The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Heard today from a coach

Working the plate today, runner coming in to score and beats the throw by 1/2 step (catcher was on the 1st base side of the plate). Im standing 5' from the play at the back edge of the right handed batters box and watch the runner plant her entire foot in the middle of the plate.

After play is over, here comes the DC. "Blue, Id like you to go to your partner for help. She missed the plate and I think your partner had a better angle on the play."

Have a nice walk back to the dugout coach.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Working the plate today, runner coming in to score and beats the throw by 1/2 step (catcher was on the 1st base side of the plate). Im standing 5' from the play at the back edge of the right handed batters box and watch the runner plant her entire foot in the middle of the plate.

After play is over, here comes the DC. "Blue, Id like you to go to your partner for help. She missed the plate and I think your partner had a better angle on the play."

Have a nice walk back to the dugout coach.
"Sure coach, I'll be happy to ask my partner, who was 70' away, if he/she had a better angle to see the runner touch the plate. I'm sure being 70' away is much better than 5' don't you agree coach?"

What an idiot for even asking!
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No coach, I will not go to my partner. I saw the runner touch the plate.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And your question was what? coach.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

I had a coach ask me to go to my partner on a pulled foot at 1B. Not the OC, but the DC. He claimed his player never left the ground (he was a foot and a half in the air).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Last summer I had a coach ask me to go to my partner and ask him if 'He had a different angle'. I went to my partner and asked that question. Of course I got a yes, and then called the runner our again.

After the game my partner asked me why I had to ask the question, from 40' further away and watching a play at the plate of course he ahd a different angle than me.

I was just trying to keep the coaches happy!
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post

Why?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Exercise in futility. They're like my old boss: never happy. Screw 'em.

I think what you probably meant was either "to get them off my back" or "to keep the game moving." Both are quite acceptable, in my book.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Exercise in futility. They're like my old boss: never happy. Screw 'em.

I think what you probably meant was either "to get them off my back" or "to keep the game moving." Both are quite acceptable, in my book.
My point is, though, in a situation like the OP, I would have just looked at the coach, told them I clearly saw the runner touch the plate, and I have no need to talk with anyone else about it.

Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
My point is, though, in a situation like the OP, I would have just looked at the coach, told them I clearly saw the runner touch the plate, and I have no need to talk with anyone else about it.
Point well made and well taken. I'm 110% in agreement with you that this coach is just reaching to see what buttons s/he can push.

Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

To all of the situations above, my response would be "Coach, I will always go for help if there is some part of a play I didn't see. No matter what angle my partner has, it can't make me 'unsee' what I saw. There is no added information needed on this play; a second opinion doesn't change my call."
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I told him I was only 5' from the play and saw her foot land directly in the middle of the plate and that I was not going to go to my partner for help. Batter up, play ball.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
To all of the situations above, my response would be "Coach, I will always go for help if there is some part of a play I didn't see. No matter what angle my partner has, it can't make me 'unsee' what I saw. There is no added information needed on this play; a second opinion doesn't change my call."
Damn! You are smooth!

Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

"Coach, I will always go for help if there is some part of a play I didn't see. No matter what angle my partner has, it can't make me 'unsee' what I saw. There is no added information needed on this play; a second opinion doesn't change my call."

Steve, are you saying that regardaless of the information you got from your partner, the call is not changing?

It is possible to see something that did not really happen, i.e. you see a tag but your partner and everybody else including the player who missed the tag did not see the tag.

If you go to your partner and he or she says, the defense missed the tag, are you going to stick with your call? (confused)
Thanks. Ron
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
"Coach, I will always go for help if there is some part of a play I didn't see. No matter what angle my partner has, it can't make me 'unsee' what I saw. There is no added information needed on this play; a second opinion doesn't change my call."

Steve, are you saying that regardaless of the information you got from your partner, the call is not changing?

It is possible to see something that did not really happen, i.e. you see a tag but your partner and everybody else including the player who missed the tag did not see the tag.

If you go to your partner and he or she says, the defense missed the tag, are you going to stick with your call? (confused)
Thanks. Ron
There is no second opinion on a judgment call. There can be additional facts that the calling umpire was not aware of, but no second opinion on the judgment.