The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Question

I haven't done much softball this season but yesterday I "Got" opportunity to enforce the look-back rule (FED 8-7-3). Of course the coach got very excited because I called his player out. Then I acted a little unsure that I had done the right thing and my partner was of no value to calm the situation... causing more confusion.

Somebody refresh my memory of purpose and function of this rule.

Here was the situation: runner on third (R3), Batter-runner receives ball 4, ball is returned to pitcher in the circle, BR rounds first and goes about 6 strides towards 2nd, pitcher is watching BR with ball in glove, BR stops very momentarily and makes a single hard step back towards 1st, BR changes direction and now heads for 2nd, pitcher raises ball in throwing hand looking to 2nd as I yell dead ball and BR is out, send R3 back to 3rd.

Coach now screams that they have been working on this play for 2 days and that the BR is not out if the pitcher is making a play on the BR. I contended that the BR is not allowed to go back and forth and attempt to draw a play out of the pitcher. BR may stop but must immediately choose 1st or 2nd and proceed without further stopping or direction changes.

I think I got it right but somebody reinforce my belief or educate me to the correct ruling. My partner was of no help which caused greater confusion and anguish in the coaches - I don't think he would have made the call and didn't like me making it.

The team contesting my call, by the way, went on to win by 10 run rule in the 6th (12-2).
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

From your description, the "hard step" back toward first then the change of direction happened before the pitcher raised the ball to make a play.

The play is dead and the runner is out the instant she changed direction. Sounds like a good call to me.

Just a side note, the runner on third was subject to the look back rule when the BR hits first base. If there is a two or three (wo)man crew working, make sure that someone is watching R1.
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

You got it exactly right. Once R2 made that little step back toward 1B, she was committed to 1B unless the pitcher made a play.

As I understand your description, the pitcher did not make the play until R2 changed direction again and moved toward 2B. As soon as she changed direction again, DEAD BALL - RUNNER OUT. What the pitcher does during the dead ball is of no consequence. Return R1 to 3B.
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

It all depends on when the "Fake" Throw was made. If the runner stoped, took the step toward first, broke for 2nd then the fake throw...You have an out(Speaking NCAA..I don't have a Fed or ASA rule book on my desk..although I'm pretty sure they all agree).

If the fake throw was made at any other time, then all bets are off and the runner can advance.

Old Wed May 14, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all.

The pitcher's actions were not a feint. I believe she was preparing to make a throw to 2nd as the BR advanced.

In the FED rule 8-7-3a it says: Responsibilities of the BR after completing a turn at bat, and while the pitcher has the ball within the 16-foot pitching circle, including a base on balls... are:
a. a BR who rounds first base toward second base may stop, but then must immediately return to first or attempt to advance non-stop to second base;
EXCEPTION: The runner will not be declared out if a play is made on another runner, (a fake throw is considered a play), the pitcher no longer has possession of the ball within the 16-foot circle, ....

So where is the rule/instruction about making a feint toward the batter runner (that I seem to recall - perhaps ASA)? The FED exception specifically states "another," as in different (like R3), runner. Does this mean the pitcher COULD make a feint at the BR and the out still called? For some reason my gut feeling is,(and given your answers), that No, F1 cannot make a feint at the BR. But I don't see it supported in the FED rules.

Perhaps my memory is that F1 does not need to make any feint or attempt at a play if the BR is standing, doing a little face-off thing with the pitcher and not making a movement towards either base. Umpire should declare an out.

I appreciate your help.
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Don't make too much of the word "another" - that includes the BR (now R2).

Quote:
The pitcher's actions were not a feint. I believe she was preparing to make a throw to 2nd as the BR advanced.
Makes no difference because of what I've underlined (assuming I am understanding you correctly.

The pitcher merely watching the BR round 1st is not a play. A play by the pitcher is defined by ASA in POE 33 as "any act by the pitcher ... that, in the umpire's judgment , causes the runner to react... The POE's in the NFHS book are, to put it mildly, not extensive. So, since the lookback rule is virtually the same between the two organizations, I would have no problem using the ASA POE here.

A play by the pitcher under the lookback rule is not a reaction to the runner; it is the runner reacting to the pitcher. What I mean to say is that the runner cannot "release herself" by making an illegal move to cause the pitcher to react.

Change the scenario just a bit. BR rounds 1B, goes a few steps and stops, and starts to retreat to 1B slowly. Pitcher, who has been watching the BR (now R2), raises her arm in a fake throw, or in preparation to throw. This releases the runner, who may now try to advance to 2B. This also releases R1, who can try to advance home.

In your scenario, however, the runner stopped, retreated (by just a step, but retreated nonetheless), changed direction again toward 2B, drawing the "play" from the pitcher. This is what the lookback rule is designed to prevent - monkey business on the base path to try to draw a throw from the pitcher. The coach even admitted (or nearly admitted) that was what he was trying to do.

Good call.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I agree with all above, even in Idaho "BR stops very momentarily and makes a single hard step back towards 1st, BR changes direction and now heads for 2nd" is an out.
Sorry you haven't had much joy of softball this year!