The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:14pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

[ASA Co-Ed] No advance on IFR?

Am I missing something or is it true that in ASA Co-Ed Ball, runners can't advance on an infield fly. I couldn't believe it when I heard the umpire call that out. When asked, he replied that ASA does not allow advances on an infield fly.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 11:33pm. Reason: Corrected a typographical error
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Am I missing something or is it true that in ASA Co-Ed Ball, runners can't advance on an infield fly. I couldn't believe it when I heard the umprie call that out. When asked, he replied that ASA does not allow advances on an infield fly.
Horsecrap. Runners may advance at their own risk. If the ball is caught, runners must tag up. If the ball is not caught, runners do not need to tag up. That's ASA 8-4-L.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:49pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

NCASAUmp:

Thanks for validating what I thought was correct. I thought he was mistaken. But sometimes all one can do as a team member is just smile and go along with whatever the umpire says, even if it's the latest rule myth du jour.

Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCASAUmp:

Thanks for validating what I thought was correct. I thought he was mistaken. But sometimes all one can do as a team member is just smile and go along with whatever the umpire says, even if it's the latest rule myth du jour.
Well, you might want to check with the local league to see if they have a local rule regarding the IFF. This sounds like something a local league might institute.

Sorry, should have mentioned that before...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I love it, "even if it's the latest rule myth du jour"
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 03:45pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Hopefully it was a local league rule this umpire was following, otherwise he really kicked it worse than a dead guy could. Speaking of which, had an IF last night in a coed wreck league that fell to the ground right in front of the SS since he and the 3B were saying "I got it, no, you got it" to each other. Runners actually advanced when the ball hit the ground, and the SS threw it to 2B. No tag, safe call. Everyone looked at me like they couldn't believe the call. I said, PU already called the IF and batter's out so there's no batter-runner. Defense still couldn't believe the call. R2 now standing on 2B gleefully jumping up and down since she was FINALLY safe at 2B this late in the year, first time for her. That was the probably the highlight of the night.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 06:21pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Well, you might want to check with the local league to see if they have a local rule regarding the IFF. This sounds like something a local league might institute.

Sorry, should have mentioned that before...
It's ok.

To answer the question, our local rules do not modify the infield fly rule.

Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's ok.

To answer the question, our local rules do not modify the infield fly rule.
Then your umpire was high as a kite when he made that call.

Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Am I missing something or is it true that in ASA Co-Ed Ball, runners can't advance on an infield fly. I couldn't believe it when I heard the umprie call that out. When asked, he replied that ASA does not allow advances on an infield fly.
Not trying to be a jerk here with my reply, but I've got to ask....
Why no ASA rule book in your bag so you could check the rule question after the game?
We all get hit with stuff that comes up during games that raises questions in our minds, many times seemingly simple sitches like yours that get more muddled due to a stubborn partner, obsteniate coach, or our own brain just "locking-up" on something we know as well as our own name. Looking it uo in the book right after the game ends the answers the question, clears our mind on the rule, and locks it into your memory bank forever.
Not trying
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 06:56pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Not trying to be a jerk here with my reply, but I've got to ask....
Why no ASA rule book in your bag so you could check the rule question after the game?
We all get hit with stuff that comes up during games that raises questions in our minds, many times seemingly simple sitches like yours that get more muddled due to a stubborn partner, obsteniate coach, or our own brain just "locking-up" on something we know as well as our own name. Looking it uo in the book right after the game ends the answers the question, clears our mind on the rule, and locks it into your memory bank forever.
Not trying
If you'll read Stat-Man's OP, he was playing in this game.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
If you'll read Stat-Man's OP, he was playing in this game.
Apologies...my error.
I still encounter too many P's who never carry a book though.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:25pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
"If you'll read Stat-Man's OP, he was playing in this game."
-- Actually, I was our team's first base coach. Seeing I have not seriosuly swung a bat since 9th grade PE class, this probably the best position for me to be on offense However, I would be willing to sub into the game as a last resrot if it would be difference between the team playing shorthanded or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp
-- Last year, I was not given our team's ASA rule book. So, as I made a transition from having strictly NFHS FP experience to the recreational SP game, I had a lot of questions to ask here. Even though I am not an umpire, I believe that being rules-knowledgeable helps to make what I do easier.

I do have our team's ASA rule book packed away in my softball bag this year, but I would think having out in the bench area or with me in the first base box would not look good to the umpire. Also, it was the opposing team batting when this IFR was invoked with the statement runners cannot advance. Therefore, it was their protest to make.

I'd just as soon save the onsite rule book consultation for something serious and protest-worthy; an IFR myth with the runners not even making an attempt to advance would not be one of those situations (to me anyways).

Yes, I have fetched a rulebook or league rule handout in situations where an official wanted to see a rule change in writing (because there was a dispute over a basketball rule change last fall) or in our CYO basketball league since each level has its own rules regarding pressing and substitutions and the officials want to see what the rules for that particular level are before enforcing them. Aside from that, I try to stick to the philosphy that rule books should be kept packed away during a game. The only exception is our public middle school league, which recommends having the league-specific rules readily available for the officials.

If I have a rule issue that I need to research, I usually wait until I return home. However, I will ask questions here if I'm not 100% sure since my SP experience is limited to 25 games at the moment and someone with more SP rules experience may know something I don't or know something about the co-ed specific rules I don't.

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 11:35pm.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Be that as it may, Stat-Man, your attitude on here has made you more than welcome to ask your questions.