The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I've lost the passion...

Hey ya'll. As some of you know, I'm a 20 year old college student that calls ball during the summer, and a bit while at school on weekends. I also work for the intramural program at school as an official. I've been calling ball for 7 years, 3 as a member of our local association.

I got home two days ago, and called my second game tonight. Yesterday was better, I was on the bases. Today I had the plate. It was only 1:45 minutes, but it seemed like forever. A couple of times I forgot to reset my indicator, forgot to brush off the plate before an inning. My mechanics were soft as well, and I didn't feel not confident or confident. I just felt that I was there and nothing more.

I'm not sure what is really causing this, my thoughts lately have been clouded during the day and I feel my brain isn't really firing on all cylinders. The baseball diamond has always been a sort of shelter for me in my world. Now I don't really feel that way anymore.

I'm not looking forward to my game tomorrow. And I've never thought that. But what am I going to do? I am a college student who doesn't have a job this summer, and has no interest in working in retail or waiting tables. I need money, and have no other way to get enough of it. So taking a couple weeks off isn't really an option.

Even if you don't have a response, thanks for letting me vent and express my feelings.

Does anyone think this is normal, or have suggestions? Been through this before?

Thanks.

Tuss.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 07:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

I think this is common for any type of occupation at one point or another. I had this happen in High School when I was working both hardball and softball games and I went through a burn out period. Now that I've taken a few years off from calling games, I'm champing at the bit for the opportunity to do so again.

I've had the same happen with jobs that I've been working for a while and end up falling in a rut. This is one reason why companies offer vacation and time off, they know their employees need a break.

It sounds like you need to take some time off or at the very least, significantly reduce the number of games you're taking. I know you can't afford to but perhaps a change in your working environment is just the ticket. Jobs aren't just limited to retail and food service. Check your career center on campus, there should be many opportunities there for summer work. I would suggest seeking out a summer internship. I interned for a biotechnology company last summer and found the time spent to be rewarding financially, professionally and more importantly, personally.

Maybe the rest of the Spring off is just what you need.

Good luck TussAgee!
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 07:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think you might need to take a break for some time. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate as a college student. Yes this is normal to feel this way. This is why I stopped working games during the summer because I usually lose the passion (with the little that is left) during the spring. I also work two other sports so working baseball for me is not the only thing I get tired of. I would suggest just not working for a few weeks if you can or take a month off so that you can find a way to miss it. If you do not miss it, then maybe it is time to hang it up. After all this is a hobby, this is not a regular job that is going to sustain you. Or you could just cut out the levels of ball that you are not enjoying. Sometimes it is more the level or the type of games that can be a drag more than the game itself. Just review those things and you might find that you only enjoy working mostly HS, LL or a specific league.

Peace
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, this is a perfectly normal feeling at times. In your case, umpiring has become a job rather than an escape. I'm 54 years old and I feel the same way when I go to my regular job. You have to learn to tame this feeling and that takes time. Find something to look forward to during the day and work toward that. If you enjoy seeing your partner, ask him if he wants to go to grab a bite to eat after the game. This is also something to look forward to.

Just don't let it eat at you and the feeling will pass. As you said, you don't want to do anything else so this is your job this summer. Do what you get paid for and just enjoy as best you can.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

I have the same feeling from time to time. If you take time away, you can get your thoughts together because you certainly don't want that while you are on the ball field.

In 1992, I decided to make umpiring my summer job (I was in college at that time). I worked 5 nights a week for a total of 6 games(Friday's were DH). M-W-F were 11-12 years old and T-TH were 13-14. After about 3 weeks, I couldn't stand baseball anymore. Topping it off was that most of the baseball in Raleigh NC at that time was over by early July. I still had 6 weeks left before college started again. I made some extra peanuts by working for Raleigh Parks and Rec at a community center.

You'll work through this and decide if you want to keep going. I think that every umpire gets tired of seeing the same faces, hearing the same crap, and dealing with the same mess night after night at some point. It's those times when you need to evaluate if you need a break or not.

Lawrence
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Good advice, everyone. I'm 54 years old, too. For me, umpiring is a way to stay near the game and the kids. I love both. We all go through periods where everything is out of sync. Try to get more sleep & exercise, eat healthy foods, and reduce the number of games for a while. Also, make it a priority to take a crap at the same time every day. See if that helps. I'm betting that it will.

I started teaching evening math classes at a nearby community college last year. I absolutely love it. I wish I had done it years ago. I had some financial problems so I looked for ways to make a fewe extra dollars. What a blessing that turned out to be! I often go to class exhausted from my stressful job and I always leave invigorated! I should pay them!

Find something does that for you. But try to find it before you are 54 years old.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I too am a college student (done in December, thank God), so I know what you mean as far as losing the desire. My situation is a little different considering I also work a full time job at night (that's why most of my posts are at obscene times in the night), am married with a son, and still taking classes full time. Burn out is to be expected even without baseball and softball. I find looking for the positive aspects of umping is the key. For me it is a chance to get away from life for a couple of hours. It is also how I make up for missing my true love, basketball (in regards to officiating, my wife is my real true love), since it conflcts with school. The extra money also goes to my son's college fund.

It seems to me that you are attached to the money side of it, albeit understandable at your point in life. You have to make it about the kids or the game or the exercise or the fresh air. Somthing that you can't get elsewhere and that you can really appreciate (trust me, in only 24 years on this earth, I've also learned that this goes for any job or career). If you look at umpiring as a way of avoiding a "real" job then thats all it will ever be to you. It doesn't sound like its the escape that it once was for you, but rather a way of hiding from other jobs.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Hey ya'll. As some of you know, I'm a 20 year old college student that calls ball during the summer, and a bit while at school on weekends. I also work for the intramural program at school as an official. I've been calling ball for 7 years, 3 as a member of our local association.

I got home two days ago, and called my second game tonight. Yesterday was better, I was on the bases. Today I had the plate. It was only 1:45 minutes, but it seemed like forever. A couple of times I forgot to reset my indicator, forgot to brush off the plate before an inning. My mechanics were soft as well, and I didn't feel not confident or confident. I just felt that I was there and nothing more.

I'm not sure what is really causing this, my thoughts lately have been clouded during the day and I feel my brain isn't really firing on all cylinders. The baseball diamond has always been a sort of shelter for me in my world. Now I don't really feel that way anymore.

I'm not looking forward to my game tomorrow. And I've never thought that. But what am I going to do? I am a college student who doesn't have a job this summer, and has no interest in working in retail or waiting tables. I need money, and have no other way to get enough of it. So taking a couple weeks off isn't really an option.

Even if you don't have a response, thanks for letting me vent and express my feelings.

Does anyone think this is normal, or have suggestions? Been through this before?

Thanks.

Tuss.
I recently took a month off - family things going on - during our high school season.

I thought I'd never miss it, but found out that when I started back it was so much more fun than before.

I guess you don't think about how it affects you until you get away for a while.

thanks
David
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Tuss.
I here you

Do not know about your area but in my area the lack of quality baseball has simply gone down hill the last 5 - 6 years. The metal bat has ruined the game. yes every now and then you will still get a gem of a game when each team has their ace pitching. Generally speaking games last longer when the participants use metal as opposed to wood.

Also, it seems there is a "mess" to clean up every night and that gets taxing. We all have jobs or in your case go to school and the last thing we need is to go straight from our jobs (classroom) onto the playing field and deal with idiots. The coaches think they are Joe Torre or Lou Pinella and we are playing game 7 of the World series. People need to chill out.

Finally, I could retire if i received a dime every time the coach said "Check with your partner" which has become a "spring board' today with the overhyped get the call right which is another thread all by it's lonesome.

Here's my suggestion:

You said you need the money and there is nothing wrong in umpiring because you need money. Therefore, simply change your mind set. In a way I sometimes evny the 'Smitty's " of the world. This type of umpire doesn't have a care in the world. They couldn't giive a rat's a** about ratings etc. They simply show up, do a game, get paid and go home. If the particpants didn't like the performace too bad. They will still get work.

Also, we do not have to take the bul***t that major league baseball umpires do, meaning it's time to put an end to the nonsense. Once coaches know that you are not going to take it, your games will become a little better.

The other thing you can do (as long as you even it up down the road) is simply take base assignments while your mind is in the state it is. Once it passes then you can back on the dish and "even things" out.

My ultimate recommendation would be to work in construction (which I did when I went to school) if there is any work around.

Pete Booth
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 12:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
You said you need the money and there is nothing wrong in umpiring because you need money. Therefore, simply change your mind set. In a way I sometimes evny the 'Smitty's " of the world. This type of umpire doesn't have a care in the world. They couldn't giive a rat's a** about ratings etc. They simply show up, do a game, get paid and go home. If the particpants didn't like the performace too bad. They will still get work.
Not sure why you have to be a "smitty" to have this point of view? Most of us cannot control the ratings we get and I know I do not spend my time worrying about those types of things. If you are good, you are good and the average umpire will get noticed if you are doing the right things. Also who cares what people think about your performance when the people that have that opinion are not trained to give a competent opinion in the first place?

Peace
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
Hey ya'll. clipped..........................

Thanks.

Tuss.
Absolutely normal. Been there recently. I don't know how this was but I was dreading a specific game I was scheduled to do. After seeking advice from a close friend, I called another Umpire for that game. Immediately I felt better. Then after the game was over, I get a call from the replacement Umpire. He had to toss a player for repeated F-bombs. That player left the field and after his father confronted him outside of the fence, belted him in the face. Backhand fist. The players sister jumped on her father and he grabbed her by the throat. A number of fans jumped on the father at this point to get him off the girl and he eventually was subdued. There were red finger imprints on her throat when the ambulance came for her. The father was arrested. Six cruisers came for him.

I said before that I do not know how or why I came to have that feeling of dread for this particular game however: I do not question my instincts or feelings. Trust yours. Something's telling you to take a break, so take a break. Maybe just a short one but take a break.

Best of Luck!
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

If you have lost the passion go and read the thread about the Everyone one was excited. That should help you remember what the game is about

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
You are not alone, Tuss.

Sometimes games, even ones that pass quickly, have no rhythm to them--they are lifeless. This adds to an umpire's ennui.

What used to dishearten me was doing local games, with coaches whom I had known for years, who would periodically play the rat and just bust balls without any serious arguments or EJs.

Do whatever you feel you need to put things right. One thing I do is pretend that the game I am doing is being televised, and I make every effort to buff up minutiae about my work. Stuff like keeping my hat on when I remove my mask, not lifting an idicator up to eye level, etc.

This will be my last season, BTW. 30 is a nice round number.

You're a very good official, and there's no reason why you can't become a great one. It's a wonderful game, and I'm betting that the passion will come back.

ace
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

This is my sixth year as an umpire, and while I'm not as gung ho about doing games, I still really enjoy having the priviledge of umpiring. I never find myself getting bored doing plate games, as it is a position of responsibility and I am always in the action. It's those base games where they take forever between innings and the game moves really slowly that can get kind of boring.

I still don't think there's anything wrong with umpiring just for the money, and not for the sake of enjoyment, so long as you do your best anyways and remember you are still responsible for calling the best game possible. Maybe it would be good to try doing fewer games. I do about 4 a week right now, which is about the right number to keep me entertained.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Tuss, maybe it's time to raise the bar a bit and find more competitive leagues.