Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, see, there's your problem!!!

If there was a mound, you were on the wrong field
Plus, the other umpire would be doing all kinds of weird signaling/hand gestures. Some of 'em look like they're trying to land a plane on an aircraft carrier.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 07:35am
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
It amazes me that people would leave the game or force the coach to put in another catcher..... maybe when that game is over..you should officiate another sport....
Someone left a game ?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 07:38am
Ref Ump Welsch

Disclaimer: Slowpitch guy here. Went to our local clinic a week ago, and the UIC showed a few clips from YouTube and some other u-post-it-here websites, of calls and actions from mostly fastpitch games. One was a fastpitch game, where the catcher deliberately pulled down her glove while the pitcher threw a riser that hit the umpire square in the chest. After the blue caught his breath, he called time and ejected the catcher and pitcher both, and in the ensuring chaos, tossed the coach as well, and started to walk off the field and apparently forfeited the game. This was well justified (and don't ask me where you can find this one because the deputy UIC did all the fun work).

Speaking of walking off the field or telling the coach he/she needs to replace the catcher, some of that may be justified, but most isn't. You may think what the hell gives me any authority to speak as a slowpitch umpire, you haven't worked enough wreck ball to take a few off the shin because the catcher can't catch worth crap. I actually have told a few of those catchers they may want to start catching, or I'm moving back a few feet and can't guarantee their pitcher getting the call they should be because of a poor angle. Some will wise up and actually catch the godforsaken ball, and we have no problems. I've also gone to the point of saying the heck with the slot and lined up directly behind the catcher (and in slowpitch, that doesn't do the trick much of the time either!).

Just venting, but at the same, feeling for you folks doing fastpitch because that ball's coming in a heck of a lot faster and harder. I don't envy you. Good luck the rest of the season!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Someone left a game ?
I know I didnt, i got the bruises to prove it.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

My first JV game was like that. Pitcher lacked control and catcher lacked the ability to catch the ball. The only good thing is that you never have a play at the plate since the ball is on the ground. I have dreaded JV's ever since and some of them are really good.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question Questoins

I too have been hit many times due to a catcher's inability to catch. I don't recall any rules that I can encourage a coach to change up the catcher or force the coach to change the catcher. I have thought about calling the plate from behind the pitcher, 'cause I am not going to get beat up by all those missed balls. One post stated unsportsmanlike conduct. Can one justify that by rule? Or are there any other rules that we can use to protect us to Ump another day.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, you can only use unsportsmanlike conduct if you believe the player or coach is making no effort to field the position reasonably. It is not unsportsmanlike conduct to simply be incapable of protecting the umpire; it is unsportsmanlike conduct to not make a reasonable effort.

If they are that incapable, I believe you are justified in making the adjustments to your mechanics that you believe are appropriate; that may be backing up, it may be calling from behind the pitcher, it may require more protective equipment (how about a 4x8 sheet of plywood with cutout eyeholes??). You are only justified in encouraging a change if the catcher is making no effort; you are justified in treating lack of effort the same as intentionally allowing or causing us to get injured.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thats about as reasonable a response as I've heard..

Unfortunately the powers that be believe I am a human back stop.

Thats not happening though, I need to work M-F.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, see, there's your problem!!!

If there was a mound, you were on the wrong field
That's funny.

Guess I've given my background away.

Behind the pitcher then.

Rita
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Yep, had a few of those myself. 16u team, knew I was in trouble when I could see pitcher was throwing at least mid to high 50s without control and catcher couldnt even catch the warm ups. Second pitch of the game the catcher never put a glove on the ball and it caught me square in the elbow. Later the same inning, ball goes between her legs and I dont know what it ricocheted off of, but the ball comes straight up and catches me in the side of the cup and inside of the thigh. There were plenty of others during the game but those were the worst 2. My elbow was turning black before the end of the game and when I finally got to see my thigh it was black all the way down to my knee and had the imprint of the ball and stitch marks in it.

I heard through one of the coaches that this same team about a week later was told by the ump to change catchers. They said they didnt have another and he told them that if that was the case, he was through, the game was over and walked off the field.
RKB....you better tell me which team this was so I can have the balloon ready if I happen to draw them someday!

The other trick that I am surprised no one has mentioned is to grab the back strap of the catchers chest protector and move him/her to block the ball as it comes in!
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

The other trick that I am surprised no one has mentioned is to grab the back strap of the catchers chest protector and move him/her to block the ball as it comes in!
I've done it in baseball ... many, many years ago ... but I'd rather get hit than start putting my hand under a female catcher's straps!

Actually, I thought my baseball quote was pretty good as I dragged the kid back into position. "Son, you're the one with the glove. Try to defend both of us."
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
The singular worst tournament I can remember in a long time and the cause was simple.

3 games with a horrible catcher. The coach would NOT pull her, at one point I did lose it. I am injured. I got hurt pretty good 3 times where I am in pain even as I type. In two games hit about 25 times. She couldnt catch a ball to save her life. If I get the unlucky draw tomorrow of this attrocious catcher, I'm using the balloon. It was terrible. It ruined the game for me and them. I told them repeatedly they needed a new catcher. "OH shes a good catcher just having a bad day".

Shes not a good catcher. She had no mechanics of a good catcher. Even the pitches she accidentally caught were not caught with any skill or proper technique. She couldnt block the ball. She would set up outside and while I was dumb enough to stay in the slot I would take the inside shot somewhere.. because she couldnt catch it.

Total bull crap and I actually felt disrespected.. that they would leave me to get hurt just to keep their crappy catcher in. After awhile I could hear the parents even laugh a little when I would get hit. "Oh he got hit again." I was seeing red. I did threaten to eject her... but i didnt.

And, I even feel sorry for the catcher. Someone has put it in her head she can catch or she wants to catch and the simple fact of the matter is she cannot play that position. They should move her. She probably feels horrible about herself tonight and thats not fair to her.. and me. I got a M-F job, I cant be devastated by taking 25 shots in 2 games. That coach needs to pull her head out of her rectum.

Just had to vent a little.

here's a trick, if it's cold, buy a set of football player pants (yes football player pants) and you can tuck thigh pads in there and knee pads if u want. Then put on soccer shin guards and then place your regular shin guards over the soccer shin guards, and put your extra large plate pants over all that. Now you are double protected and even have thigh protection. For upper body, wear a jacket and put on elbow pads and forearm pads (your jacket will conceal all of it). Of course, steel toed shoes, throad guard for your facemask or the hockey mask. wear the inner protector and the balloon protector, now you are more machine than man! haha! That should get you really well protected and keep you warm sometimes in extreme cold weather, I keep my chest protector and shin guards on when I'm doing bases (jacket conceals the protector and shin guards are hidden under my combo pants. All I need to do is flip my ball bag inside my pants and I'm all set. No one will know that I didn't bother to change and I get to stay warm! Needless to say, I LOVE umpiring in cold weather! just throw on the jacket and go, no need to worry about shirts coming untucked, etc...
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Having done a bit of fast pitch wreck ball and taking my share of shots from both types of catchers (ones that are inable and the ones that wont make the effort)
Whats wrong with standing up and calling pitches from outside the normal position? (like 5 feet left of the slot on a right handed batter)
Nothing in the "rules" say we have to stand in the slot and be a human shooting gallery target, and the butt of the joke (coz thats what it is, a JOKE) of course the manual gives us all kinds of tidbits on where and how to stand during a "normal" game.
I'm not saying ive done it, but i have thought seriously about it. especially last night!!

I mean it is safety FIRST? isnt it?

This would send both coaches a strong message and protect the umpire at the same time. (because, you KNOW they have someone either riding the pine or out in right field that can freaking catch just fine!)

And you "purists".. dont gimme yer crap about protecting the "integrity" of the game. because once someone giggles and says "ooooh!! look, he got hit again" that chit is out the window!!
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
here's a trick, if it's cold, buy a set of football player pants (yes football player pants) and you can tuck thigh pads in there and knee pads if u want. Then put on soccer shin guards and then place your regular shin guards over the soccer shin guards, and put your extra large plate pants over all that. Now you are double protected and even have thigh protection. For upper body, wear a jacket and put on elbow pads and forearm pads (your jacket will conceal all of it). Of course, steel toed shoes, throad guard for your facemask or the hockey mask. wear the inner protector and the balloon protector, now you are more machine than man! haha! That should get you really well protected and keep you warm sometimes in extreme cold weather, I keep my chest protector and shin guards on when I'm doing bases (jacket conceals the protector and shin guards are hidden under my combo pants. All I need to do is flip my ball bag inside my pants and I'm all set. No one will know that I didn't bother to change and I get to stay warm! Needless to say, I LOVE umpiring in cold weather! just throw on the jacket and go, no need to worry about shirts coming untucked, etc...
Come to louisiana or texas and wear that stuff... its ok i will take your plate and your fee after about 10 minutes.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Well there are going to be those that absolutely think its your job to be a human back stop and "thats what the equipment is for"... As if we are wearing a suit of armor.