Thread: Rules Question
View Single Post
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnso8 View Post
I'm a little confused about what would happen in this situation. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

The bases are loaded with one out. Batter hits a dribbler back to the pitcher. Pitcher picks it up and throws to home for the force out (and out #2 in the inning). The catcher then throws it to first where the base umpire signals out (#3) immediately before the player that started on second crossed home plate.
Since the batter is put out before reaching 1B, the run does not score. The time at which a runner touches the plate, which you mention below, is not a factor in whether a run scores in the play you describe.

Quote:
An appeal is made because the first baseman pulled her foot and the homeplate umpire overturns the third out. The umpire forces the girl (who started on second base) that was approximately 2 steps away from scoring back on third base. Is this correct?
It doesn't sound like it to me. You could use the rule some codes have about a reversed decision putting a player in jeopardy to be put out, but a safe call here actually allows the runner to score, which she did. Maybe the umpire thought he had to kill the play before helping on the pulled foot, but I don't think that's necessary either. I think other umpires here will have some more to say about this.
Quote:
I think the rules require that the girl starting on second would have had to already touch home plate before the third out was called but I don't know where it states that in any rules. Thanks for any help.
Like I said, and different rule sets say this in a slightly different ways, the run does not score when the third out is on the batter before reaching 1B or when a runner is forced out. It's only when the third out is neither of these things that the time the runner touched the plate matters.