The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

My balloon protector is going with me tomorrow

The singular worst tournament I can remember in a long time and the cause was simple.

3 games with a horrible catcher. The coach would NOT pull her, at one point I did lose it. I am injured. I got hurt pretty good 3 times where I am in pain even as I type. In two games hit about 25 times. She couldnt catch a ball to save her life. If I get the unlucky draw tomorrow of this attrocious catcher, I'm using the balloon. It was terrible. It ruined the game for me and them. I told them repeatedly they needed a new catcher. "OH shes a good catcher just having a bad day".

Shes not a good catcher. She had no mechanics of a good catcher. Even the pitches she accidentally caught were not caught with any skill or proper technique. She couldnt block the ball. She would set up outside and while I was dumb enough to stay in the slot I would take the inside shot somewhere.. because she couldnt catch it.

Total bull crap and I actually felt disrespected.. that they would leave me to get hurt just to keep their crappy catcher in. After awhile I could hear the parents even laugh a little when I would get hit. "Oh he got hit again." I was seeing red. I did threaten to eject her... but i didnt.

And, I even feel sorry for the catcher. Someone has put it in her head she can catch or she wants to catch and the simple fact of the matter is she cannot play that position. They should move her. She probably feels horrible about herself tonight and thats not fair to her.. and me. I got a M-F job, I cant be devastated by taking 25 shots in 2 games. That coach needs to pull her head out of her rectum.

Just had to vent a little.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Sun Mar 22, 2009 at 12:46am.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Nice Rant

Can't say I've ever had one that bad. I know there are some who think you stay in the slot no matter what but I'm not one of them.
Catcher can't catch I do what I have to back there to stay safe. I'm 47 yo and don't heal quite the way I use to.
I got nailed-bad pitcher- in the thigh. 5 days later its only black and blue and not taking as much advil.
Have fun today.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Yep, had a few of those myself. 16u team, knew I was in trouble when I could see pitcher was throwing at least mid to high 50s without control and catcher couldnt even catch the warm ups. Second pitch of the game the catcher never put a glove on the ball and it caught me square in the elbow. Later the same inning, ball goes between her legs and I dont know what it ricocheted off of, but the ball comes straight up and catches me in the side of the cup and inside of the thigh. There were plenty of others during the game but those were the worst 2. My elbow was turning black before the end of the game and when I finally got to see my thigh it was black all the way down to my knee and had the imprint of the ball and stitch marks in it.

I heard through one of the coaches that this same team about a week later was told by the ump to change catchers. They said they didnt have another and he told them that if that was the case, he was through, the game was over and walked off the field.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
The singular worst tournament I can remember in a long time and the cause was simple.

3 games with a horrible catcher. The coach would NOT pull her, at one point I did lose it. I am injured. I got hurt pretty good 3 times where I am in pain even as I type. In two games hit about 25 times. She couldnt catch a ball to save her life. If I get the unlucky draw tomorrow of this attrocious catcher, I'm using the balloon. It was terrible. It ruined the game for me and them. I told them repeatedly they needed a new catcher. "OH shes a good catcher just having a bad day".

Shes not a good catcher. She had no mechanics of a good catcher. Even the pitches she accidentally caught were not caught with any skill or proper technique. She couldnt block the ball. She would set up outside and while I was dumb enough to stay in the slot I would take the inside shot somewhere.. because she couldnt catch it.

Total bull crap and I actually felt disrespected.. that they would leave me to get hurt just to keep their crappy catcher in. After awhile I could hear the parents even laugh a little when I would get hit. "Oh he got hit again." I was seeing red. I did threaten to eject her... but i didnt.

And, I even feel sorry for the catcher. Someone has put it in her head she can catch or she wants to catch and the simple fact of the matter is she cannot play that position. They should move her. She probably feels horrible about herself tonight and thats not fair to her.. and me. I got a M-F job, I cant be devastated by taking 25 shots in 2 games. That coach needs to pull her head out of her rectum.

Like the gal told me one time when I told her I was going to get a new catcher.

"Blue, you really ain't gonna like the next one."

Did not get to find out, left in the game.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post

I've gone as far as 8 ft back to call. Stay down long enough to know where the pitch is, then get the hell out.

Rita
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
I've gone as far as 8 ft back to call. Stay down long enough to know where the pitch is, then get the hell out.

Rita
I don't see a smiley, but I know your joking.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
I don't see a smiley, but I hope you're joking.
Fixed.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

2 years ago, I went far enough that I told the catcher's coach, in the 3rd inning, that if I was hit by another untouched pitch, I was going to eject F2 for unsportsmanlike conduct. When the coach started to argue, I told her that I was not there to discuss - only to give her the courtesy of informing her. This was after several untouched pitches got me.
As a result of that catcher, I went & got the Mcavid hex pad shorts. And I have worn those at every game at every level ever since.
If I still had a balloon, I'd have probably delayed that game while I walked to the car and got it - AND had the clock continue to run.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

It amazes me that people would leave the game or force the coach to put in another catcher..... maybe when that game is over..you should officiate another sport....
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'd love to pull out the old balloon, just to see the looks from people. Maybe even for slow pitch!
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, Wade, out of curiosity, where was the tourney?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

I didnt pull out the balloon... I wore my west vest. Has her straight out of the gate at 8 am and she did fine. Then a few games another umpire went to the coach about her.

Its just reality she should not be catching.

I would not agree with any umpire who thinks its an umpires job to be a personal back stop for a crappy catcher. I think we all expect to take our dings.. this is beyond that. If you want to sit there and get hit over and over with a 50 mph softball, golf clap for ya tough guy.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
Oh, Wade, out of curiosity, where was the tourney?
Stockton
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
I don't see a smiley, but I know your joking.
Joking about what?

I wasn't kidding. It's better than calling from the mound. If you are back (Maybe I was exaggerating some) you can call it from a more normal position and still have time to react when the catcher misses it.

It's better than losing your focus because you fear getting hit.

Rita
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Joking about what?

I wasn't kidding. It's better than calling from the mound.

Rita
Well, see, there's your problem!!!

If there was a mound, you were on the wrong field