The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rule 6-1-c

Finally getting ready to get my season underway! First games are a doubleheader this Saturday. My high school schedule right now has a total of ten games, seven of them varsity. Yeah I know, ten games in five weeks...talk about being overworked.

On to my question. In this forum, as well as others, I have read the opinion that if the pitcher does a touch and go then that meets the requirement of 6-1-c. I've never had a pitcher do this in any game that I've been PU, but last night watching DD's game, one of the backup pitchers on her team does just that. While she doesn't pitch very much, in three seasons of watching her, she's never been called for an IP. I've had hand claps that last longer than her touch and go, so I'm wondering if any of you would call an IP or if I would be picking nits (or being OOO) if I ever made that call.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob View Post
Finally getting ready to get my season underway! First games are a doubleheader this Saturday. My high school schedule right now has a total of ten games, seven of them varsity. Yeah I know, ten games in five weeks...talk about being overworked.

On to my question. In this forum, as well as others, I have read the opinion that if the pitcher does a touch and go then that meets the requirement of 6-1-c. I've never had a pitcher do this in any game that I've been PU, but last night watching DD's game, one of the backup pitchers on her team does just that. While she doesn't pitch very much, in three seasons of watching her, she's never been called for an IP. I've had hand claps that last longer than her touch and go, so I'm wondering if any of you would call an IP or if I would be picking nits (or being OOO) if I ever made that call.
Depends on what your NFHS supervisor tells you to do. The touch rarely lasts the "second" it is supposed to and I wish they would either eliminate the minimum time or make it at least 2 seconds (ISF) to the point the hands coming together is obvious.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob View Post

the rule is not less than 1 second. from what you describe she is pitching illegally. i have called that pitch illegal this year in FHSAA varsity game. coach informed me he knew she was illegal but nobody ever calls it. this pitch used to be legal in NSA but they changed their wording to "not less than 1 second". CALL ILLEGAL PITCHES make the coach teach their pitchers how to pitch. oh yea the 2 second rule is great. i wish they would adopt this in all sanctions.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

I've always been told/taught that in ASA (and, by extension, NFHS), the touch and go is legal so long as the hands are actually brought together (as opposed to a glancing barely touching pass by the edge of the glove finger tips, for example). I figured if ASA / NFHS were serious about this 1 second thing, they would change it to an actual discernible time (such as 2 seconds, like ISF). Otherwise, I ain't countin' "one-mississippi" on every pitch.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the question you need to ask yourself:

Other than to indicate to the batter that the pitch is about to take place, is there any other logical reason for this rule?

I would think it would be more of an issue if the pitcher began swinging their arms around like some of the SP clowns and pitched the ball without the hands coming together. I haven't seen that........yet
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I know the rule, but I usually let the "quick touch" go. Unless I judge some advantage gained by the pitcher...I don't have my stop watch
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

The ASA interpretation is as Mike said; met the purpose of the rule, consider any touch (or apparent touch) to have met the requirement.

NFHS depends on your state. Our Georgia softball adminstrator is emphasizing a full touch for the full second, not a "touch and go"; we (Georgia high school umpires) need to enforce the rule as he (EY) is directing.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpboy2007 View Post
the rule is not less than 1 second. from what you describe she is pitching illegally. i have called that pitch illegal this year in FHSAA varsity game. coach informed me he knew she was illegal but nobody ever calls it. this pitch used to be legal in NSA but they changed their wording to "not less than 1 second". CALL ILLEGAL PITCHES make the coach teach their pitchers how to pitch. oh yea the 2 second rule is great. i wish they would adopt this in all sanctions.
I'm also FHSAA.
I don't call a touch and go illegal.