The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Rules Question

I'm a little confused about what would happen in this situation. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

The bases are loaded with one out. Batter hits a dribbler back to the pitcher. Pitcher picks it up and throws to home for the force out (and out #2 in the inning). The catcher then throws it to first where the base umpire signals out (#3) immediately before the player that started on second crossed home plate. An appeal is made because the first baseman pulled her foot and the homeplate umpire overturns the third out. The umpire forces the girl (who started on second base) that was approximately 2 steps away from scoring back on third base. Is this correct?

I think the rules require that the girl starting on second would have had to already touch home plate before the third out was called but I don't know where it states that in any rules. Thanks for any help.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnso8 View Post
I'm a little confused about what would happen in this situation. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

The bases are loaded with one out. Batter hits a dribbler back to the pitcher. Pitcher picks it up and throws to home for the force out (and out #2 in the inning). The catcher then throws it to first where the base umpire signals out (#3) immediately before the player that started on second crossed home plate.
Since the batter is put out before reaching 1B, the run does not score. The time at which a runner touches the plate, which you mention below, is not a factor in whether a run scores in the play you describe.

Quote:
An appeal is made because the first baseman pulled her foot and the homeplate umpire overturns the third out. The umpire forces the girl (who started on second base) that was approximately 2 steps away from scoring back on third base. Is this correct?
It doesn't sound like it to me. You could use the rule some codes have about a reversed decision putting a player in jeopardy to be put out, but a safe call here actually allows the runner to score, which she did. Maybe the umpire thought he had to kill the play before helping on the pulled foot, but I don't think that's necessary either. I think other umpires here will have some more to say about this.
Quote:
I think the rules require that the girl starting on second would have had to already touch home plate before the third out was called but I don't know where it states that in any rules. Thanks for any help.
Like I said, and different rule sets say this in a slightly different ways, the run does not score when the third out is on the batter before reaching 1B or when a runner is forced out. It's only when the third out is neither of these things that the time the runner touched the plate matters.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The bases are loaded with one out. Batter hits a dribbler back to the pitcher. Pitcher picks it up and throws to home for the force out (and out #2 in the inning). The catcher then throws it to first where the base umpire signals out (#3) immediately before the player that started on second crossed home plate. An appeal is made because the first baseman pulled her foot and the homeplate umpire overturns the third out. The umpire forces the girl (who started on second base) that was approximately 2 steps away from scoring back on third base. Is this correct?

I smell a rat!!!!! You have to be overly exaggerating on how close R2 was to home plate. If she can get 119 feet in the amount of time it took the pitcher to throw the ball to C and C to 1B she had to have left early and the umpires missed it! I mean come on, there's no way she got that far, I would say touched 3B at best.

Sounds like someones little girl wasn't allowed to score and someone is upset!!

Last edited by Dholloway1962; Mon May 18, 2009 at 10:57pm.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
I smell a rat!!!!! You have to be overly exaggerating on how close R2 was to home plate. If she can get 119 feet in the amount of time it took the pitcher to throw the ball to C and C to 1B she had to have left early and the umpires missed it! I mean come on, there's no way she got that far, I would say touched 3B at best.

Sounds like someones little girl wasn't allowed to score and someone is upset!!
Well, let's hold back the judgment for now and just see where this goes from here...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm opening the troll booth just in case...
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
I'm opening the troll booth just in case...
how much is the troll toll? (cant be very much... due to the increase in traffic lately)
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sounds like it was a live ball appeal.... but you left out so much detail I cant tell. IF it was the run should have been allowed to score.
And there is no rule that if the runner had crossed home plate and the force was made at first that it counts... its quite the opposite.
We call em timing plays.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Thats pretty much some horrible officiating IMO.

I doubt this is a troll... we just gotta accept that some of our brethren are just this bad.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Thats pretty much some horrible officiating IMO.

I doubt this is a troll... we just gotta accept that some of our brethren are just this bad.
I will accept it. reluctantly but still.....
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

It is a legitimate sitch. Mr Jones, you are the batter, and from your previous descriptions of your physique, your home to first time is north of 4 seconds. Watley is on second. From the time BU sees the ball beat the foot and winds up for his out sell, a minimum of 1 1/2 seconds go by.

By this time Watley has made it to within 2 feet of home.

If BU initial ruling is safe, the run scores.

But BU rules out, and later reverses himself with the pulled foot info from PU.

So here is my question, is the run counting a judgment on the part of PU, i.e. he determines there was no way defense would have gotten the ball home in time, even with an original safe call.

Or, the fact that Watley hadn't crossed the plate by the time the batter/runner's foot touches first means by rule she must go back?
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer View Post
It is a legitimate sitch. Mr Jones, you are the batter, and from your previous descriptions of your physique, your home to first time is north of 4 seconds. Watley is on second. From the time BU sees the ball beat the foot and winds up for his out sell, a minimum of 1 1/2 seconds go by.

So here is my question, is the run counting a judgment on the part of PU, i.e. he determines there was no way defense would have gotten the ball home in time, even with an original safe call.

Or, the fact that Watley hadn't crossed the plate by the time the batter/runner's foot touches first means by rule she must go back?
by what rule? "must she go back" not in my rulebook it doesn't. but then again I never read the damn things anyways. I just let the coaches tell me what the rules are.
I use my judgment all the time tho. (no wonder I stay in trouble)
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer View Post

Again, this is where ASA 10-3-C comes into play...

Quote:
The plate umpire may rectify any situation in which the reversal of an umpire’s decision or a delayed call by an umpire places a batter-runner, a runner or the defensive team in jeopardy. This correction is not possible after one pitch legal or illegal or after the pitcher and all infielders have clearly vacated their normal fielding positions and have left fair territory on their way to the bench or dugout area, or after the last play of the game, the umpires have left the field of play.
In this case, the BU's call was the one that was reversed. As a result, this placed R2 in jeopardy, as she was still running the bases at the time of the "third out." That being the case, it's completely left up to the judgment of the PU to decide where the runners should be placed.

There were some who believed that if a runner was "more than halfway" to the next base, they should get that base. However, that's no longer the case. In this sitch, in my judgment, if the defense had no chance in hell in making a play on R2 going home, I'm awarding home. On the other hand, if, in my judgment as the PU, there probably could have been a play, the safe call would be to put R2 on 3B.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

After the 3rd out is made (in error or not), is the ball not dead?
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

How about this...what would have (likely) happened if the "right" call was made in the first place?

The right call being that F3 did not have contact with the base before the runner touched first.

Run scores, two outs, runners on first and either second or third, next batter, please.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
How about this...what would have (likely) happened if the "right" call was made in the first place?

The right call being that F3 did not have contact with the base before the runner touched first.

Run scores, two outs, runners on first and either second or third, next batter, please.
How about this? BU quickly sells an off the bag call. F3 spins and throws to F2. F2 tags the runner coming home. So how about as PU you just announce the inning is over anyway
________
The Peak Towers Condominium

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:58pm.