The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

fastpitch plate without mask

The other day, I worked with a PU who was so macho that he didn't use a mask in a fastpitch game!!! I'm serious, this guy refused to use a mask for a fastpitch game. Any brave (or dumb) souls here attempted such a thing? Or have any of ya'll forgotten your mask walking out there? I won't even do slowpitch without a mask or cup (a foul ball to the teeth is EXTREMELY PAINFUL will get you to worship the mask and a pitch to the groin will make you wish for the cup), couldn't imagine doing fastpitch with no mask...
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

jest plain stoopid

Sounds like that guy's has already taken a few too many to the ol' coconut.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

this might sound silly.... but if I have a partner who REFUSES to wear a mask behind the plate, I am going to eject him immediately. (always wondered about ejecting a partner)

I gotta say thats the dumbest thing...NO!!! ... and no offense to the mentally challenged world, but its the most RETARDED thing I have ever heard of.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

By the way, I'm looking to off load extra cash. If anyone needs an investor let me know. All I'll need from you is a few numbers.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
The other day, I worked with a PU who was so macho that he didn't use a mask in a fastpitch game!!! I'm serious, this guy refused to use a mask for a fastpitch game. Any brave (or dumb) souls here attempted such a thing? Or have any of ya'll forgotten your mask walking out there? I won't even do slowpitch without a mask or cup (a foul ball to the teeth is EXTREMELY PAINFUL will get you to worship the mask and a pitch to the groin will make you wish for the cup), couldn't imagine doing fastpitch with no mask...

So...let's see if I have this straight. Your partner, who is charged with enforcing the rules, doesn't feel the need to follow the rules himself. All codes that I am aware of require the mask to be worn by all plate umpires. It is not an option. You should have pointed this out to him, and then not allowed him on the field until he complied with the very same rules he is charged to enforce!

I would have been on the phone to the assignor letting him know that I have a partner who refuses to comply with a basic rule of the book, and that I need a new partner ASAP so that the games could take place. If it was rec ball, I would have done the games one man.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

May have posted it before, but when my daughter played middle school ball, they had an ump show up with no gear on at all. Was an older gentleman who said something to the coach about these kids dont throw hard enough to get hurt. Little did he know that both or our pitchers were club pitchers throwing well into the 50's.

I took one in the mask last night on a foul tip that rattled me for a second, and the girl was throwing maybe 45. I have been hit before by faster pitchers and not really felt it, but they have all been glancing blows. This one got me square on the upper bar and the ball bounced back out into the field. Im sure glad I had my mask on.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post

To quote somebody: what an ucking fidiot...

Bad enough we have a couple around here who don't wear cups behind the plate! One guy throws his ball bag on, grabs his mask, and is 'ready to go'....no leg guards...no CP......no cup...it almost hurts just THINKING about it!

There was a bb guy around here, who took one in the chest with a cheap CP on, and a couple of innings later bought it on the field.

Oh yeah - I've walked up to a field....then going....'wait a second...I'm missing something here!'
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
To quote somebody: what an ucking fidiot...

Bad enough we have a couple around here who don't wear cups behind the plate! One guy throws his ball bag on, grabs his mask, and is 'ready to go'....no leg guards...no CP......no cup...it almost hurts just THINKING about it!

There was a bb guy around here, who took one in the chest with a cheap CP on, and a couple of innings later bought it on the field.

Oh yeah - I've walked up to a field....then going....'wait a second...I'm missing something here!'
I was working a tournament with a guy I'd done many games with that season and prior. We did the coin flip [pool play], ground rules, etc., and were ready to start play. I head out to "A", he calls "play ball!", and I call "Time out!". I then asked him if he'd like to put on his mask which was hanging on the fence.

Being forgetful is one thing. Being stupid is a whole 'nuther level.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I was working a tournament with a guy I'd done many games with that season and prior. We did the coin flip [pool play], ground rules, etc., and were ready to start play. I head out to "A", he calls "play ball!", and I call "Time out!". I then asked him if he'd like to put on his mask which was hanging on the fence.

Being forgetful is one thing. Being stupid is a whole 'nuther level.
A couple of years ago, I was getting set behind the catcher, and mentally noted to myself the great peripheral view I had of the field... smell of burning sawdust... sound of gears turning... "TIME"

Went and got my mask, which I left sitting on the ground next to my water bottle...
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

On my water bottle holder I have an extra hook and I often hang my mask on that for coin flip etc and i've also forgot my mask for a pitch...

Thats a far cry from working a whole game; which i find hard to believe. I have worked mens FP where the only catchers gear the cather wore was a mask ..
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
On my water bottle holder I have an extra hook...

Would this be the hook that is supposed to attach to your belt so you can hang your mask there between innings?
UmpireStuff.com :: Umpire Clip

And do you keep is right next to the velcro umpires glove that your indicator sticks too?
The Umpire's Glove

Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I hate when my indicator gloves get hung up on my mask hook while i'm taking down my umpire locker changing tent.
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:19pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Would this be the hook that is supposed to attach to your belt so you can hang your mask there between innings?

And do you keep is right next to the velcro umpires glove that your indicator sticks too?
Why pay for one when you could make the same damn thing for more than half the price???

Why get one? Unless you're a Michael Jackson wannabe? (I know his glove was white, but he was black...soooooo)
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:20pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
I hate when my indicator gloves get hung up on my mask hook while i'm taking down my umpire locker changing tent.
And I'll be sitting in my lawn chair, munching on my popcorn laughing at you stumble!
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
UmpireStuff.com :: Umpire Clip

The Umpire's Glove

A few years ago, I found myself SQUEEEZING my indicator so hard, I started to get the cramps mentioned in the ad...my solution? I perfected twirling the indicator using two fingers sort of like a gunslinger in the movies does - I have got so good at it, I have only dropped it once in the last three years! I might do it once a batter working the plate, but ALL the freaking time on the bases...i have one friend who taps his indicator on his other hand...

Last edited by ASA/NYSSOBLUE; Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 12:39pm. Reason: spelling