Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Do you have dry cleaning in Minn. ?
Depends on how close the rock is to the creek
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, like I'm going to run to the dry cleaner every time my uniform needs laundering... If heather gray requires dry cleaning to not fade, yet another reason to change color.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

It seems like something "fading" (ie: getting lighter in shade) would be completely different than "changing colors" (ie: going from grey to pink).

I wonder....

How many of you work high school ball, where the required shirt is navy blue with a RED t-shirt? How many times have you thrown all your umpire clothes in the wash together, heather grey pants along with red t-shirts?

Might this explain why some folks report no problem with pink pants? Perhaps they do not routinely mix the colors together.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

None of my umpire unis are red; My Honig's plate pants faded to an almost brownish color, not actually, literally pink. My Fech's are fading to a more graceful light gray, but whatever, they no longer look the best, and in another year or so will likely tend toward the brownish color, too.

The effect of sun (UV?) on dye is not a pure lightening effect, but frequently has a yellowing effect.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
BretMan, even if your theory had some validity to it, that wouldn't explain why the area where your belt covers stays normal color, unless you wash your pants with your belt still in place. Dave
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

How long are we expecting these pants to last/ not fade ?
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I am repeating my objection to endlessly buying stuff just for a different color or design. I have 2 or 3 times as many uniform pieces than I need, and I strongly object, probably refuse, to buy more. This "shades of gray" stuff, logos on everything, stripes on jacket shoulders, worrying about fashionable color combos, etc. is a major waste of time and money; to the benefit of no one except the manufacturers.

There is no game that can not be umpired in a universal color choice of cap, shirt and pants color; with no logos or patches.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
It seems like something "fading" (ie: getting lighter in shade) would be completely different than "changing colors" (ie: going from grey to pink).

I wonder....

How many of you work high school ball, where the required shirt is navy blue with a RED t-shirt? How many times have you thrown all your umpire clothes in the wash together, heather grey pants along with red t-shirts?

Might this explain why some folks report no problem with pink pants? Perhaps they do not routinely mix the colors together.
Why would you wear a red t-shirt with a navy blue uni shirt? (Must be a baseball thing.) Whenever we wear navy blue unis, we are supposed to wear a navy blue undershirt.

I never wash the shirts with the pants when I was my unis. Don't want the micromesh getting picked by the sewn in shirt grabber thingy or the metal that is on the pants.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am repeating my objection to endlessly buying stuff just for a different color or design. I have 2 or 3 times as many uniform pieces than I need, and I strongly object, probably refuse, to buy more. This "shades of gray" stuff, logos on everything, stripes on jacket shoulders, worrying about fashionable color combos, etc. is a major waste of time and money; to the benefit of no one except the manufacturers.

There is no game that can not be umpired in a universal color choice of cap, shirt and pants color; with no logos or patches.
So all "For Sale" signs should be of one standard set of colors and scheme and not include the name, logo or slogan of the company contracted to sell the property, right?
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But my wife says I look "hot" in my Sansabelt slacks and Cliff Keen stripes. I get a good pump going from the gym, show up and use elastic bands during pre-game. By the time we're tipping my guns are a blazing and I know I look good because of my Cliff Keen stripes and Sansabelt pants.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Why would you wear a red t-shirt with a navy blue uni shirt?
Because it is the required undergarment color of my state high school association. Other than that, I can't think of any good reason!

I realize this will vary from state-to-state, or from one association to the other. But I presented this as possible theory of why a lighter colored fabric might take on a "pinkish" tint.

By the way, you're talking to a guy that just got done sewing all new light blue buttons on two different shirts where the original buttons turned that hideous pink/purple color.

Another experiment I might attempt is to try dying a faded pair of heather grey pants, either to restore the heather color or to match the new darker shade or grey. I definitely will be using an old pair of pants I don't wear anymore as my "guinea pig"!
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
...Another experiment I might attempt is to try dying a faded pair of heather grey pants, either to restore the heather color or to match the new darker shade or grey. I definitely will be using an old pair of pants I don't wear anymore as my "guinea pig"!
Let me know if that works to a passable approximation of official heather gray. If you can make this work, I might try it, too. My Fech's still look good, except for the color.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So all "For Sale" signs should be of one standard set of colors and scheme and not include the name, logo or slogan of the company contracted to sell the property, right?
For sale signs don't cost over $50 a pop, nor do you typically need more than one.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
For sale signs don't cost over $50 a pop, nor do you typically need more than one.
That is not true. The realtor needs a bundle of these signs and are the only ones who would care since those colors, logos and everything else on the sign represents their business.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

the fech pants are way better for color and lasting no matter how many times you wash they dont fade nearly as much as other brands. I have worn honigs, dalco, cliff keen, sansabelt, gerry davis, and fecheimer and the color and wear on the fecheimer pants is far superior to these brands. The sizing does blow but other than that ... I love those pants.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA