The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

good hitting pitchers?

Does anyone know how well some of the best pitchers bat? Like say, how well does Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman, etc bat? I think the ultimate performance is where a pitcher pitches a perfect game and hits a home run to win 1-0. I know these days the coaches are too concerned about their star pitcher getting hurt but wouldn't it be great to see a true athlete who'll pitch into the 60mph range hit home runs, steal bases, pretty much do everything including the kitchen sink to win a ball game a true 6 tool athlete (6th tool is pitching)? I think pitchers should have a better sense of where the strike zone is since they've been throwing at it all game long...
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

The only hitting I care about is how well they hit the catcher's mitt. What they do with the bat, I could care less about -- so long as somebody scores before beer thirty they can go 0 for 40.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Jennie Finch is a very good hitter and actually teaches clinics out here which include hitting quite a bit; however, this is more of a fan/parent type issue and not an officiating issue.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
Does anyone know how well some of the best pitchers bat? Like say, how well does Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman, etc bat? I think the ultimate performance is where a pitcher pitches a perfect game and hits a home run to win 1-0. I know these days the coaches are too concerned about their star pitcher getting hurt but wouldn't it be great to see a true athlete who'll pitch into the 60mph range hit home runs, steal bases, pretty much do everything including the kitchen sink to win a ball game a true 6 tool athlete (6th tool is pitching)? I think pitchers should have a better sense of where the strike zone is since they've been throwing at it all game long...
Not a no-hitter, but did anyone catch last nights game between the Brewers and the Pirates? Brief game report:
Quote:
Yovani Gallardo was magnificent, striking out 11 batters and allowing two hits over eight. The game was scoreless until the seventh, though, when Gallardo took matters into his own hands with a home run to left to seal the sweep vs. the Bucs.
Brewers won 1-0 on a home run by the pitcher.

Ban the DH!
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

ugh.. a national league "purist".

When are they going to get with the program?
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

While I have learned to live with the DH, I am certainly not a fan of the rule!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
While I have learned to live with the DH, I am certainly not a fan of the rule!
Well we might as well discuss it.. lord knows no one wants to talk about softball rules.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post

No, a baseball purist (as a fan - never have umpired baseball). There is a whole list of things I don't like about the game today, many of them foisted on the game by the current pretend commissioner.

I'm a fan of an AL team, but I don't like the DH rule.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I thought we weren't allowed to talk Baseball here, but since you brought it up...

I prefer no DH. (Maybe it's a sign of age)
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I thought we weren't allowed to talk Baseball here, but since you brought it up...

I prefer no DH. (Maybe it's a sign of age)
Well, as far as my comments are concerned, it is a double violation... wrong sport for this forum, and commenting as a fan, not an umpire.

So sue me. Or ridicule me (wade). I don't care!
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I used to feel the same way about the DH - the pitcher ought to bat.
I have changed my mind. I like it for several reasons. It adds offense to the game in that the #9 spot in the line up is not a bunt or a K and you can't walk the #8 hitter to get to the pitcher. Coaches are not forced into a decision to pinch hit for the pitcher in the middle of a game. Pitchers are protected from being a hit batsman. It prolongs the careers of good hitters who have lost a step in the field. And, while maybe not an issue at the MLB level, more players get to play.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
I used to feel the same way about the DH - the pitcher ought to bat.
I have changed my mind. I like it for several reasons. It adds offense to the game in that the #9 spot in the line up is not a bunt or a K and you can't walk the #8 hitter to get to the pitcher. Coaches are not forced into a decision to pinch hit for the pitcher in the middle of a game. Pitchers are protected from being a hit batsman. It prolongs the careers of good hitters who have lost a step in the field. And, while maybe not an issue at the MLB level, more players get to play.

And the reasons you stated are exactly why the DH needs to go away. It required strategy to know whether or not to leave your pitcher in to bat in a crucial situation. (Is he a good hitter? Can he bunt well, especially in cases calling for a sacrifice? Is he still pitching well enough? Who do I have available as a pinch hitter and sub?) Offense is not the be all end all of the game. (This is also true for hockey, and the changes they have made.) There is no reason to protect a pitcher from anything if he wants to play the game of baseball.

In this era of chicks "digging the long ball," we tend to forget that there have been some exceptional hitting pitchers throughout the ages. Hell...would you have DH-ed for Babe Ruth if you had been the Boston manager?

A player should be a contributer to all aspects of the game. If a guy is too old to play a position, he should retire. If a pitcher can't hit, then leave him in the minors until he develops a plate instinct. (Unless he is a truly exceptional pitcher, then deal with him offensively.) Ty Cobb played the game about as hard as anyone. He was 41 when he retired. No one knows how old Satchel Paige was when he finally retired, but it is certain that he was in his 50's at a minimum, and he played in a era of barnstorming with the Negro Leagues where he might pitch 2 or 3 games in a row, with no rest, and was sometimes expected to play another position on a night when he was "resting." His entire career in baseball predates the DH rule. I could go on and on, but I think you get the gist!

Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

It's the big leagues... I agree with Scott, with the added comment that the very idea that an AL pitcher can throw at a batter with impunity (from the other pitcher, anyway) offends the game, too.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Well, for the record - I favor DH, pitchers not hitting, and performance enhancing products and breaking lame old school records.

I do not like the fact that the San Diego Chicken now whores himself willy nilly throughout the league though.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not like the fact that the San Diego Chicken now whores himself willy nilly throughout the league though.
You should have jumped on those pimping rights, errrr, agent's rights when you had the chance!