The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Mens NCAA

Is there a specific rule pertaining to a player throwing the ball of HIS OWN backboard?

Rule 4, Section 18, Article 4, A.R. 13 pertains to a player who dribbles, stops his dribble, and throws the ball off of HIS OPPONENTS backboard. However, I wasnt able to find one about throwing it off of his own backboard.

Savaahn Ty
" Just a student of the game, always looking to improve "
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by SavaahnTy
Mens NCAA

Is there a specific rule pertaining to a player throwing the ball of HIS OWN backboard?

Rule 4, Section 18, Article 4, A.R. 13 pertains to a player who dribbles, stops his dribble, and throws the ball off of HIS OPPONENTS backboard. However, I wasnt able to find one about throwing it off of his own backboard.

Savaahn Ty
Either backboard is considered part of the floor. The complication with regard to a player's own backboard is that you must judge whether the "throw" was a try for goal or not. If not, then throwing the ball off the backboard is just like bouncing the ball on the floor.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

I would agree....however

Are you aware of anything specific in the NCAA rule book that pertains to that exact situation? Not a try at all, but a throw off of the backboard.

Looking for the specific rule.

Savaahn Ty
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:

Are you aware of anything specific in the NCAA rule book that pertains to that exact situation? Not a try at all, but a throw off of the backboard.
I can't find anything that deals specifically with your situation. There's an A.R. that deals with throwing the ball off of an opponent's backboard or an official (under the definition of dribbling). Reasoning: this constitutes another dribble. However, there's another A.R. that says that it is legal if A1 dribbles stops, throws the ball against his/her own backboard, jumps, then catches and dunks while airborne (under the definition of try). Reasoning: the backboard is in A's half of the court, hence A1 is entitled to use it. Finally, there's an A.R. that says that it's legal for a thrower-in to throw the ball off the front or side of a backboard. Reasoning: the edge and front face are treated in this case as part of the playing floor.

That's all I could find. You'll have to draw your own conclusions about your situation.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Lotto.....

Rule 4, Section 67, Article 4, A.R.43 states:
A1 intercepts a pass and dribbles toward A’s basket for a break-away layup. Near A’s free-throw line, A1 legally stops and ends his or her dribble. A1 throws the ball
against A’s backboard and follows the throw. While airborne, A1 rebounds the ball off the backboard and dunks. RULING: The play shall be legal since the backboard is equip-ment located in A1’s half of the playing court, which A1 is entitled to use.

Here was the situation:
A1 in a half-court situation, legally ends his dribble. He then throws the ball off of the backboard, catches the ball while still on the floor, takes two steps and scores the layup.

According to the ruling, which says " the backboard is equipment in A1's half of the court, which he is entitles to use", this play would be legal as well, correct?

I take my assumption from the ruling, because it does not say that the play MUST BE airborne, CANNOT take his allotted two steps, etc.... it simply says that A1 is entitled to use his backboard.

What do you think?

Savaahn Ty
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Talking

If someone throws it off their own backboard, grabs it and dunks it, just watch and enjoy it!!
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Talking

JRitchie

I would, had that happened...LOL

But this guy is running towards the basket in a half court situation, picks up the ball, throws it against the backboard, and gets it back while he is still in the floor.. takes two steps in and lays the ball up.

I should have penalized him for degrading Tracy McGrady's infamous dunks!

I was lead on play, and you should have seen the 3 WIDE pairs of eyes go back and forth.

Luckily was only a scrimmage... but.. in a real game situation.....do we have a call???? ( NCAA Rule )

Savaahn Ty
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

No team or player control. No unfair advantage, since all players have an opportunity to get ball, not just shooter.

In other words, it's a rebound. It is legal to dribble or shoot after a rebound.

Not sure about "two steps" being legal. Question should be which foot was pivot foot, and did pivot foot leave and return to ground prior to shot being released.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
his allotted two steps, etc....
Which two steps are those? "Allotted" two steps? If you catch the ball with both feet on the floor, then you're allowed to lift one of them and put it back down. But then the other foot is your pivot and you can't lift it and then put it back down.

If your guy stepped (allotted step 1) and then lifted the other foot and put it down again ("allotted" step 2), you should've had a travel.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Jim,

Everything was done in stride....so he is running towards basket, picks up ball and throws it off of backboard...and if he had gotten a rebound on the run and taken two steps for his lay-up.. that would be legal. So I would assume this play would be as well.

Good thing we didnt blwo our whistles...lol

Thanks guys

Savaahn Ty
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

Ok, let me attempt to explain it better.... and see if it makes a difference.

When he caught the ball, he was running and had not established any pivot foot ( airborne, but not airborne??? ) when he caught the ball, in stride, his first step was with his right foot, then his left...layup.

Hope that explains it more clearly...

Legal play then?

Savaahn Ty
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Either backboard is considered part of the floor. The complication with regard to a player's own backboard is that you must judge whether the "throw" was a try for goal or not. If not, then throwing the ball off the backboard is just like bouncing the ball on the floor.
This is not correct, Lotto. Throwing the ball off the oppononent's backboard is always a dribble. Throwing the ball off your own backboard is never a dribble. The FED book makes this explicit, but it's also true in NCAA. The AR that you posted above gives an obvious example. The player dribbled, ended the dribble, threw off the backboard (obviously not a try -- he was passing to himself), and then caught the ball. If that was considered a dribble, the player would've committed a violation.

It's never part of a dribble to throw off your own backboard.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When he caught the ball, he was running and had not established any pivot foot ( airborne, but not airborne??? ) when he caught the ball, in stride, his first step was with his right foot, then his left...layup.
As long as he caught the rebound with both feet off the floor, that's fine. I got the impression from your previous post that he caught the ball with both feet on the floor. I'll read more carefully next time
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Legal play then, correct?

Is he allowed to dribble again as well? I would think so...

Savaahn Ty
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

LOL.. Thats why I tried to explain the play more accurately.

The other teams coach asked me what I thought, and I said I would have to check the rulebook....because it was my understanding in the past that bouncing it off the backboard was considered a dribble....

I am going to pick up the video tape this morning, and told him I would have an answer for him.... so I will double check the tape and let you know exactly how it went down...

( Thankfully, my VCR comes with slow-motion!! )

Savaahn Ty