The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Depends. If I believe the purpose is a personnel/line-up issue or maybe even an equipment issue, I'll close the gap.

If it is to discuss a play or call and they want to instigate a discusson, they are coming to me with one exception. If the umpire makes a mistake which needs correcting or a brain fart (i.e. verbal safe with out signal), I would probably go to coach if s/he isn't already there .

I do not believe an umpire should ever move toward a player/coach who is about to question a call, ruling or heritage. It can appear to be a defensive or agressive action by the umpire and an umpire should NEVER appear defensive or agressive toward a player/coach.
Ever...Really???
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichiganBlue View Post
I disagree with most of you. I do not want a coach on the field. I want the conversation held outside the foul lines. If a coach is on the field when I reach him, I will walk him across the chalk lines.

Reason: when I am done, I want to walk back onto the field; that is my territory and the coach does not belong there. If he is outside the chalk lines, he can gracefully return to the dugout. If I walk away from him and leave him standing somewhere on the field, he is going to be alone - and ticked. More like to chase after me.

If he is outside the chalk when I walk away, he better not cross the lines. That is asking for the parking lot.

WMB
So what happens if you're the rabbit and the coach is in the 1B dugout?

I personally wouldn't have such hard and fast rules about where a coach stands. I'd rather be able to stand my ground, have a quick conversation without being adversarial, and get the game moving again.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
It depends. If I think he has a valid reason to chat or ask a question, I will meet him half way. He's agreeable, I'm agreeable and working with him.

If he wants to challenge judgment or tell me he disagrees with a call, he needs to walk all the way to me, and all the way back.
agree w/ this ...
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame View Post
Ever...Really???
Not when they know it is contest a call.

I've seen too many umpires almost hurry to get to a coach and get overly defensive prior to the coach even opening his/her mouth.

Just as you are not to take a position with arms crossed that could be construed as defensive or inattentive, I do not want to offer ANYTHING which would give the impression that I am eager to confront a player or coach.

For that matter, I try to make a point to have a big smile on my face when a coach is heading in my direction. I want them to do the work and not have me to use as an excuse.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
For that matter, I try to make a point to have a big smile on my face when a coach is heading in my direction. I want them to do the work and not have me to use as an excuse.
And don't forget to remove your sunglasses!!
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
And don't forget to remove your sunglasses!!
Don't wear sunglasses and I'm not taking off my photo-gray prescriptions.