The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I disagree. Would you not enforce the LBR during this "momentary" period? After all, you just stated it is a "dead ball". Cannot have an LBR violation during a DB period.
The signal is described in the ASA umpire manual as "Holding up Play" not "Holding up the Pitcher." Play is play, isn't it?
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
But does she wear 'em well? Any pictures?
Unfortunately, no... she should NOT be wearing anything skin tight in public!
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
The signal is described in the ASA umpire manual as "Holding up Play" not "Holding up the Pitcher." Play is play, isn't it?
Did you not just post on another thread about taking the wording of a rule book literally?

So, you would not enforce the LBR during this period since that, too, could be considered PLAY. Good luck with that DC.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Unfortunately, no... she should NOT be wearing anything skin tight in public!
A conversation with a female catcher who frequently wore spandex went like this last year at the beginning of the game where I was PU...

Catcher: You're so lucky.
Me: Why's that?
Catcher: You get to stare at my fabulous a$$ all night.
Me (mentally): It's not that fabulous, honey.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I've always been taught that holding up the hand to the pitcher should be used judiciously.

It you are doing it between every pitch, it soon becomes part of the background and has a better chance to be ignored.

Most pitchers will wait until the batter is set to begin their delivery. While this is not always true, the umpire can gauge this as the game goes on and stop the pitcher when necessary. This is also very dependent on the level of ball you are calling as well. As you move to higher levels, you should almost never have to stop a pitcher to allow a batter to get set. So when you do hold up your hand, it is a different sight and is more likely to be noticed.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I've always been taught that holding up the hand to the pitcher should be used judiciously.
And it should be. No doubt about that. But there are times when it absolutely has to be used!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
Thanks Scott
Just my opinions, but you are certainly welcome!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Absolutely.

Quote:
It you are doing it between every pitch, it soon becomes part of the background and has a better chance to be ignored.

Most pitchers will wait until the batter is set to begin their delivery. While this is not always true, the umpire can gauge this as the game goes on and stop the pitcher when necessary.
The only time it goes up a lot is when you have an Energizer Bunny-type of pitcher that just keeps going UNTIL you stop them.

Quote:
This is also very dependent on the level of ball you are calling as well. As you move to higher levels, you should almost never have to stop a pitcher to allow a batter to get set.
In FP, yes. In SP, not necessarily especially if you have a team that plays multiple sanctions and will do whatever they can to catch a batter or throw off their timing. Never understood it, as it is a slow pitched softball and should make no difference, but that isn't the way it works.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:58am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
A conversation with a female catcher who frequently wore spandex went like this last year at the beginning of the game where I was PU...

Catcher: You're so lucky.
Me: Why's that?
Catcher: You get to stare at my fabulous a$$ all night.
Me (mentally): It's not that fabulous, honey.
I've had those too...more than once, and usually in coed wreck or in some women's leagues.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
hmm seeing your location.. Tucking in a jacket isnt some southern thang is it?
Perhaps these jacket tucking umpires also officiate baseball games. Many baseball associations and conferences want the jackets tucked.

Gerry Davis offers a plate jacket that's designed to be tucked:

Micro Fiber Jackets w/Open Bottom: Gerry Davis Sports
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One guy decided to get cute with me about it and stepped into the box with one foot about an inch or so from the plate. I told him to get back. He fussed and grumbled. Long story made very short, his attitude and attempt to show me up afterward earned him the first ejection of the year.
Dave,

The lines should be 6 inches from the plate. Assuming an average shoe size of 9 or 10, couldn't the batter have that one foot partially in the batter's box [unless he was stepping parallel to the line and the side of the plate]? If he contacts the ball with one foot completely out of the box, or while stepping on HP, the batter is out.

But if he wants to snug up to HP, what's the violation?

Now, whatever happened after that regarding his attitude or whatever, I've no comment.

Ted
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Dave,

The lines should be 6 inches from the plate. Assuming an average shoe size of 9 or 10, couldn't the batter have that one foot partially in the batter's box [unless he was stepping parallel to the line and the side of the plate]? If he contacts the ball with one foot completely out of the box, or while stepping on HP, the batter is out.

But if he wants to snug up to HP, what's the violation?

Now, whatever happened after that regarding his attitude or whatever, I've no comment.

Ted
From ASA 7-3-A:
Quote:
Prior to the pitch, the batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the batter’s box. The batter may touch the lines, but no part of the foot may be outside the lines prior to the pitch.
That's the violation.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanx. Forgot that part. Pretty straightforward.

Ted
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Thanx. Forgot that part. Pretty straightforward.

Ted
No problem.

99% of the time, the batter looks at me and goes, "oh... sorry!" No big deal. I've never had a batter argue with me that he somehow had a "right" to start with any part of his foot out of the box.

And mind you, I wasn't trying to split hairs here. If it looks more like 4 or 5 inches, I don't care. I have no lines, so I won't split that hair. But if his foot looks like it's only an inch or two off of the plate, then it's too obvious, and it should be corrected.

I honestly wonder if this guy suffers from some roid rage. We've had problems in the past with steroid use in the area.

Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
hmm seeing your location.. Tucking in a jacket isnt some southern thang is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Don't group us all in there! I think the jacket tucked in is a Baseball thang... bleeck.

No, not all baseball guys do it. Don't lump all the baseball guys together! There was a baseball thread recently where I think most, like me, thought it didn't look good. I never tuck in on the bases. Here in the northwest I saw two D1 baseball crews a couple weekends ago. On each crew, one BU tucked, one didn't. Long sleeve shirts for both PUs (which I do for baseball and softball unless it's really cold or wet, then I wear a jacket tucked in so I can get into my ball bags).

Like I said, I don't really like the look, but if you want to tuck it, whatever, no big deal. I put this debate right up there with "what color ball bag" and "6-stitch or 8-stitch?"