The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:10am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

[ASA Co-Ed] Dead Ball Territory Question

From our SP game tonight.

We're batting, BR gets a hit and is advancing on a thow that goes stray and is tracked down by F1. Part of F1's foot enters our dugout.

Although I don't think it would have made a difference on the play, what is the rule for a ball entering dead ball territory? How much of a fielder's person has to be in DBT for a dead ball to be called with any appropriate awards?

###

In other news, I witnessed a rare double put out at the plate. We had two runners right behind each other running to the plate. F1 cuts off a rare perfect relay and then tags both runners out. Pretty impressive play, though.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
From our SP game tonight.

We're batting, BR gets a hit and is advancing on a thow that goes stray and is tracked down by F1. Part of F1's foot enters our dugout.

Although I don't think it would have made a difference on the play, what is the rule for a ball entering dead ball territory? How much of a fielder's person has to be in DBT for a dead ball to be called with any appropriate awards?
Well, if the BR hit the ball you have a problem The batter on the other hand is allowed.

To your question. As long as part of the foot is on the line, painted, chalked or imagenary, the player is still considered in the field of play. For the fielder to be considered to have entered DBT, the entire part of the body (foot, hand, arm, head, whatever) that is touching the ground must be completely outside of the aforementioned line.

Quote:

In other news, I witnessed a rare double put out at the plate. We had two runners right behind each other running to the plate. F1 cuts off a rare perfect relay and then tags both runners out. Pretty impressive play, though.
Even more so if you would let the girls play.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 11:12pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, if the BR hit the ball you have a problem The batter on the other hand is allowed.

To your question. As long as part of the foot is on the line, painted, chalked or imagenary, the player is still considered in the field of play. For the fielder to be considered to have entered DBT, the entire part of the body (foot, hand, arm, head, whatever) that is touching the ground must be completely outside of the aforementioned line.

{...snip...}

Even more so if you would let the girls play.
IrishMafia:

Thanks for the rule clarification.

To address your comment, our city league has a local rule that states any fielder may cover home plate.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Jun 10, 2009 at 11:14pm.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
IrishMafia:

Thanks for the rule clarification.

To address your comment, our city league has a local rule that states any fielder may cover home plate.
Didn't say anything about it being legal or not.

There are a lot of umpires who just outright refuse to work co-rec ball for two reasons:

1. Changing the ball. International play uses the 12" ball ONLY. To the best of my knowledge, most places simply use a 12" ball ONLY for this game.

2. The men not allowing the women to play their positions. Too many dicks "showing off" for their girlfriends/wives.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 07:14am.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Didn't say anything about it being legal or not.

There are a lot of umpires who just outright refuse to work co-rec ball for two reasons:

1. Changing the ball. International play uses the 12" ball ONLY. To the best of my knowledge, most places simply use a 12" ball ONLY for this game.

2. The men not allowing the women to play their positions. Too many dicks "showing off" for their girlfriends/wives.
Well, around here, we have a lot of women who simply can't play.

Then again, there are a lot of MEN around here who can't play, either, but they seem to think they can!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Well, around here, we have a lot of women who simply can't play.

Then again, there are a lot of MEN around here who can't play, either, but they seem to think they can!
Which is why folks (other than ASA) refer to it as co-RECREATIONAL softball.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which is why folks (other than ASA) refer to it as co-RECREATIONAL softball.
And that's why I call it "co-wreck."

"Let's all wreck together!"

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I heard of a new one last night, a local co ed league has a 5' "hog rule" thus the men cant come within 5' of a women fielding the ball or its an auto. hit.
Old Thu Jun 11, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
I heard of a new one last night, a local co ed league has a 5' "hog rule" thus the men cant come within 5' of a women fielding the ball or its an auto. hit.
So, if the female player makes the OUT, but a male was too close, the OUT becomes a SAFE?

Interesting. I wonder how many arguments there are over whether or not the 5' bubble was encroached upon ...
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
So, if the female player makes the OUT, but a male was too close, the OUT becomes a SAFE?

Interesting. I wonder how many arguments there are over whether or not the 5' bubble was encroached upon ...
I like the hog rule. Brings a smile to my face.

I'm picturing all the strange and bizarro conversations I'll have on that one.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
would that be a dead ball auto hit or DDB auto hit ?
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I wasnt umping in that league, I was playing in a different coed league and we were giving a guy sh*t bc he cut in front of a girl to make a play and a player on the other team mentioned a league he also plays in has this "hog rule" that was about the extent of the conversation.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:32pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Maybe more from the idiots who still think college football still has that 2 yard halo on the punt returner (and the even more idiotic idiots who thought it was a high school rule too!).
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Maybe more from the idiots who still think college football still has that 2 yard halo on the punt returner
Yet, saw it called at the NCAA Div I level twice last year! But they're NCAA officials, so that cannot be right even though that is what the official announced after walking off the yardage.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 02:09pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Yet, saw it called at the NCAA Div I level twice last year! But they're NCAA officials, so that cannot be right even though that is what the official announced after walking off the yardage.
Ouch