The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

back ground on me (im 32 have been call basketball games since i was 15, five years in pee wee 3rd throught 6th, from there jv till I got bored then HSV im now calling ncaa DII games in Three leagues,) I have always had good composure on the court even when i played never let anyone know if i was mad, but the other nite I mad a complete *** of myself on the court, have any of you ever had this happen to you. First of all it is a high school V between two small towns where everyone comes to (its like duke and the tar heels) Iv had both team already this year in good games, so im looking forward to the game. So anyways. End of game time running out home team down by 3 home takes a 3 and gets fouled I calls it shooter make all three we go into over time. With 20.6 on clock home team up 1, visting team calls time out to set a play get fouled with 2.8 makes 1 free throw, home team no time out puts ball in play and looses it ball going out of bounds player save it no shot second OT, The home teams ***. coach looks at me aksed me and the boy going out of bounde to save the ball I told him that he was in play about six inches, he waved his arms at me and said "what the hell ever" I started to go over to the head coach and let he know about his ***. and what he did, he goes off on me and tells me that I need to be more prof. and go do my job, by these time i lost it Im going off on him like a dog that just peeed in the floor, my partners had to grab me and move move me out of his face I was pissed, sorry this was to long have more about the game if you would like to hear
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Wink losing it

Well,First, I love you resume, really, I pray I get to your level, that said, you had a human moment, trust me, as a correction officer, I know a lot about losing one`s temper, sometimes it the small things that can set you off. a simple gesture, a wave of the hand, etc. compiled with other crap, you "lose it", learn from it, remember what it was that irked you so much, and next time, don`t let it get under your skin.Inhale and smile.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imkcalls
back ground on me (im 32 have been call basketball games since i was 15, five years in pee wee 3rd throught 6th, from there jv till I got bored then HSV im now calling ncaa DII games in Three leagues,) I have always had good composure on the court even when i played never let anyone know if i was mad, but the other nite I mad a complete *** of myself on the court, have any of you ever had this happen to you. First of all it is a high school V between two small towns where everyone comes to (its like duke and the tar heels) Iv had both team already this year in good games, so im looking forward to the game. So anyways. End of game time running out home team down by 3 home takes a 3 and gets fouled I calls it shooter make all three we go into over time. With 20.6 on clock home team up 1, visting team calls time out to set a play get fouled with 2.8 makes 1 free throw, home team no time out puts ball in play and looses it ball going out of bounds player save it no shot second OT, The home teams ***. coach looks at me aksed me and the boy going out of bounde to save the ball I told him that he was in play about six inches, he waved his arms at me and said "what the hell ever" I started to go over to the head coach and let he know about his ***. and what he did, he goes off on me and tells me that I need to be more prof. and go do my job, by these time i lost it Im going off on him like a dog that just peeed in the floor, my partners had to grab me and move move me out of his face I was pissed, sorry this was to long have more about the game if you would like to hear
I'd say to keep working on your anger management skills and also on your writing and grammar skills.

Z
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I call ball games better then I spell zebraman
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 02:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Why don't you just put one up on a tee for him, imkcalls?

Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 03:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will only deal with the comments about the game.

You have to keep your composure at all times on that court. You cannot let your emotions get the best of you. The less you say the better. If you cannot gain control of the game by using your words, then T the coach up to get back control of the situation. In officiating we are the boss of that game. If the conduct of the players, coaches and fans get out of hand or interrupt the flow of the game, it is your choice to handle it. Coaches and officials are not equals. Coaches can threaten all they like or act like an a$$, but you are the individual that decides whether they stay or go. I have no problem with any official confronting a coach about their comments as long as you are doing it to draw a clear line in the sand. But I do not feel it is in your best interest to "lose it." That can be hard sometimes to put the kibosh on your emotions in such an emotional setting; I would just try my best to not let the coach know that he got to me.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Rich is right... that is way too easy. I'm just gonna turn and walk.

Z
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Another sitch that started with the clock stopping at 2.8 seconds.

I hope to avoid stuff like this my timer either stops at 2.7 or 2.9

BTW, I would've whacked the assistant coach he stepped over the line in my opinion. But then again, I trust your experience so maybe the T wouldn't have been the best idea.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 04:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Rich is right... that is way too easy. I'm just gonna turn and walk.
Me too. It's not really the spelling either. It's just hard to comment when you're not sure what you're reading. I'm not being smart, imkcalls, but without punctuation,sentences, capital letters, etc., your post is just too hard to try and figure out.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

One thing our association stresses is that you have to assume that every game you do is being filmed so the more professional you are on the court the more you have to back yourself up with if a coach ever complains about you to your state or association. You may get complaints over how you call or your rules knowledge, but not about your conduct or how you manage the game and deal with the coaches and the fans.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IMKCALLS, please continue to post and do not be intimidated by some of the other posts. If others do not understand what you are trying to say, then they don't have to answer you.

To my fellow officials, please give one of our own a break and try not to discourage him from asking a question. We demand respect from the coaches, yet we do not give the same to one of our own. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
IMKCALLS, please continue to post and do not be intimidated by some of the other posts. If others do not understand what you are trying to say, then they don't have to answer you.

To my fellow officials, please give one of our own a break and try not to discourage him from asking a question. We demand respect from the coaches, yet we do not give the same to one of our own. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention.
Well, using your tagline as a reference, I would expect more from him based on his professed abilities.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Come on guys.A guy comes here to bare his soul and he gets his spelling and grammar criticized. That's a flagrant T on several of you in my book! He's asking for help after a stressful and frustrating situation. IMKCALLS, keep posting.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Come on guys.A guy comes here to bare his soul and he gets his spelling and grammar criticized. That's a flagrant T on several of you in my book! He's asking for help after a stressful and frustrating situation. IMKCALLS, keep posting.
Hey, I just made a personal observation that his post was too hard for me to figure out easily. I gave up trying to. I can't try to help someone if I don't have a clue whatinthehell they're talking about. I was just pointing that out to him.

If you can understand him, feel free to help him. But don't bother trying to judge me without knowing all of the facts either. That's a flagrant T on you in my book.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
I don't think it's unfair to request posters to take their time and write something that we can understand. If you are poor at writing and spelling, take the time to get out a dictionary and throw a period in once in a while. I'm not expecting literary excellence, but there should be some minimum level we can expect.

Z