The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Down one player

High School Rules

3-3-8 gives instructions of what to do when an offensive player reaches base and cannot continue and there are no available substitutes.

Then in (c) it says: When the half-inning ends and the team assumes a defensive position, refer to 4-3-1g.

I'm assuming that 4-3-1g allows the game to continue with 8 on defense, but there isn't anything specific.

Rita
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
High School Rules

3-3-8 gives instructions of what to do when an offensive player reaches base and cannot continue and there are no available substitutes.

Then in (c) it says: When the half-inning ends and the team assumes a defensive position, refer to 4-3-1g.

I'm assuming that 4-3-1g allows the game to continue with 8 on defense, but there isn't anything specific.

Rita
The game continues with eight (8) players on defense.

Bob
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
High School Rules

Rita
I actually had that on Friday. Somewhere I must have read that in a thread cause I nailed it. Last player, short-handed , all of it. I was impressed that the coach of the opposing team knew it too.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
High School Rules

Rita,

I am happy to see someone making an effort to understand different rules.

One thing you need to understand is that rarely does any one sentence/paragraph of a rule (in any book) stand alone. There is often a complimentary entry which supports and/or offers direction in regards to the situation created by the enforcement of the original rule in question.

In this case, it was a shorthanded rule (which allows teams to continue play with less than the required number of players) which allowed the team that was on offense at the time to continue with the game instead of forfeiting.

A shorthanded rule applies to the teams, not a specific portion of the game (offense or defense).
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Rita,

I am happy to see someone making an effort to understand different rules.

One thing you need to understand is that rarely does any one sentence/paragraph of a rule (in any book) stand alone. There is often a complimentary entry which supports and/or offers direction in regards to the situation created by the enforcement of the original rule in question.

In this case, it was a shorthanded rule (which allows teams to continue play with less than the required number of players) which allowed the team that was on offense at the time to continue with the game instead of forfeiting.

A shorthanded rule applies to the teams, not a specific portion of the game (offense or defense).
I've been an umpire for 10 years but am renewing my acquaintence with high school softball. Knowing that no rule stands alone, I will be coming here to ask questions because I have already found the softball index to be lacking.

I wanted to make sure there wasn't more to the story.

Rita
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been an umpire for 10 years but am renewing my acquaintence with high school softball. Knowing that no rule stands alone, I will be coming here to ask questions because I have already found the softball index to be lacking.

Rita
Well, you've definitely come to the right place!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Well, you've definitely come to the right place!
Yeah, we'll add more to the story whether it should be there or not!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Does Fed allow a team to play shorthanded even after a player ejection? Got a call from a fellow official with this question and could not find mention of it in either the rule or case book. Told him I would check with the guys/gals on here. If it's indeed there, where is it?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Yeah, we'll add more to the story whether it should be there or not!
Ain't that the truth.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Does Fed allow a team to play shorthanded even after a player ejection? ...
Yes.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Does Fed allow a team to play shorthanded even after a player ejection? Got a call from a fellow official with this question and could not find mention of it in either the rule or case book. Told him I would check with the guys/gals on here. If it's indeed there, where is it?
It's one of those invisible rules, allowed because it is not prohibited.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I will let him know. He will hate to hear it since he forfeited the game, with the offending team ahead by 4 in the bottom of the 6th no less. Unfortunately Texas HS does not have a protest procedure beyond checking the rule book on the field, which was not done in this case. Umpire sold it and coach bought it. One more unfortunate HS umpire story.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

Rita
Also try
NFHS Forum: Softball
if you want strictly HS rules.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately Texas HS does not have a protest procedure beyond checking the rule book on the field...
Au contraire The UIL has a system of protests that can be found on their website. Here is a short snippet:

"A participant school may protest an act or omission that is a violation of the Constitution and/or Contest Rules, but may not protest a contest judge’s, referee’s or other official’s decision."

It goes on to detail various types of protests and what steps are to be taken.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I will let him know. He will hate to hear it since he forfeited the game, with the offending team ahead by 4 in the bottom of the 6th no less. Unfortunately Texas HS does not have a protest procedure beyond checking the rule book on the field, which was not done in this case. Umpire sold it and coach bought it. One more unfortunate HS umpire story.
As a matter of fact, as an officer in the local association, I have already had to handle a protest this year!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.