Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
That is not true. The realtor needs a bundle of these signs and are the only ones who would care since those colors, logos and everything else on the sign represents their business.
Yeah, but realtors only need to buy one color, logo, etc. If you want to call more than one code (NFHS, NCAA, ASA, or even other alphabets), you need a bunch of combinations.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Yeah, but realtors only need to buy one color, logo, etc. If you want to call more than one code (NFHS, NCAA, ASA, or even other alphabets), you need a bunch of combinations.
Yep, sort of the point.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
I dont know how your nfhs commish is with uniforms... but we dont wear any patches or embroiderd shirts and 90% of the ASA tournements I have worked my partners dont have ASA shirts so in that case For at least NCAA NFHS ASA and most of the time pony bc it cant make up its mind on a uniform supplier I wear plain powder and good old heather grey western top pocket pants...

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

IMO, here is how this should all break out:

An umpire is getting paid to work games of a particular sanctioning body, the umpire CAN afford to purchase their specific uniform.

Each sanctioning body should have a maximum of two combinations, period. There is little to no need for any more and even that is too many in my opinion. If the umpire feels the need for his/her wardrobe to be the center of attention, s/he needs to find a modeling agency.

One sanctioning body should not be expected to adjust their uniform to accommodate another. As noted above, if you work XYZ ball, you CAN afford to purchase XYZ's prescribed uniform.

In turn, a sanctioning body should never change any non-safety part of their uniform without providing their cadre of umpires at least a two-year notice.

As I said, it is JMHO and I am aware this is not how it works in the real world as this thread is beginning to demonstrate.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

In my area with ASA tournaments, ASA shirts are expected to be worn. Newer umpires get away with plain powder blue while they get set up and if we need 80-90 umpires you can get away with it. For the most part, you are expected to be in at least ASA shirt and hat as part of your uniform. Fech's are recommended but not overly pushed at regular tournies. For established "national level" umpires, you are expected to be in proper uniform at all times and an example.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
IMO, here is how this should all break out:

An umpire is getting paid to work games of a particular sanctioning body, the umpire CAN afford to purchase their specific uniform.

Each sanctioning body should have a maximum of two combinations, period. There is little to no need for any more and even that is too many in my opinion. If the umpire feels the need for his/her wardrobe to be the center of attention, s/he needs to find a modeling agency.

One sanctioning body should not be expected to adjust their uniform to accommodate another. As noted above, if you work XYZ ball, you CAN afford to purchase XYZ's prescribed uniform.

In turn, a sanctioning body should never change any non-safety part of their uniform without providing their cadre of umpires at least a two-year notice.

As I said, it is JMHO and I am aware this is not how it works in the real world as this thread is beginning to demonstrate.
Actually, I have no problem with this; I have several different shirts with logos, some without, and several different hats, some with logos, some without.

On the color issue, I just lament the fact that the Fech, CK, Honigs, etc., pants are still looking sharp in all aspects except for the fading of the heather gray. Fading is my only issue with heather gray. I dislike having to buy new pants only because the old ones are faded into a two-tone combination of heather gray and light brownish used to be gray.

How long does this take? Not long at all, even here in the northern latitudes. After a couple hundred games, the fading is noticeable (to me) and after a hundred more, they become bad looking and fit only for the most casual league game. I would imagine it takes even less time in TX or AZ.

The other point is CK seems to make a higher quality product overall than Fech.