Thread: Rules Question
View Single Post
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer View Post
It is a legitimate sitch. Mr Jones, you are the batter, and from your previous descriptions of your physique, your home to first time is north of 4 seconds. Watley is on second. From the time BU sees the ball beat the foot and winds up for his out sell, a minimum of 1 1/2 seconds go by.

By this time Watley has made it to within 2 feet of home.

If BU initial ruling is safe, the run scores.

But BU rules out, and later reverses himself with the pulled foot info from PU.

So here is my question, is the run counting a judgment on the part of PU, i.e. he determines there was no way defense would have gotten the ball home in time, even with an original safe call.

Or, the fact that Watley hadn't crossed the plate by the time the batter/runner's foot touches first means by rule she must go back?
Again, this is where ASA 10-3-C comes into play...

Quote:
The plate umpire may rectify any situation in which the reversal of an umpire’s decision or a delayed call by an umpire places a batter-runner, a runner or the defensive team in jeopardy. This correction is not possible after one pitch legal or illegal or after the pitcher and all infielders have clearly vacated their normal fielding positions and have left fair territory on their way to the bench or dugout area, or after the last play of the game, the umpires have left the field of play.
In this case, the BU's call was the one that was reversed. As a result, this placed R2 in jeopardy, as she was still running the bases at the time of the "third out." That being the case, it's completely left up to the judgment of the PU to decide where the runners should be placed.

There were some who believed that if a runner was "more than halfway" to the next base, they should get that base. However, that's no longer the case. In this sitch, in my judgment, if the defense had no chance in hell in making a play on R2 going home, I'm awarding home. On the other hand, if, in my judgment as the PU, there probably could have been a play, the safe call would be to put R2 on 3B.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.