The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
And how would you get a runner out between first and home when she walked?
By tagging her while off the base? She has advanced to first, so her walk protection is over. She has returned from overrunning so she has no such protection. If she moves toward home while you're trying to tag her she is out. Or if she doesn't go straight toward the base of her choice when you go to apply the tag.
(A smart pitcher would just hold the ball and wait for her to commit the inevitable LBR violation.)
________
Vaporizer

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:47pm.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Speaking ASA, and all other softball codes I know about, once a batter becomes a BR, it doesn't matter how or why she became a BR. If she can overrun on a batted ball (and, of course, she can), she can overrun on a BOB, on a D3K... she can even overrun on a HBP!

Now, once she arrives at the base and has NOT overrun, if she leaves the base (i.e. your exuberant player who jumps up), she can be tagged out while off the base.

As to why a BR would overrun on a BOB, well, the ball is live, and she may be attempting to catch the defense napping.
On a batted ball to an infielder and a D3K I can understand the BR running through the base. A HBP is pointless since the ball is dead. I know a lot of times teams have a play on when a runner is on 3B and the batter gets a walk, the BR then makes a hard push to 1B and rounds the base [as opposed to running through it]. Many times the runner will continue to 2B without a throw if the defense isn't alert enough or skilled enough to defend that play.

So a BR who has a walk can "run through the base" and not be liable to be tagged out?

Thanx.

Ted
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
So a BR who has a walk can "run through the base" and not be liable to be tagged out?
Hmmm... like I said, once a batter becomes a BR, it doesn't matter how or why she became a BR.