The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Has Fech lost it? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53827-has-fech-lost.html)

Dakota Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:25am

Has Fech lost it?

I have both Fechheimer and Cliff Keen umpire pants. The CK pants appear to be of noticeably superior quality to the Fech's. They have a better waist band, better/stronger belt loops, and a stronger double clasp vs. the Fech's single clasp, and the fabric feels heavier.

I know Fechheimer was purchased by Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett's huge conglomerate), so I wonder if cost cutting is showing up in reduced quality?

On a somewhat related note: does anyone know if the darker / charcoal gray used by (some) baseball umpires is less prone to fading? Quality umpire pants (even the Fech's I'm complaining about) last far longer than the heather gray lasts. I hate retiring pants in otherwise good condition because they have faded so badly.

umpirebob71 Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:47pm

The quality of the Fecheimer is poor at best. I've found that the sizing is way off. I normally wear a 40 waist, and I had to order 44 for them to fit properly. And you're right, the weight of the fabric is much lighter than others. If it wasn't mandatory to wear them in ASA tournaments, I absolutely would be wearing something else.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpirebob71 (Post 612038)
The quality of the Fecheimer is poor at best. I've found that the sizing is way off. I normally wear a 40 waist, and I had to order 44 for them to fit properly. And you're right, the weight of the fabric is much lighter than others. If it wasn't mandatory to wear them in ASA tournaments, I absolutely would be wearing something else.

I've tried these and Honigs and I've not had a problem with any.

I do prefer the lighter fabric of Fechheimer's, but they could stand to loosen up the backside of the pants for more comfortable fit and movement.

UMP 64 Thu Jul 02, 2009 02:14pm

Fetch pants

:mad:I purchased 3 pairs of the heather pants 3 seasons ago. I have 4 - 5 other pairs to go with these, so it is not like they get worn every day. They are beginning to go PINK:eek:. I purchased the dark gray last year, Gerry Davis pants, and they show NO fading. The waist band is comfortable too. I like them and will continue to recommend them. I hope NFHS allows them next HS season.

Dakota Thu Jul 02, 2009 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP 64 (Post 612053)
...They are beginning to go PINK:eek:....

Yeah; they fade to a brownish/pinkish color. They don't fade where the sun don't shine (if you know what I mean :eek:), so you have two-tone pants.

No, that's NOT what I mean... I mean behind the ball bag, belt, etc. ;)

Big Slick Thu Jul 02, 2009 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 612054)
Yeah; they fade to a brownish/pinkish color. They don't fade where the sun don't shine (if you know what I mean :eek:), so you have two-tone pants.

No, that's NOT what I mean... I mean behind the ball bag, belt, etc. ;)

I had my (heather grey) Flecks for over 7 years. My plate pants are over five years old and they are my only pair. Only sight fading, but no pink hues. No fading or pinkness in my four pairs of base pants.

I believe it is more the care of the pants than any other factor. I wash my pants in only detergent, no fabric softeners, cold wash and rinse. And only air dry, none of my pants have ever been in the dryer.

BTW, I've never seen a pair of navy pants fade. :D

UMP 64 Thu Jul 02, 2009 03:00pm

fading pants

:rolleyes: I think my wife does put the pants in the dryer to get the wrinkles out, not totally dry, then hangs them by the bottoms to completely dry. This could be the problem The DAMN dryer! You think:confused:

Big Slick Thu Jul 02, 2009 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP 64 (Post 612059)
:rolleyes: I think my wife does put the pants in the dryer to get the wrinkles out, not totally dry, then hangs them by the bottoms to completely dry. This could be the problem The DAMN dryer! You think:confused:

I think the drying makes them smaller, well, that and a few trips to the concession stand for a Hess breakfast sandwich.

My point is that I don't suffer from pink-pants syndrome.

vcblue Thu Jul 02, 2009 03:55pm

grabed pants in the dark the other day (didn't want to wake the wife) for a friendly that night. The coached asked if ASA had gone pink. I told him no I was supporting breast cancer awareness.

Dakota Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 612058)
....I believe it is more the care of the pants than any other factor....

I don't buy that... how would the detergent or dryer decide not to fade the fabric that is under the belt or behind the ball bag?

Welpe Fri Jul 03, 2009 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 612142)
I don't buy that... how would the detergent or dryer decide not to fade the fabric that is under the belt or behind the ball bag?

Maybe it is a combination of things such as detergent, fabric softener, etc reacting with the sunlight that causes the dye to fade.

Dakota Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:07am

Nah... they just fade. I use a very mild detergent, wash in cold water, triple rinse in cold water. They just fade.

Besides, if the dye is all that touchy to ordinary laundry practices, it is their (the manufactuer's) fault.

I say it is the heather gray color - it just does not stand up more than a couple of years to constant exposure to the sun. Most dress slacks don't have such constant exposure to the sun as part of the expected use. Neither do most other uniforms that Fech specializes in (USPS, e.g.). Umpire uniforms are in the sun when being worn for their expected use. Either the manufacturers don't use a sun tolerant dye (too expensive?), or heather gray is a inappropriate color choice for such use.

Whatever, it fades. I was just wondering if the darker gray is more sun tolerant.

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcblue (Post 612074)
grabed pants in the dark the other day (didn't want to wake the wife) for a friendly that night. The coached asked if ASA had gone pink. I told him no I was supporting breast cancer awareness.

:) Smooth, and for a good cause! :)

first2third Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:49pm

GD pants

The darker gray Gerry Davis pants are the bomb shnizzit! No fading, way comfortable, Keep the crease like no other and look ten times sharper than the pink heathers. Wake up and let us look sharp!:eek:

CecilOne Sat Jul 04, 2009 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 612209)
Nah... they just fade. I use a very mild detergent, wash in cold water, triple rinse in cold water. They just fade.

Besides, if the dye is all that touchy to ordinary laundry practices, it is their (the manufactuer's) fault.

I say it is the heather gray color - it just does not stand up more than a couple of years to constant exposure to the sun. Most dress slacks don't have such constant exposure to the sun as part of the expected use. Neither do most other uniforms that Fech specializes in (USPS, e.g.). Umpire uniforms are in the sun when being worn for their expected use. Either the manufacturers don't use a sun tolerant dye (too expensive?), or heather gray is a inappropriate color choice for such use.

Whatever, it fades. I was just wondering if the darker gray is more sun tolerant.

Do you have dry cleaning in Minn. ? :p :D