The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Look back rule

Opinions from you guys...

R1 on third. B2 walks and sprints to first and continues to second immediately. F1 gets ball back from F2 and turns and looks at BR. F1 has ball in throwing hand but it is at her side. F1 stares at BR as she runs. During this time, R1 is standing off third frozen. She has been since B2 became BR. When do you call R1 out?

DC wanted R1 out on LBR.

I know the rule states "LBR is in effect when BR reaches first and any runner not on base at that moment must immediately decide to return or advance." So I know at some point you can and should call her out if she remains stationary, but when? Or do you?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Sat Jun 06, 2009 at 05:45pm.
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post

R1 on third. B2 walks and sprints to first and continues to second immediately. F2 gets ball back from F1 and turns and looks at BR. F1 has ball in throwing hand but it is at her side.
C'mon, who has the ball, F1 or F2?

Quote:
F1 stares at BR as she runs. During this time, R1 is standing off third frozen. She has been since B2 became BR. When do you call R1 out?

DC wanted R1 out on LBR.

I know the rule states "LBR is in effect when BR reaches first and any runner not on base at that moment must immediately decide to return or advance." So I know at some point you will call her out if she remains stationary, but when?
Asking me for my opinion on the LBR is like..... well, never mind.

Once BR rounds 1B without F1 making a play, if R1 is indeed standing still, she is going to be out when I see she isn't going anywhere.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post

R1 on third. B2 walks and sprints to first and continues to second immediately. F1 gets ball back from F2 and turns and looks at BR. F1 has ball in throwing hand but it is at her side. F1 stares at BR as she runs. During this time, R1 is standing off third frozen. She has been since B2 became BR. When do you call R1 out?

DC wanted R1 out on LBR.

I know the rule states "LBR is in effect when BR reaches first and any runner not on base at that moment must immediately decide to return or advance." So I know at some point you can and should call her out if she remains stationary, but when? Or do you?
R1 is out 1.3-mississippi('s) after B2 reaches 1st base....
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Once BR rounds 1B without F1 making a play, if R1 is indeed standing still, she is going to be out when I see she isn't going anywhere.

Had this situation in a "friendlies" tournament this weekend w/ a 14U team. With a runner on 3B, batter took a walk and aggressively rounded first base and stood there. I gave her probably a 2-count longer than I normally would have and called her out.

When that team's offense came back up to bat, the coach approached me on his way to 3B coaches' box. Said he had some new players this year and a new first base coach and he was glad I called the runner out as a teaching moment. After I had called her out originally, I heard him yelling over to 1B direction about her not being able to "just stand there".

Explain it to them all you want, but once a call is made [one way or the other] their memories seem to retain it better.

Ted
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

"Explain it to them all you want, but once a call is made [one way or the other] their memories seem to retain it better."

And that's why I don't "warn" teams/players about a violation (unless it's a scrimmage) - call it & it gets fixed.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I was third base umpire in a four man crew in a Regional Semifinal playoff game (HS) and had same call. At the time score was 0-0. Was not on a walk but everything else fits the situation. Called the LBR on runner at third. Coach went nuts. I knew I had it but to calm him down I did go to 2nd base umpire to see if they had F1 in a throwing position. HP and second base umpire actually tried to talk me out of it. HP said it was not the pitcher who had the ball (which was 100 percent wrong) and 2B umpire tried to tell me R2 was not to 2B yet. Which had no bearing. So I obviously stuck with it and took the heat believe it or not from two of my partners and also the team it affected. I think the only person who backed me on it was head of my Assoc who was in the stands.

We were a split crew so you fill in the blanks on where 2B and HP U's were from.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev1967 View Post
I was third base umpire in a four man crew in a Regional Semifinal playoff game (HS) and had same call. At the time score was 0-0. Was not on a walk but everything else fits the situation. Called the LBR on runner at third. Coach went nuts. I knew I had it but to calm him down I did go to 2nd base umpire to see if they had F1 in a throwing position. HP and second base umpire actually tried to talk me out of it. HP said it was not the pitcher who had the ball (which was 100 percent wrong) and 2B umpire tried to tell me R2 was not to 2B yet. Which had no bearing. So I obviously stuck with it and took the heat believe it or not from two of my partners and also the team it affected. I think the only person who backed me on it was head of my Assoc who was in the stands.

We were a split crew so you fill in the blanks on where 2B and HP U's were from.
Good for you? I'm beginning to wonder if most criticism of umpires is the result of being too good.

You get 4 umps for a HS regional semi?

Unlike 3 umps, 4 ump crews mean there can be a tie if you all discuss a call. But I guess that's ok because ties go to the runner.

Does split crew mean you couldn't agree? I know, two associations.

How did PU get into a U2-U3 appeasement?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev1967 View Post
and 2B umpire tried to tell me R2 was not to 2B yet. Which had no bearing.
Huh? Don't think I would go to this guy for an interp in the future

Quote:
I think the only person who backed me on it was head of my Assoc who was in the stands.
Man, your whole association was in the stands?! Nothing like a little pressure.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Cecil- We are taught if two get together-- all get together.

Irish- Head of our Assoc= President of our Assoc. One person.