The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

crow hop illegal pitch

I had one of those scrimmage games yesterday where two teams were playing mostly to work on their game and they didn't really bother keeping score. Anyways, towards the end of the game, one of the pitchers was crow-hopping continuously and I could tell her pitch velocity was hurting b/c of it and also her control was really wild b/c she wasn't getting the good push off due to the hop...

I talked to her coach a bit about it and since it was a scrimmage game and given that we'd call the game on time in about a few minutes, I told him I wasn't going to bother calling it since the pitcher is really only punishing herself and it'd drag the game on unnecessarily too...but i did tell him that he may run into umpires who are more strict about that rule.

the coach responded that umpires have told him that no one really calls the crow hop unless they really have to, kinda like the base coach being out of the box call...

what's y'alls take on the crow hop? yeah, it's technically an illegal pitch but what advantage is the pitcher gaining? the hop IMO is terrible for their control and also kills their velocity. yeah sure they gain a few inches on the batter but in the grand scheme of things, it looks more like Advantage Batter. do any of y'all call it?

and if a pitcher has uncorked like 3-4 wild pitches/passed balls in a short time span, i like to tell the catcher quietly to go visit with her pitcher to give them a chance to get their communication straight and hopefully get the pitcher a chance to settle down and throw strikes or at least so the catcher doesn't miss a pitch that ends up hitting me...keep in mind i do mostly lower levels of PONY and in these developmental leagues, it's more important for the kids to develop their softball skills...
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a crow hop in the female game. I've often seen the pitcher move the pivot foot forward from the pitcher's plate and then go into the windup & delivery. The effect is the same. I'll call it when I see it.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I had one of those scrimmage games yesterday where two teams were playing mostly to work on their game and they didn't really bother keeping score. Anyways, towards the end of the game, one of the pitchers was crow-hopping continuously and I could tell her pitch velocity was hurting b/c of it and also her control was really wild b/c she wasn't getting the good push off due to the hop...

I talked to her coach a bit about it and since it was a scrimmage game and given that we'd call the game on time in about a few minutes, I told him I wasn't going to bother calling it since the pitcher is really only punishing herself and it'd drag the game on unnecessarily too...but i did tell him that he may run into umpires who are more strict about that rule.

the coach responded that umpires have told him that no one really calls the crow hop unless they really have to, kinda like the base coach being out of the box call...

what's y'alls take on the crow hop? yeah, it's technically an illegal pitch but what advantage is the pitcher gaining? the hop IMO is terrible for their control and also kills their velocity. yeah sure they gain a few inches on the batter but in the grand scheme of things, it looks more like Advantage Batter. do any of y'all call it?

and if a pitcher has uncorked like 3-4 wild pitches/passed balls in a short time span, i like to tell the catcher quietly to go visit with her pitcher to give them a chance to get their communication straight and hopefully get the pitcher a chance to settle down and throw strikes or at least so the catcher doesn't miss a pitch that ends up hitting me...keep in mind i do mostly lower levels of PONY and in these developmental leagues, it's more important for the kids to develop their softball skills...

Are you really asking if we should call the IP or not? Of course. Whenever you see it you should call it.

Now, are you sure you are seeing a "crow-hop?" Or is it just a leap? Somewhere out there, I believe on the NFHS site, there are videos that show the difference. Either way, if it is an illegal action, then call it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I'm not sure that I've ever seen a crow hop in the female game. I've often seen the pitcher move the pivot foot forward from the pitcher's plate and then go into the windup & delivery. The effect is the same. I'll call it when I see it.
At a showcase (IE drop dead time limit, no lineups, free subs etc) a few weeks ago I saw a male fp quality crow hop from an 18U (or G) pitcher. Was a darn fine crow hop. I didnt call it but I certainly told the coaches when the tournies start it will be being called. No one could miss it. Very unusual in JO to see such an awesome crow hop. I'm suprised the runners didnt want to leave on the crow hop like in Mens FP.

In showcases, rec leagues, and other teaching venues I may go over it with a coach or I might call it depending on whats going on - in tournaments I call IPs. Period. I have banged IPs until they pulled a pitcher. When it is illegal, it needs to be called. I pay super close attention early so I can catch them early but I pretty much watch every pitch.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

award bases

almost hate to post this...but dont have books in front of me...want to review when do the runners get awarded bases on IP...IP is a delayed call that the OT gets to decided what call to take...but if its an IP before she goes into her pitching motion vs after wind up has started...ie a leap...what does case book say?
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale View Post
almost hate to post this...but dont have books in front of me...want to review when do the runners get awarded bases on IP...IP is a delayed call that the OT gets to decided what call to take...but if its an IP before she goes into her pitching motion vs after wind up has started...ie a leap...what does case book say?
For NFHS, see the penalty described at the end of rule 6.1 (the end of the action if the pitch is thrown). The offense sometimes gets a choice; see 6.2.3 Exception (if the ball is hit fair or foul or the batter becomes a runner). If it's an IP before she starts her delivery, like coming onto the plate with the hands together, just call it and kill it immediately. 6.2.3 Note says it may be a delayed dead ball depending on the infraction, like a leap, but it should be called as soon as it becomes an IP. If it becomes illegal before the pitching motion starts, call it then.