The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Walk this way ?

When you're the BU and the coach requests time and wants to have a chat do you wait for the coach to come to you or do you meet coach halfway in the field ?

I generally have been meeting them half way but was wondering what blues do outside of our area .
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

It depends. If I think he has a valid reason to chat or ask a question, I will meet him half way. He's agreeable, I'm agreeable and working with him.

If he wants to challenge judgment or tell me he disagrees with a call, he needs to walk all the way to me, and all the way back.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Theres a school of thought that if you are going to eject em, lead em to the grass..

If they are already coming at me, I wait for them. If they are squawking from afar, I'll close the distance.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 02:54pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Theres a school of thought that if you are going to eject em, lead em to the grass..

If they are already coming at me, I wait for them. If they are squawking from afar, I'll close the distance.
I agree with Wade here, and will add that if they motion or make a request, I'll meet them halfway.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
When you're the BU and the coach requests time and wants to have a chat do you wait for the coach to come to you or do you meet coach halfway in the field ?

I generally have been meeting them half way but was wondering what blues do outside of our area .
Depends. If I believe the purpose is a personnel/line-up issue or maybe even an equipment issue, I'll close the gap.

If it is to discuss a play or call and they want to instigate a discusson, they are coming to me with one exception. If the umpire makes a mistake which needs correcting or a brain fart (i.e. verbal safe with out signal), I would probably go to coach if s/he isn't already there .

I do not believe an umpire should ever move toward a player/coach who is about to question a call, ruling or heritage. It can appear to be a defensive or agressive action by the umpire and an umpire should NEVER appear defensive or agressive toward a player/coach.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Can you please elaborate. I've only ejected 4 players; 3 bat throwers and one chirper who didn't know enough to be quiet.

Thanx,

Ted
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Can you please elaborate. I've only ejected 4 players; 3 bat throwers and one chirper who didn't know enough to be quiet.

Thanx,

Ted
Only four ejections and three were bat throwers? How long have you been umpiring? If it's more than a few seasons you either have the patience of a saint and/or work in some leagues with some very well behaved players and coaches.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Only four ejections and three were bat throwers? How long have you been umpiring? If it's more than a few seasons you either have the patience of a saint and/or work in some leagues with some very well behaved players and coaches.
KJUmp, I've only been doing ASA for 3 years. Coming up will be my fourth and I'll be doing NFHS games this year as well.

I work a diverse mix of games from both men's and women's rec softball to industrial intramural modified to a Sunday only Latino league to a JO league and JO tournaments. My ejections were two from the Church league, one Latino, and one rec 'sno-pitch [the chirpie one].

We see most of these guys/teams/coaches pretty regularly and have developed a pretty good understanding of what crosses the line. That's mostly from some of the other veteran guys I work with. For the most part the adult men 'sno-pitch leagues are the worst offenders. The women and girls are a breeze. [Oh, parents of 18-U are pretty rowdy. I would have liked to toss a couple of them. The players actually get embarrassed by their parents antics. I've heard more than once: "Dad! Knock it off, will you?"]

Ted
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Quote:
I find that I do just the opposite. If the coach is going to be a pr!ck, I let them do the work. All he does on the way is discredit himself and provide ammunition for when I launch him.

On the other hand, a respectful coach gets the same hustle from me that they show on their way. If they jog out, I jog to meet them; if they walk, I walk.

My feeling is, they get as much respect from me as they show me.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Tru-
Glad to see you're working many diferent types of softball...and many different age groups. I've been at this a lot of years, and I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that if you can handle adult ballplayers effectively both during the game and during those "explosive moments" you can pretty much handle the egos/temperments of players and coaches at any other level. No one can "loose it" any better than an adult softball player...and I've had some classics over 25+ years. But it does make you tough and prepares you for pretty much anything that can be thrown at you.
I think you'll find your 4th season to really be a good one, as now you can fall back on 3 years of on field experiences and situations (and in 3 years you've seen a lot...not everything, but a lot) to help you continue to develop into a cool, calm, confident, professional umpire. One who can work a good consistent game, take the heat, and handle the tough situations when they arise.
I'm sure you've gotten loads of good advice from the veteran umps in your association. I'll leave you with one bit advice that was passed onto me a long time ago from a veteran guy and over the years has stood me in good stead..
When you walk on the field, when the coaches/players see you, their internal reaction should be..."I'm glad we got this guy working our game. He's knows his stuff, he hustles, and he takes charge of the game without being overbearing....and when the s**t hits the fan he doesn't lose his cool and shows some backbone and guts."
Good luck to you...have a great sesaon!
KJump
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Tru-

I think you'll find your 4th season to really be a good one, as now you can fall back on 3 years of on field experiences and situations (and in 3 years you've seen a lot...not everything, but a lot) to help you continue to develop into a cool, calm, confident, professional umpire. One who can work a good consistent game, take the heat, and handle the tough situations when they arise.
I'm sure you've gotten loads of good advice from the veteran umps in your association. I'll leave you with one bit advice that was passed onto me a long time ago from a veteran guy and over the years has stood me in good stead..
When you walk on the field, when the coaches/players see you, their internal reaction should be..."I'm glad we got this guy working our game. He's knows his stuff, he hustles, and he takes charge of the game without being overbearing....and when the s**t hits the fan he doesn't lose his cool and shows some backbone and guts."
Good luck to you...have a great sesaon!
KJump
KJump, thanx for the tips. Yes, looking forward to getting started, probably in about a month or so. Doing the NFHS will be a new challenge and I'm looking forward to that.

I did play for almost 30 years although never 'sno-pitch. I always played fast and modified ball. I had 3 different UICs recruiting me to umpire, but at the time one league and a couple of tournaments a year were all I could spare for time. Finally moved the backside off'n the sofa and got back out there. Like someone said, maybe in this forum, I have the best seat in the house [even though I have to stand up the whole game]!

Ted
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
It depends. If I think he has a valid reason to chat or ask a question, I will meet him half way. He's agreeable, I'm agreeable and working with him.

If he wants to challenge judgment or tell me he disagrees with a call, he needs to walk all the way to me, and all the way back.
This is exactly the way I handle it.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

if the coach is coming towards me to argue something, as long as they walk calmly, I'll let them approach me and when they get close enough, i'll take a small and slow step towards them with a "yes sir?" or "yes ma'am?" to acknowledge their presence and let them start the discussion. If they're civil about things, i'll explain things to their satisfaction and check with my partner if need be, if they're hostile, i'll say the minimal stuff and tell them conversation is over.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
if the coach is coming towards me to argue something, as long as they walk calmly, I'll let them approach me and when they get close enough, i'll take a small and slow step towards them with a "yes sir?" or "yes ma'am?" to acknowledge their presence and let them start the discussion. If they're civil about things, i'll explain things to their satisfaction and check with my partner if need be, if they're hostile, i'll say the minimal stuff and tell them conversation is over.
Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I try to be as civil and receptive to coaches as I possibly can. If they're just blowing smoke, I'll put a quick stop to it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

I disagree with most of you. I do not want a coach on the field. I want the conversation held outside the foul lines. If a coach is on the field when I reach him, I will walk him across the chalk lines.

Reason: when I am done, I want to walk back onto the field; that is my territory and the coach does not belong there. If he is outside the chalk lines, he can gracefully return to the dugout. If I walk away from him and leave him standing somewhere on the field, he is going to be alone - and ticked. More like to chase after me.

If he is outside the chalk when I walk away, he better not cross the lines. That is asking for the parking lot.

WMB