The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rule 1-6-3

states that non-adult bat/ball shaggers shall wear batting helmets while in live-ball area, even if the ball is dead. Does this apply to a player protecting a pitcher warming up? I've never had this situation in a game that I've called but seems like it happens all the time during DD's game. Yesterday's game was a classic exchange:

Umpire: Time. Coach, she's got to have a helmet on.
Coach: But our last umpire told me she didn't have to have one on.

Umpire just shrugged.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up NFHS Rule 1-6-3

Better to error on the safe side........agree? Put the helmet on.

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed.

Put on a helmet.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

If it is what the rule says then enforce it. Rule 1.6.1 covers everyone else besides the ball/bat shaggers. Make them wear it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Well then we better put the left or right fielder in a helmet then cause she is standing right next to that person. At least that is what I was always told....I do see that the rules state she should have a helmet on, but I have to ask what is the defination of a bat/ball shagger? Not trying to be a smarta$$ (sorry it just comes naturally) but to me it would seem that it is someone that is focused on other activities than catching a batted ball, ie bat girl (focused on picking up bat), foul ball chaser (back to ball running after a foul ball, not seen much in softball).
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Well then we better put the left or right fielder in a helmet then cause she is standing right next to that person. At least that is what I was always told....I do see that the rules state she should have a helmet on, but I have to ask what is the defination of a bat/ball shagger? Not trying to be a smarta$$ (sorry it just comes naturally) but to me it would seem that it is someone that is focused on other activities than catching a batted ball, ie bat girl (focused on picking up bat), foul ball chaser (back to ball running after a foul ball, not seen much in softball).
If a batted ball is approaching the pitcher warming up, is that player not there to "shag" that ball?
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a certain amount of wisdom in what you say, weedhopper. But, if the book tells me to do it, then I do it. I still don't understand why males in FP can leap legally, but females can't. I prefer NCAA mechanics over ASA's, but when working the ASA game, I will use theirs'. So and so on. I am there to enforce what the book/association wants me to enforce. I try to do so without being OOO, but I will do it. In all likelihood, were I working the game in the OP, I would have probably been too focused on the game at hand to notice the kid without the helmet.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
Coach: But our last umpire told me....
I always say the opposite of whatever follows this statement.

And the helmet better not have an optic yellow Mizuno logo on it either.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

If you allow them not to have a helmet on and they get hit in the head with a ball you will be named first in the law suit.

Also what about a bad throw from the catcher that is warming up the pitcher that the shagger has her back to? The right fielder does not have to worry about that.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

"1. to chase or follow after; pursue.
2. to go after and bring back; fetch.
3. Baseball. to retrieve and throw back (fly balls) in batting practice."

Above is from Dictionary.com for shag. IMO she is not there to shag balls, she is there to perform a defensive function of protecting the pitcher from being injuried while she has her back to a live ball. She is not there to retrieve and throw back balls, she is there to knock them down and keep them from rupturing a kidney by hitting the back of the pitcher, or killing her with a shot to the brain stem.

Scooby,
There is a chance that right or left fielder could in fact be in trouble of being hit also, if she is playing close to the line and there is a fly ball in foul territory that she goes for as the catcher releases the ball she could very well run into a throw in the back of the head, not as likely but possible.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

The fundamental purpose of the rule is to require a player from getting beaned whose purpose on the playing field is to not stay focused on softballs traveling at high velocity toward the player. A base coach is not focused on the ball like a defensive player would be, for example.

A ball shagger will be (supposedly) chasing down one fly ball with her back to the action while another may be on its way.

In that regard, then, it would make more sense to require the pitcher warming up to wear a helmet that the player "protecting" her. Unless, of course, you have a wild-throwing warmup catcher.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"1. to chase or follow after; pursue.
2. to go after and bring back; fetch.
3. Baseball. to retrieve and throw back (fly balls) in batting practice."
Hey, what about the State Dance of South Carolina. (Not to mention what the Brit's mean...)
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

On a side note: The past two years I've helped coach our JV softball team so that they'd have a first base coach. My Junior year in high school I did it without anyone ever saying anything and without a helmet on. However, my Senior year, when I'm actually 18, a fellow volleyball official recognizes me, remembers that I'm a high school student, and makes me put on a helmet. Of course I wasn't very happy seeing as a I was heckled for the rest of the season. The only thing that upset me was that I looked in the UIL (I'm in Texas) Softball district rule and the NFHS rule book and never found anything saying I had to wear a helmet. When I politely asked her where the rule was she said she just knew it was a rule and told me to ask the local assigner (who's been around softball forever, it seems) and said if he said I didn't have to, I didn't have to. Well he said I didn't have to, but she went back on her word and said I had to anyways. The next day, she came up to me and pointed out a rule about players having to wear helmets when coaching first base. I simply asked her, "If I was a player, wouldn't that make my team ineligible?"

Needless to say, I had to continue (resentfully) wearing a helmet for the rest of the season. If anyone knows the rule that would require me to wear a helmet, I'd love to know which one it is.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleflan
On a side note: The past two years I've helped coach our JV softball team so that they'd have a first base coach. My Junior year in high school I did it without anyone ever saying anything and without a helmet on. However, my Senior year, when I'm actually 18, a fellow volleyball official recognizes me, remembers that I'm a high school student, and makes me put on a helmet. Of course I wasn't very happy seeing as a I was heckled for the rest of the season. The only thing that upset me was that I looked in the UIL (I'm in Texas) Softball district rule and the NFHS rule book and never found anything saying I had to wear a helmet. When I politely asked her where the rule was she said she just knew it was a rule and told me to ask the local assigner (who's been around softball forever, it seems) and said if he said I didn't have to, I didn't have to. Well he said I didn't have to, but she went back on her word and said I had to anyways. The next day, she came up to me and pointed out a rule about players having to wear helmets when coaching first base. I simply asked her, "If I was a player, wouldn't that make my team ineligible?"

Needless to say, I had to continue (resentfully) wearing a helmet for the rest of the season. If anyone knows the rule that would require me to wear a helmet, I'd love to know which one it is.
The rule of OOO.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Around here in Ohio if you are a student then All students in high school are not considered as adults. After you graduate you can come back and coach all you want without the helmet.