOG warning works?
I gave a coach a DOG warning once. He'd been barking at me.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I think in NCAA-W you skip the warning and go with the T.
Reference, please.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I gave a coach a DOG warning once. He'd been barking at me.
What's the mechanic for that? Do you blow your DOG whistle? Single tweet? Double tweet? What if the cheerleaders start howling?
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 07:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
What's the mechanic for that? Do you blow your DOG whistle? Single tweet? Double tweet? What if the cheerleaders start howling?
You use a staccato tweet and you only use it when you stop the game because the coach is giving you a bunch of Shiht Zu.

Sorry.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 07:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Reference, please.
New rule this year 10-3.7
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 07:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
New rule this year 10-3.7
Wrong, as usual. The only part that you do have correct is that it is a new rule on the Womens side. It is now a DOG warning followed by an indirect technical foul on the second occurrence. It was a violation before.

You do NOT skip the warning. Sez so right in 10-3.7. You may have read 10-3.7; you failed to understand it though.

NCAA rule 9-5.4 now says it applies to Men only.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Sep 29, 2007 at 08:01pm.